Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec network: is it good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec network: is it good?

Christ is Risen! Hello!

I have a CPU intensive application which I need to host in US, on a dedicated server. Until now Nocix (I know it for a short time) has a good network but the CPU of the server is a Dual Intel Xeon 5150 (the $22 plan on their site) which has a score of 3426 on cpubenchmark.net. So for this application I would like to get a server from Dacentec ($25) which has 2 x L5420 CPU (this got a 6468 score - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+L5420+@+2.50GHz&id=1259&cpuCount=2 ).

I read some reviews on LET about Dacentec's network and saw there are some users who faced problems on that (100% packet loss on many ISPs) and that Dacentec does not care about that. I found some saying that server IP is getting null routed when downloading big files from the server (as if it was a dos attack). It is true the reviews are years old but the network is such an important factor on my applications.

If someone knows... Please tell me how is the network of Dacentec? And if there are other problems...

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Religion shouldn't be involved in every post lol.

But anyways, it's a good network, the null route part is common though.

• @teochristian said:
    Thanks. I've read that https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/108006/dacentec-com-11-month-review and started to worry about.

If you hard limit your port to like 250mbps or 300mbps you likely won't get null routed. But yeah, they do null route fast and have no slack for DDoS.

Thanked by 2teochristian uptime
  • Their network is awesome, and for the price - you can't go wrong. If you're planning on using a lot of Bandwidth - just add extra cheapo servers.

• Thanks. The null route is a common problem on many providers. Just saw on their facebook page they're offering ddos protection too, from 2018: https://m.facebook.com/Dacentec/posts/1916728668352021

• @t0ny0 said:
    Their network is awesome, and for the price - you can't go wrong. If you're planning on using a lot of Bandwidth - just add extra cheapo servers.

Good to know! Thanks. I will buy one.

• JesusJesus Member

This thread is partly fake news. Just to let you know. Hallelujah!

• I used Dacentec for a few years and never had problems with the network performance. Their service was also quick and efficient.

The only one issue I had was when using the utility rclone to transfer data to Google Drive. Dacentec null routed me based on (according to them) a high packet transfer rate that was consuming too many network resources. Apparently, the network drivers on my server didn't support jumbo packets or weren't efficient with high bandwidth transfers. I never bothered to troubleshoot it, as I'm not an expert in Linux network drivers and didn't want to mess with an otherwise working system. My solution was to simply reduce the transfer rate, which @SirFoxy already suggested.

Thanked by 2uptime teochristian
  • @aj_potc said:
    The only one issue I had was when using the utility rclone to transfer data to Google Drive. Dacentec null routed me based on (according to them) a high packet transfer rate that was consuming too many network resources. Apparently, the network drivers on my server didn't support jumbo packets or weren't efficient with high bandwidth transfers. I never bothered to troubleshoot it, as I'm not an expert in Linux network drivers and didn't want to mess with an otherwise working system. My solution was to simply reduce the transfer rate, which @SirFoxy already suggested.

I've been uploading stuff to GD at 40-50MB/s and haven't encountered problems. YMMV.

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Their network is good for the price. Last time I colocated a server with them they had minimal redundancy (only a single network provider on-site with the rest of their traffic routed through Atlanta so expect increased latency if their main connection gets cut because of construction again). Performance was decent, but others have reported issues if they used too much bandwidth. Routing was weird at times, but their network is definitely unique compared to any other data center I've used so that's probably a side effect.

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • I opened a ticket 12 hours ago. No response. I read they're replying fast. Did something strange happen? Should I resend the ticket or wait more? Thanks!

• @teochristian said:
    I opened a ticket 12 hours ago. No response. I read they're replying fast. Did something strange happen? Should I resend the ticket or wait more? Thanks!

Have faith in what you have read. Strange things can happen, I would suggest waiting. You're welcome!

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • @teochristian said:
    I opened a ticket 12 hours ago. No response. I read they're replying fast. Did something strange happen? Should I resend the ticket or wait more? Thanks!

Their support and network isn't bad for the price but no DDoS protection. For the price, you cannot complained much. Some upgrade options could be limited.

Unless your service went down or network or so, they won't be responding that fast but most of the case is <4 hours you will get response. Not as fast as others.

@dacentec is here.

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

KuJoe said: Their network is good for the price. Last time I colocated a server with them they had minimal redundancy (only a single network provider on-site with the rest of their traffic routed through Atlanta so expect increased latency if their main connection gets cut because of construction again). Performance was decent, but others have reported issues if they used too much bandwidth. Routing was weird at times, but their network is definitely unique compared to any other data center I've used so that's probably a side effect.

I believe they only backhaul to Charlotte now. A client told me that all of their Atlanta peering disappeared about a month ago. Looks like Cogent + Telia only now.

https://bgp.he.net/AS31863#_asinfo

• jurevejureve Member

@mrclown said:

Their support and network isn't bad for the price but no DDoS protection. For the price, you cannot complained much. Some upgrade options could be limited.

Unless your service went down or network or so, they won't be responding that fast but most of the case is <4 hours you will get response. Not as fast as others.

Some time ago I had a server hosted and I think the same. For its price is not bad. :neutral:

• YuraYura Member

It bothers me so much they misspelled Da[ta]center. I mentally clench my teeth each time my eyes read their name.

• @Yura said:
    It bothers me so much they misspelled Da[ta]center. I mentally clench my teeth each time my eyes read their name.

Thanked by 2Yura compuguy
  • YuraYura Member

@SirFoxy said:

@Yura said:

Thanked by 2SirFoxy compuguy
  • @Yura said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Yura said:

Thanked by 2Yura compuguy
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited June 2019

Peering not the best so far away networks are slow, but for my needs the network has been reliable, stable and fast for 2 years now.

• donlidonli Member

I miss my Dacentec VPS.

• teochristianteochristian Member
    edited June 2019

I received the response to my ticket. Even if I got the response after 15 hours, it was great.

EDIT: That happend because there are some working hours on the sales departament (asked some questions before buying). Technical departament is available all the time and answers fast.

• YuraYura Member

@teochristian said:
    I received the response to my ticket... Even if I got the response after 15 hours, it was great.

You sound like a giant pain in the ass type of client.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • teochristianteochristian Member
    edited June 2019

@Yura said:

@teochristian said:
    I received the response to my ticket... Even if I got the response after 15 hours, it was great.

It was a good response. I asked them some questions before buying. The email I used was the one on the website: [email protected]... After getting the server I saw in the email's footer that sales email is not available all the day (but 8:00-17:00). I have sent the e-mail after 17 (I'm on other time zone).

**The support team answers fast (counted in minutes) and fortunately it is available all the time. That's awesome. **

• donlidonli Member

@Yura said:

@teochristian said:

Every ticket sent in represents a failure, the only question is - was it a failure on the part of the client or the provider?

• @teochristian said:

@Yura said:

@teochristian said:

It was a good response. I asked them some questions before buying. The email I used was the one on the website: [email protected]... After getting the server I saw in the email's footer that sales email is not available all the day (but 8:00-17:00). I have sent the e-mail after 17 (I'm on other time zone).

**The support team answers fast (counted in minutes) and fortunately it is available all the time. That's awesome. **

FYI, opening a ticket (implying support request) is very much different than pre-sales question sent to an email address. You're only going to hurt your credibility when you misrepresent like that.

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2019

It's been awhile since I've used Dacentec...kinda tempted to order one of their cheap dedis now. Someone on their Facebook page said they fixed their filtering so you no longer get nulled doing certain speeds. They also have DDoS protection for $10 now too.

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • @sin said:
    It's been awhile since I've used Dacentec...kinda tempted to order one of their cheap dedis now. Someone on their Facebook page said they fixed their filtering so you no longer get nulled doing certain speeds. They also have DDoS protection for $10 now too.

Thank you! I ordered one. The network is really great. I asked them about the DDoS protection and it seems the $10 addon protects you from very large attacks (up to 1Tbps).

Thanked by 1compuguy