Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing CentOS 7 on a HP ProLiant (L5420 CPU)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing CentOS 7 on a HP ProLiant (L5420 CPU)

teochristianteochristian Member
edited June 2019 in Help

I am trying to install CentOS 7 (latest iso) on a HP ProLiant (dual L5420 CPU) dedicated server. I am using KVMoIP for managing the server. The problem is that the installation does not start, crashing with the following errors:

What can I do? I read some posts saying ACPI is causing the error. Disabling seems not to be a solution as I also read that it could cause a single cpu to run properly.

Thanks.

NOTE: I tried installing CentOS 6.5 and it works but I need some CentOS 7 features.

Comments

• Thank you. Yes, I searched on the web for some solutions, checked the post you shared, but all without success...

• BopieBopie Member

is there no way to get a usb put into server with iso on so much easier and faster then doing it via virtual media

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

Probably an issue with the ISO or the way it is put into the server.

• teochristianteochristian Member
    edited June 2019

@FHR Thanks. Unfortunately without success... The ISO is ok.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

If you are trying to do it with a Spider KVM, that's why. It detects the CD-ROM incorrectly.

• @qps said:
    If you are trying to do it with a Spider KVM, that's why. It detects the CD-ROM incorrectly.

Thank you. What other methods are available? The hosting company is offering Lantronix (Spider Duo) for KVMoIP.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
  • Thanks a lot! I did not know that's possible. Will try! Thank you!!!!!!!

• gbshouse said: Install 6.5 and upgrade to 7.x.

Has anyone actually done this? Everything I'd heard was you really shouldn't ( including from actual Red Hat employees ).

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited June 2019

once you have a distro running, not only you can upgrade from versions, you can also reboot (without reinstalling) into a completely different OS, if you for example replace vmlinuz, initrd, sbin/init, and edit grub.

You can even replace an OS without even physically rebooting, if your kernel supports kexec.

• I'm familiar with what you can do. I was more curious as to whether it was a Good Idea (tm). Seriously, last time I talked to Red Hat support they basically said, "Yes, we will support that. No, don't do that."

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

IIRC you can mount a virtual iPXE floppy with Spider KVM.

As soon as you have a working iPXE environment you should be able to load your favourite linux installer from there over network instead of ISO.

I have done this with Debian several times and this document could give you some hints regarding CentOS: https://ipxe.org/howto/rh_san

Of course this is a more advanced and not really plug & play approach.
    But I learned to like iPXE quite a lot. :)

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Do an install over VNC instead... that's probably the easiest thing to do. The CentOS 7 installer is quirky with a lot of different things, not just the Spider KVMs.

• Thank you all! Unfortunately the update from CentOS 6 to 7 failed. Tried multiple methods. As I need very fast the server running I installed Debian 9. Will try iPXE on a new server. Thank you all again.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Could try netboot.xyz (https://netboot.xyz/) ? It's a 1 MB ISO file which has installers for various Linux distros (including CentOS 7)

• @SpeedBus said:
    Could try netboot.xyz (https://netboot.xyz/) ? It's a 1 MB ISO file which has installers for various Linux distros (including CentOS 7)

Thank you! Unfortunately the same error appears.

• BopieBopie Member

@teochristian said:
    Thank you all! Unfortunately the update from CentOS 6 to 7 failed. Tried multiple methods. As I need very fast the server running I installed Debian 9. Will try iPXE on a new server. Thank you all again.

Is it not possible to just ask your DC to plug in a usb for you, its the easiest way without all this hassle, Who is your DC, i only know of hetzner using Lantronix (Spider Duo) but they are popular