Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VPS in Switzerland
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VPS in Switzerland

I need a very small VPS, the cheaper the better, in Switzerland. This will be used as a gateway, so I don't really care much about CPU, disk etc. Most importantly it should have a good connection, i.e. a 1 Gbps port and the hoster should be reliable.

VZ Type: KVM
Number of Cores: 1
RAM: >= 512 MB
Disk Space: >= 10 GB
Disk Type: don't care

Bandwidth: >= 1 TB / month
Port Speed: 1 Gbps

DDoS Protection: don't care

Number of IPs: 1 ipv4 and ipv6

Budget: <= 5 $ / €

Billing period: don't care, at most yearly

I had a look at FSIT and it looks quite decent, but maybe there are some good alternatives.

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member

Also might check this thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157487/switzerland-vmware-vps-2vcores-10gb-ram-100-gb-sas-1gbit-s-shared-for-8-40-mo for discussion of a vmware-based host using (some?) FSIT infrastructure - some cheaper plans, some concerns - but might be suitable for your requirements as stated (ie, cheap, possibly decent network speeds)

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • ipv6onlyhosting looks really good. Just having the fear that I will end up at some place with no ipv6 connectivity on some work travel. Have to think about that.
    Also saw the storehost one, but no idea how reliable they are. Anyone experience with them?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

ipv6onlyhosting

does look cool. Price is a bit rich for my blood, but I guess par for course in .ch

Also saw the storehost one, but no idea how reliable they are

I suspect you'd be taking a bit of a chance with regard to the long-term outlook for storehost, seems like they could go either way.

As for their current wherewithal - I suppose they're cheap enough to try out for a month to see for yourself (especially given that stuff like network performance is often a YMMV thing for routes to your preferred locations)

• edited June 2019

I was curious and decided to try out datacentrelight.ch after seeing them mentioned here. The server seems generally reasonable. Setup was fast but the control panel is quite bare - can't even restart the server from within the panel.

EU network performance seems great, but performance to elsewhere is a bit lacking over IPv4 in my opinion.

./bench.sh
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU model            : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    Number of cores      : 1
    CPU frequency        : 2400.202 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 10.2 GB (3.7 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 982 MB (157 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 0 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 11 min
    Load average         : 0.25, 0.91, 0.68
    OS                   : Ubuntu 19.04 
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel               : 5.0.0-13-generic
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 145 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 155 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 137 MB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 145.7 MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         72.4MB/s      
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          617KB/s       
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            215KB/s       
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           57.8MB/s      
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           65.7MB/s      
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             316KB/s       
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           6.97MB/s      
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          8.82MB/s      
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            3.31MB/s      
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           7.33MB/s      
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          6.38MB/s      
    Node Name                       IPv6 address            Download Speed
    Linode, Atlanta, GA             2600:3c02::4b           18.7MB/s      
    Linode, Dallas, TX              2600:3c00::4b           13.8MB/s      
    Linode, Newark, NJ              2600:3c03::4b           24.7MB/s      
    Linode, Singapore, SG           2400:8901::4b           12.6MB/s      
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               2400:8900::4b           2.05MB/s      
    Softlayer, San Jose, CA         2607:f0d0:2601:2a::4    7.73MB/s 

Looks like they run on AMD processors, and they pass the following flags to the VM:
    fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm nopl cpuid tsc_known_freq pni cx16 x2apic hypervisor lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch vmmcall

• LvivLviv Member
    edited June 2019

I use inferno.name. The site is mostly in russian but you can change to english at the footer

KVM
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v3 2.6 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    20 GB SSD (RAID 10)
    Unmetered 1000 Mbit
    IPv4: 1 (IPv6 on request)
    Private Layer (Equinix DC) in Zurich

$5/m. (use LET25 to get 25% off the first month)

aff link or link

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores:    2
    Frequency:    2599.996 MHz
    RAM:          2.0G
    Swap:         1.0G
    Kernel:       Linux 3.10.0-514.16.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda     20G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        2.274 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        5.064 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        2.859 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 151.2 us / 225.3 us / 9.62 ms / 97.6 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 6.00 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.46 GiB, 1.20 k iops, 299.9 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    798.23 MiB/s
        2nd run:    953.67 MiB/s
        3rd run:    944.14 MiB/s
        average:    898.68 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         14.25 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        23.42 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   12.05 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      43.55 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         7.28 MiB/s

• i just want to say.you find right good place to ask Request.just check out provider tag,you will get surprise

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@tehdartherer said:
    ipv6onlyhosting looks really good. Just having the fear that I will end up at some place with no ipv6 connectivity on some work travel. Have to think about that.

On request, Ungleich provides free Wireguard based IPv6 VPN tunnels to its VM customers to eliminate this issue. Most Dutch ISPs haven't implemented IPv6 yet, which makes this solution ideal to me :)

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • chrispchrisp Member

@RickBakkr said:

@tehdartherer said:
    ipv6onlyhosting looks really good. Just having the fear that I will end up at some place with no ipv6 connectivity on some work travel. Have to think about that.

On request, Ungleich provides free Wireguard based IPv6 VPN tunnels to its VM customers to eliminate this issue. Most Dutch ISPs haven't implemented IPv6 yet, which makes this solution ideal to me :)

Can you reach that via IPv4 though? It actually reads like it's IPv6 only as well. You said this solution is ideal for you. Do you currently use their additional Wireguard VPN (if yes, how is it as a proxy from NL) or do you mean it would be ideal for you?

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@chrisp said:

@RickBakkr said:

@tehdartherer said:

Can you reach that via IPv4 though? It actually reads like it's IPv6 only as well. You said this solution is ideal for you. Do you currently use their additional Wireguard VPN (if yes, how is it as a proxy from NL) or do you mean it would be ideal for you?

Yes, that's the point of the VPN - to provide IPv6 connectivity where the native connection is lacking one. So, the Wireguard endpoint is IPv4-only, while it thus only provides IPv6 connectivity (IPv4 will still go over the existing connection). Obviously latency is higher than native from NL, given the backhaul to Glarus - yet I have found it to be really useful to access my various IPv6-only VMs from wherever I am :)

Feel free to reach out via DM, if you have any in-depth questions :)

• @RickBakkr said:

This is actually very good news. Thanks for the hint, I guess I will go with them then.

• edited June 2019

Try out fsit.com - I have one, and its working pretty nicely. Comes with 1 ipv4 and 10 ipv6. It is around $6 though, but it comes with 2TB traffic on 1gbps.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited June 2019

@tehdartherer said:
    I need a very small VPS, the cheaper the better, in Switzerland. This will be used as a gateway, so I don't really care much about CPU, disk etc. Most importantly it should have a good connection, i.e. a 1 Gbps port and the hoster should be reliable.

VZ Type: KVM
    Number of Cores: 1
    RAM: >= 512 MB
    Disk Space: >= 10 GB
    Disk Type: don't care

Bandwidth: >= 1 TB / month
    Port Speed: 1 Gbps

DDoS Protection: don't care

Number of IPs: 1 ipv4 and ipv6

Budget: <= 5 $ / €

Billing period: don't care, at most yearly

I had a look at FSIT and it looks quite decent, but maybe there are some good alternatives.

edis.at is 6 € for 512MB RAM, 15GB, 1vCPU, 1TB traffic, 1Gbit "shared uplink", on KVM (and 1ipv4 and some ipv6)

for Zürich

fsit is a better deal. i have used edis before, but not for 3 years or something. it was OK then.

• So, just to let others know:
    I first went for ipv6onlyhosting, but their dashboard is so extremely limited (couldn't even reset my vps by myself) that in the end it was unbearable.
    Then I tried exoscale. Their features are pretty neat and the nodes are blazing fast. But their bandwidth billing is a no-go for me. To be limited below 1.4 GB / h, i.e. the 1 TB bandwidth included stretched to the full 720h a month is not what I need. If you don't go beyond that or stay within reasonable ranges at peak times it seems to be a good deal.
    In the meantime I started a test node at FSIT, but I had very bad peering to the rest of EU. After contacting the support, they fixed the routing for me and now I have excellent connections to all my other EU servers.
    So I can totally recommend FSIT. Very nice, very helpful.

• pikepike Veteran

@tehdartherer said:
    but I had very bad peering to the rest of EU. After contacting the support, they fixed the routing for me and now I have excellent connections to all my other EU servers.

Switzerland is not within the European Union.

• @pike said:
    Switzerland is not within the European Union.

You are absolutely right, meant to write Europe. I'm sry for being that imprecise.

Thanked by 1pike