Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managed Borg Backup Hosting (US/EU) from $25/year, 5GB free trial – 20% off
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managed Borg Backup Hosting (US/EU) from $25/year, 5GB free trial – 20% off

m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

BorgBase started out to make remote backups with Borg simple and secure. Since then we ran a large beta-program here on LET and launched an open source backup client for desktops.

Main features:
- Everything encrypted, only you control the key
- Append-Only mode prevents any changes to existing backups
- Minimal upload and space usage, everything is compressed and deduplicated client-side
- Monitoring: get notified of broken or missing backups
- API to #AutomateAllTheThings
- Full details and docs

Upcoming features:
We love feedback and regularly add new features. If you are missing a feature, suggest it here. Some exciting features are already in the pipeline. Like multi-factor authentication using WebAuthn/U2F (in addition to existing 2FA) and better logging of all repo events.

Pricing: (before discount)
- Small plan, $25/year: 100GB and 10 repos, $.01/GB/month thereafter.
- Large plan, $15/month or $150/year: 2TB and unlimited repos, $.005/GB/month thereafter
- Custom plans or private deployments: get in touch

To say "Thank You" for the support and feedback LET has provided, we are offering the following coupon for 20% off to all LET- and beta users:

BETA19 (valid until July 31, limited to 50 redemptions)

If you have any questions, just post them here or PM me.

Registration and full details: BorgBase.com

Thanked by 3uptime bjo TimboJones

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member

Any 1TB plan availble? And does the discounts also apply to the 'thereafter' price?

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

@sanvit said:
    Any 1TB plan availble? And does the discounts also apply to the 'thereafter' price?

There is an unofficial 1TB plan for $80/year. Fill in your billing details, then get in touch and I'll add a custom invoice. Maybe time to make it official.

The discount doesn't apply to extra usage, which is currently recorded, but not charged at all. Still thinking about the details. And very few users went significantly over their limit.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@m4nu said:

@sanvit said:

There is an unofficial 1TB plan for $80/year. Fill in your billing details, then get in touch and I'll add a custom invoice. Maybe time to make it official.

The discount doesn't apply to extra usage, which is currently recorded, but not charged at all. Still thinking about the details. And very few users went significantly over their limit.

Does the 20% discount apply to the 1TB plan too?

sanvit said: Does the 20% discount apply to the 1TB plan too?

Yes. I can't think of the reason why it shouldn't. :smiley:

• I have been backing up using borg to another VPS, this might be a better choice. I assume have 100% compatibility with command line based linux clients and not just focussing on the desktop clients ?

And does the discounts also apply to the 'thereafter' price?

And yes, please confirm on the renewal rates.

Will sign up as soon as you confirm.

vinayaga said: And yes, please confirm on the renewal rates.

The discount won't apply to your next invoice, when you renew the subscription. But you can lock it in by e.g. getting the annual plan.

If you mean the 'thereafter' price or charge for additional space: That's not charged at all for now (100% discount). If you go way above your quota, I may suggest a different plan.

• Thanks, thank helps. Will sign up today.

Just out of curiosity, I see your posts in a few forums. Are you a single person running this new business at this point or have a team managing this business ?

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@vinayaga said:
    Thanks, thank helps. Will sign up today.

Just out of curiosity, I see your posts in a few forums. Are you a single person running this new business at this point or have a team managing this business ?

The Borg is a collective managed by a man named Locutus.

(PS: Resistance is futile.)

donli said: The Borg is a collective managed by a man named Locutus.

(PS: Resistance is futile.)

LOL. It's mostly me for now. I may or may not be a cyborg. Or a dog.

I've been offering backup services to my existing enterprise customers for the last few years. When I moved from rsync to Borg, I was missing some features that BorgBase now offers. Like monitoring, easy repo setup, multiple SSH keys, repo isolation and append-only.

Thanked by 1bjo
  • Just signed up and paid for the small plan. Your servers are really fast at this point and it was great to see the files zipping through. Hope you can maintain this speed and keep the backups really really safe :-)

And yes, I myself run a one man organization and know its a lot of effort ! I wish you all the very best in this venture.

vinayaga said: And yes, I myself run a one man organization and know its a lot of effort ! I wish you all the very best in this venture.

Thanks for subscribing and the wishes! Always trying to deliver a great service. Just what I'd expect from my suppliers.

• Great service. Ill test it for my secondary backup solution.

One suggestion:
    Please show the text 2FA key also, instead of only the QR-code.
    With the 2FA solution I use, I cannot scan QR codes and have to work around it by first scanning it with my phone and then manually type the text key into my application.

Thanks!

MagicalTrain said: Please show the text 2FA key also, instead of only the QR-code.

Excellent idea! Already added. Saw this somewhere else and was planning to add it anyways.

Personally I also like WebAuthn/U2F, which will be added next (but is slightly more involved than TOTP).

Thanked by 2MagicalTrain Galeej
  • GaleejGaleej Member

Ordered one, thanks

• donlidonli Member

@Galeej said:
    Ordered one, thanks

Another one assimilated.

• Im using this service for a few months now, and its great! @m4nu made a great job and gives excellent support!

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • Maybe look at offering some kind of replication between regions?

I have no issue with paying for the space twice since it's essentially asking you to keep an extra copy but it would be nice if the replication can be triggered you side instead of running backups twice.

also @m4nu if it is just you then hopefully you have contingency plans in place to keep the lights on should anything happen to you. Last thing anyone wants is backups vanishing because you were unavailable for a period of time for whatever reason.

dragon2611 said: also @m4nu if it is just you then hopefully you have contingency plans in place to keep the lights on should anything happen to you. Last thing anyone wants is backups vanishing because you were unavailable for a period of time for whatever reason.

Good point, since my other hobbies are rock climbing and diving. :smile: I initially thought about this when I set up my first mailserver many years ago. Since then I share some essential docs with a trusted friend (who also works in IT) in a central place. He can get a general idea from there, but has no access codes, which would be passed on from one of two emergency contacts if anything happens to me. So no single person can get access at will.

How are you guys planning for this anyways? Any better setups?

dragon2611 said: I have no issue with paying for the space twice since it's essentially asking you to keep an extra copy but it would be nice if the replication can be triggered you side instead of running backups twice.

Actually Borgmatic allows you to specify multiple target repos. This could be used to create redundant backups in a very simple way. E.g. to some internal repos and to BorgBase in one or two regions.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • amarcamarc Veteran

Hi, I would gladly take 500GB or 1TB per month basis.. Is there something like that ?

amarc said: Hi, I would gladly take 500GB or 1TB per month basis.. Is there something like that ?

There is a 1TB plan, but it's annually. The 2TB plan is monthly.

If you don't want to commit for a year in the beginning, I can add a quarterly option for the 1TB plan. Or we agree that you get a refund for unused time forever, if you don't need it any more.

• any other discount?

@DeepBoom007 said:
    any other discount?

You can still use the code BETA19 for 20% off. I just increased the number of uses for it.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • amarcamarc Veteran

m4nu said: There is a 1TB plan, but it's annually. The 2TB plan is monthly.

If you don't want to commit for a year in the beginning, I can add a quarterly option for the 1TB plan. Or we agree that you get a refund for unused time forever, if you don't need it any more.

I can hardly justify even 500GB when compressed.. I like looks and feels but I will pass, since Hetzner storage box is just under 5 euros for 500GB

edited June 2019

amarc said: I can hardly justify even 500GB when compressed.. I like looks and feels but I will pass, since Hetzner storage box is just under 5 euros for 500GB

If you would like to convert to EUR, BorgBase is EUR 4.69/month[1] for 1TB and you get a few more Borg-related features and simpler isolation. But up to you :smile:. Similar product. I used it for a while too.

1: 80*.8/12*0.879090=4.688
    2: 1 USD = 0.879090 EUR, via xe.com