Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to manage VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to manage VPS?

2»

Comments

• OujiOuji Member

jsg said: In your case -> just stick with debian (as you already know it and are used to it).

Both debian and CentOs are OK and none is really "better" (besides subjective preferences). But: Do not use Ubuntu on a server. Oh, and in case you want to go really hardcore and puristic -> slackware.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I shouldn't use Ubuntu as a server, can you expand on that? Anyway, the only reason I'm using it right now is because I'm testing Cloudron and for some reason (probably laziness, since it's a paid service) they only support Ubuntu. I've been liking my Debian experience so far.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2019

@Ouji said:

jsg said: In your case -> just stick with debian (as you already know it and are used to it).

Both debian and CentOs are OK and none is really "better" (besides subjective preferences). But: Do not use Ubuntu on a server. Oh, and in case you want to go really hardcore and puristic -> slackware.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I shouldn't use Ubuntu as a server, can you expand on that?

Multiple reasons. The first one is: have a look at its origins and at where they did significant development. It all spells "desktop". Another and somewhat related reason is that Ubuntu can be seen as "debian plus yet another extra layer on top" - but we want a server OS to be slim and slick or at least an attractive compromise between slim and some luxury (like package management). And there are good reasons for that desire, a major one being that every "luxury" layer adds restrictions and dependencies. Slackware on the other hand gives you almost limitless freedom (at the cost of being less convenient).

Both debian and CentOs are widely seen as a good compromise (and well established and proven) for a server OS. Just use one of these and be done.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • EHRAEHRA Member

I use only CentOS 7 for linux servers. Zero problems.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • OujiOuji Member

jsg said: Multiple reasons. The first one is: have a look at its origins and at where they did significant development. It all spells "desktop". Another and somewhat related reason is that Ubuntu can be seen as "debian plus yet another extra layer on top" - but we want a server OS to be slim and slick or at least an attractive compromise between slim and some luxury (like package management). And there are good reasons for that desire, a major one being that every "luxury" layer adds restrictions and dependencies. Slackware on the other hand gives you almost limitless freedom (at the cost of being less convenient).

Both debian and CentOs are widely seen as a good compromise (and well established and proven) for a server OS. Just use one of these and be done.

Thank you again for the advice. I will stick to Debian as I'm more used to use Linux Mint on my desktops. And plus, I'm currently running Yunohost, that needs Debian.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Ouji said:
    Thank you again for the advice. I will stick to Debian as I'm more used to use Linux Mint on my desktops. And plus, I'm currently running Yunohost, that needs Debian.

Smart choice because no matter whether debian or CentOs, to have the same base, in your case debian, means that what you learn on one can be used on the other one too. And that's what's really important, by far more important than debian vs. CentOs: to learn and to master your systems ever better.

Thanked by 2uptime Ouji
  • 123_1123_1 Member

It seems that you didn't try enough Google thing :))

• 123_1123_1 Member

@deank said:
    This is literally like asking how to date women.

You read my mind.