Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway DC5 Threat of Explosion + Fire
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway DC5 Threat of Explosion + Fire

RossGRossG Member, Host Rep

Scaleway has reported a threat of fire and explosion at their DC5 in France due to a nearby building catching fire.

Probably a good idea to get your stuff backed up just in case.

This morning, a fire has started on the building next to our DC5 datacenter. Authorities are on site and currently fighting against the fire. We are heavily mobilized to monitor the situation and keeping our datacenter safe.

Authorities have warned us about chemical products being stored in this neighboor building. There is an explosion threat for the moment.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2019
  • donlidonli Member

@Neoon said:
    Look, it just made a burp

Technically that was probably a BLEVE...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_liquid_expanding_vapor_explosion

• IshaqIshaq Member

@sin said:
    Thanks, just migrated my stuff over to AlphaRacks to be on the safe side!

Wise move.

• boerndboernd Member

So they placed a DC next to a building where chemical products are stored.

• pikepike Veteran

@boernd said:
    So they placed a DC next to a building where chemical products are stored.

Where would you place a DC?

• boerndboernd Member

Next to a nuclear power plant like OVH did in GRA.

• @Ishaq said:

@sin said:
    Thanks, just migrated my stuff over to AlphaRacks to be on the safe side!

Wise move.

AlphaRacks isn’t offline — they’ve just blocked incoming connections to protect against brute force attacks.

You’re essentially paying for a VPS with only outbound connectivity. ;)

/s

• They probably forgot to replace their UPS batteries though.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@doghouch said:
    AlphaRacks isn’t offline — they’ve just blocked incoming connections to protect against brute force attacks.

They're resting!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Situation taken care of. No more danger.

• @boernd said:
    Next to a nuclear power plant like OVH did in GRA.

Tis but a Chest Xray. 3.6 Roentgen

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

They put a wall there and an actual moat

Europe and your tradition of castle building.

Thanked by 2uptime sin
  • mikmakmikmak Member

the wall was a specific fire protection wall (knowing the industries around our datacenter, we knew this kind of situation could happen, we already faced a fire near our other datacenter DC2 a few years back, not that big though) so we designed specific protections for this new DC (apparently the wall was designed to hold 2 hours, it survived for 10, so that's pretty good performance ;)

the moat is actually a water retention storage which can be used in fighting fires in the area (also part of the previous point) (used to be a tennis court actually here ;)
    but everything went well, fire is almost extinguished (random fumes here and there), firefighters will stay in the area for a while to make sure it does not start again (chemicals fun ...),
    so in the end, we had no damages on our infrastructure so we are pretty satisfied with that, but that was a very stressing day for our staff and firefighters (I am told a few ones were slightly injured too...), let's hope tomorrow will be easier for everyone ;)

• @mikmak said:
    (apparently the wall was designed to hold 2 hours, it survived for 10, so that's pretty good performance ;)

Did the wall collapse after 10 hours, or was the fire put out after 10 hours?

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

Oh my god :neutral: at least that's good thing that the fire is under control by now. Really terrible incident.

• mikmakmikmak Member

@teamacc said:

@mikmak said:
    (apparently the wall was designed to hold 2 hours, it survived for 10, so that's pretty good performance ;)

Did the wall collapse after 10 hours, or was the fire put out after 10 hours?

it collapsed after 10 hours and at the time the biggest part of the fire was already contained (but it was still burning), I guess water also affected the stability of the wall in the end

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited June 2019

H + 24h: firefighters are still largely mobilized on the site. I decided to evacuate and put out of work my guys and our logistics center because of smells and smoke -> No technical support provided on DC5 / DC5A until Wednesday morning at best.

Aftermath.

We have detected a fiber break on a span between TH2 and DC5. Span between DC5 and DC3 is still up and traffic still flows through this optical path with 400G capacity. We are investigating with our dark fiber provider.

It even gets worse... sounds like sabotage at some point.

https://status.scaleway.com/

• LeviLevi Member

Neoon said: It even gets worse... sounds like sabotage at some point.

Oles (OVH) smiling right now with cold bottle of Crystal champagne...

• donlidonli Member

@Neoon said:
    We have detected a fiber break on a span between TH2 and DC5. Span between DC5 and DC3 is still up and traffic still flows through this optical path with 400G capacity. We are investigating with our dark fiber provider.

Sounds like a backhoe.

edited June 2019

@LTniger said:

Neoon said: It even gets worse... sounds like sabotage at some point.

Oles (OVH) smiling right now with cold bottle of Crystal champagne...

Well, OVH lost 3 different power uplinks.
    Thats a bigger fuck up compared to Online.

How the fuck can you loose 3 different, independent power connections?
    And then, you did not saved your network config to disk, only in memory. #rip
    Only the french can pull that off.

• @Neoon said:

Heaven:
    English policemen
    German engineers
    French shefs

Hell:
    German policemen
    English shefs
    French engineers :)

Hope this all ends well, with no one else getting injured (and all the firefighters getting well) and no data/money getting lost.

@Neoon said:
    H + 24h: firefighters are still largely mobilized on the site. I decided to evacuate and put out of work my guys and our logistics center because of smells and smoke -> No technical support provided on DC5 / DC5A until Wednesday morning at best.

Wise and ethical decision - respect.

• level6level6 Member
    edited June 2019

The location isn't surprising. The datacenter that I frequent occationally is "down by the river" - not prime real estate, and not much higher than sea level. I would think a recipe for disaster, but miraculously (to me) been OK, even after some major flooding in the area.

• roastroast Member

@donli said:

@Neoon said:

Sounds like a backhoe.

What do you mean?

• level6level6 Member

@roast said:

@donli said:

@Neoon said:

Sounds like a backhoe.

What do you mean?

Not that kind of "hoe" - a backhoe used for digging.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@bikegremlin said:

@Neoon said:

Heaven:
    English policemen
    German engineers
    French shefs

Hell:
    German policemen
    English shefs
    French engineers :)

FWIW: According to my experience french engineers aren't worse (and in some areas even better) than german or brit engineers. Unless, of course, the cafeteria chef is a brit. In that case the french engineers will end up killed, either by the food or by suicide.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@roast said:

@donli said:
    Sounds like a backhoe.

What do you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backhoe

"backhoe fade":
    A circuit or network failure caused by a cable-seeking backhoe, posthole digger, auger, or other piece of earth-moving equipment.
    https://www.yourdictionary.com/backhoe-fade#computer

• roastroast Member

@level6 said:

@roast said:

@donli said:

@Neoon said:

Sounds like a backhoe.

What do you mean?

Not that kind of "hoe" - a backhoe used for digging.

Oh, these days things are so screwed up that words like these confuses me. I would never want the word daddy to be used as a sexual slang just so disgusting