Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reliable provider in NY/NJ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

reliable provider in NY/NJ?

2»

Comments

• KrisKris Member

MrRadic said: there's just a lack of data centers

Nah. These are the ones just within range of One Wilshire - sort of like how others are near Piscataway.

Also beyond CoreSite, literally within site of One Wilshire one of the 2 Digital Realty locations. You should tour OW or DRT across the street, nice buildings if you have the $$$.

Otherwise, off to Quadranet's One Wilshire Annex, or their new DC down by the airport.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2019

@Kris said:

Nah. These are the ones just within range of One Wilshire - sort of like how others are near Piscataway.

Also beyond CoreSite, literally within site of One Wilshire one of the 2 Digital Realty locations. You should tour OW or DRT across the street, nice buildings if you have the $$$.

Otherwise, off to Quadranet's One Wilshire Annex, or their new DC down by the airport.

Have you toured any of those on the map? I can tell you first hand, I wouldn't put my servers in many of those.

Digital Realty and CoreSite were the only two facilities I toured there that resembled a real data center. I didn't tour the Equinix facility.

You're comparing Los Angeles, CA to Piscataway, NJ. You should be comparing major cities such as NYC to Los Angeles. LA has a serious lack of real data centers (in my experience).

• @MrRadic said:

@Kris said:

Have you toured any of those on the map? I can tell you first hand, I wouldn't put my servers in many of those.

Digital Realty and CoreSite were the only two facilities I toured there that resembled a real data center.

sir I can Colo u in my parents basement very redundant 100mbps residential uplink

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@SirFoxy said:

sir I can Colo u in my parents basement very redundant 100mbps residential uplink

That's what half of LA "data centers" resemble unfortunately.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @MrRadic said:

@SirFoxy said:

That's what half of LA "data centers" resemble unfortunately.

erotic

• KrisKris Member

MrRadic said: Have you toured any of those on the map? I can tell you first hand, I wouldn't put my servers in many of those.

I have servers in One Wilshire - one of the nicest data centers I have been in. Worked there many times after fleeing OW Annex, toured DRT across the street as well as Equinix a few down there. I was in LA for a few years.

Those are 3 actual data centers in my opinion. Many levels of One Wilshire Annex is a joke, and no comment about a data center by the airport with dark fiber back their One Wilshire annex with minimal backup.

MrRadic said: You're comparing Los Angeles, CA to Piscataway, NJ. You should be comparing major cities such as NYC to Los Angeles. LA has a serious lack of real data centers (in my experience).

NYC is going to be chock full of data centers more than any other city due to stock traders where fractions of milliseconds count. With the NYSE there, you're going to pay for that real-estate as well... which is why companies like yours advertise 'NYCM' / NYC Metro when you're nearly 40 miles away in Piscataway.

Not to mention it's idiotic to colocate in Manhattan after Sandy, etc. when basement pumps failed and you had techs running up stairs with gas cans at many places, or Atlantic Metro losing servers during the flood.

Bit of a difference distance wise too. Also beyond DRT and QTS, the other data center in Piscataway looks like the ones you talk about in horror. Little office built in 1983 that they converted part to a 'data center'

So there are many of those in NJ as well, riding on the fact that Piscataway has fiber.

NYC to Piscataway:

NYC to Secacus (less BS IMO) :

• @Kris said:
    Just saying Piscataway isn't exactly the pinnacle of data centers. It's in a crappy town, with fiber options. No IX's nearby besides ' Amsterdam Internet Exchange - NJ' so it can't hold a candle to Equinix with their MMR / NYIIX options, or even DRT.

It's cheap though, and reliable. Just don't call it one of the nicest data centers in NJ. It's self-serving at best.

I'm not defending the datacenter, but I have specifically seen traceroutes from my servers in Choopa that do indeed use the NYIIX to reach other New York-area hosts. I don't know if they peer with everybody on the NYIIX, but there appears to be a connection at least.

As an example, here's an MTR from Choopa to the New York Internet datacenter in lower Manhattan:

1.|-- vl207-c4-12-b2-1.pnj1.choopa.net    0.0%    10    0.4   0.4   0.3   0.4   0.0
    2.|-- 10.64.16.33                         0.0%    10    0.7  15.2   0.1 113.1  35.1
    3.|-- 10.64.0.26                          0.0%    10    1.4   0.9   0.7   1.4   0.2
    4.|-- nyiix-cs50.nyi.net                  0.0%    10    1.2   5.9   0.7  33.0  10.9
    5.|-- nyiix-cs50.nyi.net                  0.0%    10    1.2   7.0   1.2  47.9  14.7
    6.|-- 64.90.166.34.static.nyinternet.net  0.0%    10    1.2   1.4   1.1   3.1   0.6

Thanked by 1Kris
  • KrisKris Member
    edited June 2019

You can get to NYIIX, it's just via some dark fiber (see hops 2 and 3) - same with 165 Halsey MMR. I can see ReliableSite is there, best in NJ. It's just extra leg work when you're 40 miles out of NYC.

I didn't mean to put Piscataway down too much in this thread. It's reliable, it's fast, it's just not the pinnacle of data centers when you have places like Equinix in Secaucus. Also DRT in Clifton & Cologix at NAC's old sites that have blends and interconnectivity that started in 1995

Here's an old example of NAC's setup.

That picture is so old only Octagon and a few others are there, Cedar Knolls (MMU) wasn't even added yet, but you can get an idea of the type of transit and redundancy they had... back in the 90's.

• edited June 2019

Choopa/ReliableServers. You will thank me. I think they also run Vultr. That NJ datacenter they are in is very good. Very good history of uptime and excellent connectivity. Although, as luck would have it, they had an outage yesterday. Probably DDoS based on observations.

ReliableServers is also owned by Choopa as far as I know. Not to be confused with ReliableSite which is a different provider that resells on the Choopa network.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:
    Choopa/ReliableServers. You will thank me. I think they also run Vultr. That NJ datacenter they are in is very good. Very good history of uptime and excellent connectivity. Although, as luck would have it, they had an outage yesterday. Probably DDoS based on observations.

ReliableServers is also owned by Choopa as far as I know. Not to be confused with ReliableSite which is a different provider that resells on the Choopa network.

I'm also with ReliableServers for one of my personal boxes. They're very accommodating as a provider. They've worked out deals with me and allowed me to send hardware to be installed in my server. Top notch support too.

It's worth nothing that I was previously with ReliableSite before ReliableServers.

• @IThinkUFailed said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

I'm also with ReliableServers for one of my personal boxes. They're very accommodating as a provider. They've worked out deals with me and allowed me to send hardware to be installed in my server. Top notch support too.

It's worth nothing that I was previously with ReliableSite before ReliableServers.

I can echo these positive comments.

I contacted Reliable Servers a couple of years ago for a quote when looking to switch from ServerHub in Dallas. What I got back was an unbelievably aggressive offer. The hardware is enterprise grade from top to bottom -- enterprise SSDs, 7200RPM hard drives, etc. They correctly configured my servers according to my custom requirements and had everything in stock. This was not what I was getting from ServerHub. Needless to say, I'm still with Reliable Servers and couldn't be happier. Strangely, you hardly ever see them mentioned anywhere.

Yesterday's network trouble was the largest issue I've had with them so far.

• +1 for reliableservers I never used them but everyone else is saying they're good so I'm going to jump on the bandwagon bc I'm a cool kid 😎

• @aj_potc said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

I contacted Reliable Servers a couple of years ago for a quote when looking to switch from ServerHub in Dallas. What I got back was an unbelievably aggressive offer. The hardware is enterprise grade from top to bottom -- enterprise SSDs, 7200RPM hard drives, etc. They correctly configured my servers according to my custom requirements and had everything in stock. This was not what I was getting from ServerHub. Needless to say, I'm still with Reliable Servers and couldn't be happier. Strangely, you hardly ever see them mentioned anywhere.

I echo that statement regarding the networking issues. I sent them a ticket as I was unsure if it was just related to my service or not and received a reply within 2 minutes and a followup email about an hour later saying they believe they've got networking under control but would provide me with an RFO in the next 48-72 hours.

I had multiple networking problems at ReliableSite and trouble getting my own property back from them (a 1TB SSD) and ReliableServers offered to loan me one of their 1TB SSD drives until I was able to get mine back. This was the point I knew that they cared about me as a customer.

ReliableSite was fantastic at the start but hit a bumpy road... I recall one day my server being powered off for a random "BIOS inspection" back in 2015. Not sure if this still happens but I've never experienced anything like this with any other provider.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Interesting talk about the data centers, I agree that if you don't need to be in Manhattan other options are much better. We filled all of our cages in Manhattan a few years ago and moved everything that wasn't needed in Manhattan to Staten Island.
    Only some local businesses and people doing stocks who wanted to pay a premium being in Manhattan are there now.
    Reliablesite I believe is mostly running on their own network now which should fix the choopa issues some might have had years ago.

PureVoltage mostly sticks to colocation and custom server builds at this time, some other fun plans in the next year.

• edited June 2019

@IThinkUFailed said:

@aj_potc said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

I echo that statement regarding the networking issues. I sent them a ticket as I was unsure if it was just related to my service or not and received a reply within 2 minutes and a followup email about an hour later saying they believe they've got networking under control but would provide me with an RFO in the next 48-72 hours.

I had multiple networking problems at ReliableSite and trouble getting my own property back from them (a 1TB SSD) and ReliableServers offered to loan me one of their 1TB SSD drives until I was able to get mine back. This was the point I knew that they cared about me as a customer.

ReliableSite was fantastic at the start but hit a bumpy road... I recall one day my server being powered off for a random "BIOS inspection" back in 2015. Not sure if this still happens but I've never experienced anything like this with any other provider.

We had higher than average problems with switches with them. That caused numerous outages due to those problems and firmware updates to try fix it. My guess is they went cheap on switches and it was causing problems for them. That was a few years ago though. We switched to Choopa/ReliableServers after that.