Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible to upgrade video driver on Windows 2012r2 KVM VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible to upgrade video driver on Windows 2012r2 KVM VPS?

I bought a really nice KVM VPS with Windows 2012 a few days ago. I'm just testing out it's capabilities, and I see it is using the Microsoft Basic Video Driver. I tried to run Dwarf Fortress on it (it was in my dropbox)...just to see if it could handle it...and I get a graphics error. DF graphics are pretty limited, but it looks like the driver won't do SDL Tiles. I see stuff online about VirtIO drivers, but I think you have to have that enabled on the server side..and I guess I would have to ask the host to enable...which I guess they would want to charge me for? are there any other windows video drivers I could install on a KVM VPS that might be able to process SDL? or should I just submit a ticket and ask my host? (or is it just not going to happen and I should quit while I'm ahead)? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• VirtIO drivers are usually installed from a CD image you mount. I don't see any reason you couldn't just download and install drivers directly. Even VirtIO drivers, just download the iso and extract everything with winrar/7zip

• I tried that, it says the best driver is already installed...which is the MS Basic driver. But virtio should be better than the basic driver right?

• it's impossible unless your kvm configured with vga card pass through. Standard kvm doesn't have any capable vga card only a basic one.. if it is VMware based VM/VPS, it possible to manually add a basic 3d graphic card without pass through but it's not for some heavy game / software.. pass through vga still the best and expensive...

If you want to know more you can read this thread for some basic information : https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/141701/are-you-offering-vga-with-your-kvm-vps-offers

• Cool..thanks for the info!