Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good specs for OpenVPN server (~100 users) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good specs for OpenVPN server (~100 users)

2»

Comments

• @yongsiklee said:

@t0ny0 said:

@yongsiklee said:

@t0ny0 said:

@yongsiklee said:

@SirFoxy said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

@SirFoxy said:
    C) Cocks

Do you want to fight?

@yongsiklee said:

@jsg said:
    As it came up: I did not recommend SoftEther mainly for two reasons. (a) The context is company use and (b) I don't trust SoftEther. It's visibly written in a Windows mindset, his declarations re. security clearly show that his understanding fo security is very limited and so does the source code. Plus SoftEther being able to basically emulate a whole lot of other solutions from Cisco to IPSec and openvpn strongly suggests that security was not a concern but an afterthought at best.

As a result I'd consider SoftEther to be an interesting project for many things (study, research, playing,...) but not as something I's seriously consider for company (or other serious) use.

WireGuard on the other hand clearly shows that all the relevant factors have been considered from the start. Plus critical parts actually have been formally verified. The big minus is the missing official Windows version which may or may not be critical for users. I personally don't care, most companies however absolute need official Windows support.

I use the only and one Tunsafe for Wireguard windows client for now.
    While Tunsafe is not supported by Wireguard dev., it works like a charm.
    It seems that Tunsafe is 100% committed no matter what.
    Wireguard developers are, meanwhile, rumored soon to release its own Windows version.
    And many are now saying that due to a huge potential market share, lots of windows clients for Wireguard will appear in the next few years.

They did release it

🐓

Could you provide me with a link to it?

http://bfy.tw/NyvI
    Literally the first result.

Is it Windows "client?"

Yes.

Thank you.

Usually wireguard can work as both client and server, depending on the configuration that you give it.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@t0ny0 said:

@yongsiklee said:

@t0ny0 said:

@yongsiklee said:

@t0ny0 said:

@yongsiklee said:

@SirFoxy said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

@SirFoxy said:
    C) Cocks

Do you want to fight?

@yongsiklee said:

@jsg said:
    As it came up: I did not recommend SoftEther mainly for two reasons. (a) The context is company use and (b) I don't trust SoftEther. It's visibly written in a Windows mindset, his declarations re. security clearly show that his understanding fo security is very limited and so does the source code. Plus SoftEther being able to basically emulate a whole lot of other solutions from Cisco to IPSec and openvpn strongly suggests that security was not a concern but an afterthought at best.

As a result I'd consider SoftEther to be an interesting project for many things (study, research, playing,...) but not as something I's seriously consider for company (or other serious) use.

WireGuard on the other hand clearly shows that all the relevant factors have been considered from the start. Plus critical parts actually have been formally verified. The big minus is the missing official Windows version which may or may not be critical for users. I personally don't care, most companies however absolute need official Windows support.

I use the only and one Tunsafe for Wireguard windows client for now.
    While Tunsafe is not supported by Wireguard dev., it works like a charm.
    It seems that Tunsafe is 100% committed no matter what.
    Wireguard developers are, meanwhile, rumored soon to release its own Windows version.
    And many are now saying that due to a huge potential market share, lots of windows clients for Wireguard will appear in the next few years.

They did release it

🐓

Could you provide me with a link to it?

http://bfy.tw/NyvI
    Literally the first result.

Is it Windows "client?"

Yes.

Thank you.

Usually wireguard can work as both client and server, depending on the configuration that you give it.

Yes, like a peer to peer encrypted network.
    Thank you.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Official repo says:
    This is a fully-featured WireGuard client for Windows that uses Wintun.

(Emphasis mine. link -> https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-windows/about/)

But note that the official install page also says:

Windows [pre-alpha – v0.0.10]

(Emphasis mine)

• @jsg said:

Official repo says:
    This is a fully-featured WireGuard client for Windows that uses Wintun.

(Emphasis mine. link -> https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-windows/about/)

But note that the official install page also says:

Windows [pre-alpha – v0.0.10]

(Emphasis mine)

Oh nice! They now have a way to build it from Linux. No more looking for a Windows 10 machine for me! YEY! :-)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2019

My personal take is that Wireguard can be used now in environments with Windows clients if the context is not production. Testing and playing and getting aquainted with it, yes, but e.g. in a company context, clearly NO.