Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice for running my own mail server. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need advice for running my own mail server.

13»

Comments

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@Jona4s said:
    anyone knows if OVH/Hetzner vps block port 25?

I don't believe so, but OVH tends to insta-block on any spam, so might not be the best option.

• verjinverjin Member

use mailchannel I am using it and found no issue so far

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@verjin said:

My goal is to save money. ;)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@Jona4s said:
    anyone knows if OVH/Hetzner vps block port 25?

I just checked with a colleague, and we do not block ports for our cloud servers. --Katie

Thanked by 2default Jona4s
  • Check out openbsd + opensmtpd , its great and a lot of documentation

• @KuJoe said:

@verjin said:

My goal is to save money. ;)

I doubt you are going to save Money, when it comes to the time you invest in making your mail server work. See if you can find a prebuilt solution.

https://crossbox.io/features/email (paid)

https://www.iredmail.org/ (free)

https://mailinabox.email/ (free cli)

Otherwise... I'd search up some guides.

In my experience you also need to find a provider willing to handle your email server, and has good terms. An example of where it could go wrong is like hivelocity:

You accidentally get your email server hosed, and it starts sending spam... Well cough up them dollars boy!

Also double check against a few online testers. https://mxtoolbox.com/ Specifically to make sure you aren't an open forwarder. You will also need to probably need to generate dmarc, and SPF records to even get your mail delivered from your domain.

Ugh... Now I want to build up an email server for fun, but god it is such a mess.

• Just get a reseller account with cPanel or DirectAdmin and its all done. They use exim and it works fine. You can host as many accounts/domains as you have room for.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited June 2019

@AlyssaD quite a number provider have something like in that in thier terms and condition they will bill you X amount for a blacklist IP.

Generally providers wouldn't bill you if you accidentally get blacklisted e.g hacked account and you attempt to get it unlisted your self i think it more there for user that planning to use it for spamming.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

AlyssaD said: I doubt you are going to save Money, when it comes to the time you invest in making your mail server work. See if you can find a prebuilt solution.

I don't mind spending time as long as my monthly cost is $0 out of pocket. :smile:

AlyssaD said: In my experience you also need to find a provider willing to handle your email server, and has good terms.

I'm a good provider willing to handle my e-mail server. :lol:

jnelson3149 said: Just get a reseller account with cPanel or DirectAdmin and its all done.

I might as well stick with Google. No access to the hardware, a monthly/yearly cost, limited access to the data/backups, no control over the IPs/network, etc... no thanks.

• @Razza said:
    @AlyssaD quite a number provider have something like in that in thier terms and condition they will bill you X amount for a blacklist IP.

Generally providers wouldn't bill you if you accidentally get blacklisted e.g hacked account and you attempt to get it unlisted your self i think it more there for user that planning to use it for spamming.

Not saying that isn't true, but there is providers out there who will capitalize on it if allowed to. $500 is no small amount of change.