Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS on LEB? Are they still needed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS on LEB? Are they still needed?

upfreakupfreak Member
edited February 2012 in General

We have free dns servers from reputed services like namecheap etc etc, and now we have cloudflare which seems to protect the entire internet. Do we still need to run BIND/watever on our nodes.

For those who run cpanel/directadmin/plesk in their VPS and run LEB's for dns clustering. what are the real advantages for pulling your own weight, when there seemingly better solutions available for free.

PS : i run my own nameservers ( a cpanel cluster) and a set of private nameservers on cloudns for backup.

Comments

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited February 2012

There are mechanic shops every two blocks in just about any town you go to now. But I still prefer working on my own vehicles when possible. Partially so that I don't lose the skillset, partially because it's handy to be able to do things on your own.

In the IT field, knowing how to do all of these minor things by hand that you could just get from a free provider is the type of know-how and experience you need to outclass competitors for a job position.

• @Aldryic said: There are mechanic shops every two blocks in just about any town you go to now. But I still prefer working on my own vehicles when possible. Partially so that I don't lose the skillset, partially because it's handy to be able to do things on your own.

In the IT field, knowing how to do all of these minor things by hand that you could just get from a free provider is the type of know-how and experience you need to outclass competitors for a job position.

hahaha.. so that was it.. so we close the topic? no more questions..

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited February 2012

IMO:
    1) You can set up some servers in different countries (afaik namecheap, he.net and others that i've seen have all the ns in the same country).
    2) You can set up your nameservers in the country where you need them (or at least nearly).
    3) Free dns provider normally have some limits on the number of domains that you can host on them.
    4) Free dns provider don't guarantee the service nor the lifespan of the service.

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • @peppr there can be lots of reasons you want to run your own dns server-Just wiki bind for the generalities ...

the best reasons general concern administration and logging, possibly even compliance ...

for example-You may be pushing hundreds of thousands of transactions and the control is required ...

this leads to discussions on how much control you have or need over your network, dmz and so forth ...

in general small to mid range SERVERS don't need to-Use free / registrar record host, and save resources ...

• Free DNS providers usually have awful slow user interfaces that limit what you can do.
    Give me vim and I can edit my zonefiles quickly and do whatever I want.

• Those mechanic shops every 2 blocks aren't free though. Cloudflare is. <3

• The free DNS services I used were down too much for me.

• @Naruto said: Those mechanic shops every 2 blocks aren't free though. Cloudflare is. <3

Long live the cross-subsidisation.

• @peppr said: i run my own nameservers ( a cpanel cluster) and a set of private nameservers

Same here

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2012

@Naruto said: Those mechanic shops every 2 blocks aren't free though. Cloudflare is. <3

Free is only the cheese in the mousetrap ;-)

• @peppr said: i run my own nameservers ( a cpanel cluster)

Same here, our DNS runs on 14 LEB VPS, all less than $3 per month each.

• @Damian said: Same here, our DNS runs on 14 LEB VPS, all less than $3 per month each.

wow 14 dns servers? am curious why you need so many. care to explain?

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

i am planning to integrate dns from directadmin with cpanel dns only machines. I am aware of the master2slave dns replicator script. are there any better ways to do that?

• @peppr said: wow 14 dns servers? am curious why you need so many. care to explain?

We're working on public DNS hosting, something that will undermine the price of other hosted DNS solutions

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@Damian said: something that will undermine the price of other hosted DNS solutions

i see DDOS ;)) (comin ur way)