Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slice VS Reseller Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slice VS Reseller Hosting

Hi Folks,

Need some advice. I have about 71 websites on a reseller hosting plan. None of the websites are high traffic sites. They all belong to small businesses within a small town. They get about 20 visits per site. All the sites are built on Wordpress. Lately I am finding that the sites are slow (CPU usage on the server seems to be high)

I am thinking about getting a dedicated slice to alleviate the speed issue. Quick question

1) Would SLICE 4096 from BuyVM suffice or I need something bigger to handle the load
2) Can I easily restore cpanel backups into DirectAdmin or the migration is going to be a pain
3) @Francisco, are the slices managed?

Thanks.

Comments

• donlidonli Member

(1) Find out what is using so much cpu.

• Do some of the sites with '20 visits' have high cpu usage? Or does the server have high cpu usage? If it's the server, maybe you can consider moving to another provider. If some sites have abnormal loads with low traffic, you have to find out what's going on.

In any case, getting your own vps/dedi is a huge step up from just using using a reseller hosting plan. It may not be very worth it if all your websites have low traffic.

• Slices are unmanaged

• mk1mk1 Member

Do they need to be WordPress? I have a bunch of similar small sites I've converted to static sites for speed & security.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@aaronstuder said:
    Slices are unmanaged

Not on the highest plan.

• mansoormansoor Member

@mk1 said:
    Do they need to be WordPress? I have a bunch of similar small sites I've converted to static sites for speed & security.

So much easier to update. They have contact forms, etc. It just makes life so much easier.

• mansoormansoor Member

@smallbibi said:
    Do some of the sites with '20 visits' have high cpu usage? Or does the server have high cpu usage? If it's the server, maybe you can consider moving to another provider. If some sites have abnormal loads with low traffic, you have to find out what's going on.

In any case, getting your own vps/dedi is a huge step up from just using using a reseller hosting plan. It may not be very worth it if all your websites have low traffic.

Not at all. However, the resellers server usually has a CPU load of 24+ and they go 32 CPUs

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Try another reseller. It is probably cheaper than a vps and "managed". Choose some provider with a money back guarantee and cPanel import. If the performance gets better, great. If it doesn't, find out what's causing it :)

• mansoormansoor Member

@Ympker said:
    Try another reseller. It is probably cheaper than a vps and "managed". Choose some provider with a money back guarantee and cPanel import. If the performance gets better, great. If it doesn't, find out what's causing it :)

Tried of migrating from host to host. Each reseller got its own issues.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@mansoor said:

@Ympker said:

It's the same with VPS though. All providers will have their issues. Anyway, if you feel better getting a slice, then by all means: Go for it.

• donlidonli Member

@mansoor said:

@Ympker said:

Then:
    (1) Find out what is using so much cpu.

• (2) setup full page caching and have the webserver serve static pages for example: https://www.keycdn.com/support/wordpress-cache-enabler-plugin#apache

4GB ram slice would be enough as a 512 MB well configured VPS could probably be more than enough.

• YuraYura Member

You are providing hosting for 71 business owners and your budget is $15.

Make your own conclusions.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • poissonpoisson Member

I would say you get more control with a VPS, although noisy neighbours can also negatively affect your sites. Caching is a key way to reduce WordPress server load. Also, check your plugins to make sure you only activate the really necessary ones.