Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nuking a container that's maxed out on RAM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nuking a container that's maxed out on RAM

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

I have a VPS maxed on out RAM, can't SSH in and reboot/shutdown commands from SolusVM say they've succeeded but haven't... so the box is online but won't respond to any commands I can give it.

I'm wondering

• Is the VPS provider easily able to shutdown the container?
  • Is this common?
  • Should I be running a crontab to kill any processed over X Megabytes?

Cheers

Comments

• RocksterRockster Member
    edited October 2013

You should be still able to reboot/shutdown it over SolusVM control panel. It must be something else. Provider can kill it anytime. Support ticket seems your only option now.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • Good to know and I'd thought that Solus should have been able to reboot no problem. The provider is responsive so hopefully they can kill the instance for me.

• c0yc0y Member

how are you so sure it's maxing out RAM when it can't get in?

I'm sure the OOM-killer would have given a hand of help if it truely was maxing out RAM

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

is it openvz or other

this generally happens if any of the mounts are full/maxed out or the ram is maxed out.

you will need to do a proper reboot (may be your provider can help you...)

it may also be a disk sector failure.

also your vps may have been compromissed...

Also there is no set rule for this, my points are what i have experienced in my dummy environment, yours may be different than mine...

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2013

It's OpenVZ

how are you so sure it's maxing out RAM when it can't get in?

SolusVM is saying RAM usage is at the max and a serial console is complaining it can't fork a process. It has the hallmarks of it.

It's a provider that gives no default swap but apparently I can create swap on there myself, so I'll be doing that when I can get back in.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

I had something similar happen couple days ago.. tried to install php but for some reason it created a high load on the node I was on.

My cpu was reading 0.0% but load average was around 16, all the commands in soluvmVM says completed and success but it never really got initiated in the actual vps..

It took them a while but they did finally shutdown the vps.. not sure what really happened but it's working ok now.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • maxed ram or maxed diskspace?
    i remember one of my client have issue like that because he maxed out his diskspace.

• c0yc0y Member

Hmmm, odd, ticket your provider tell them to kill -9 your container's init (the only possibly way if vzctl won't do it I guess)

Actually, why didn't you ticket your provider in the first place lol

• Dangerous to assume what you don't know ;o)

I've already created a ticket about maxed out RAM and recently added to the ticket that they are free to kill the instance.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

vzctl stop VZID --fast also does something similar, it kills the container (no wait for clean shutdown)

• Thanks for the pointers chaps, I'll leave it with the provider. Good to know that even the greenest provider would be able to deal with something like this.

• c0yc0y Member

@ricardo said:
    Thanks for the pointers chaps, I'll leave it with the provider. Good to know that even the greenest provider would be able to deal with something like this.

Greenest in what sense?

• @ricardo said:
    Good to know that even the greenest provider would be able to deal with something like this.

I wouldn't be too sure. Some providers are the SolusVM Button types, and have no idea how to do anything involving such scary terms like "SSH", or "bash", and especially not "kill -9 init".