Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Can't connect to the server at XXXXX.COM" from some locations??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Can't connect to the server at XXXXX.COM" from some locations??

ImAGodImAGod Member

Hi'yall! A "reversed TL;DR": My webshite is only accessible from some locations and browsers... WOOT?
Ok, to a more detailed explanation. I've been working on a small project lately, and got some people to test it out, but many of the visitors can't connect to the server although it works from most locations. It's hosted at BlueAngelHost.com (which I guess is kind'a shady, but they have some lenient Terms perfect for my sandbox). I have tested on my computers, and I can connect from ALL major browsers except IE8 or 9. Firefox and Chrome works. I tried from a VPS through Remote Desktop Protocol today, and experienced the problem in Firefox too. WTF can this be?? :p I am not a techy person, so I can only guess it's something about the DNS-servers. The domain in concern is https://hotvoid.com and a screenshot of the error-message can be found at https://imgur.com/a/ILC0n1b
I'm putting my fate in y'all now. Fingers crossed <3

Comments

• StyxStyx Member

Says working for me.

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

Why would a god need to ask us mere mortals for help?

• ImAGodImAGod Member

Styx: Yeah, that's why the issue went under the radar until recently. It seems like only some locations (ISPs?) have the issue. I have changed another affected domain to another host some days ago, after which all affected ISPs and browsers had it working, but changing it back to the original host breaks it again.

Donli: Lol! Well, if I really was almighty, I would've ended the wars, rapes etc ;) But really, it's just a play on my name being Ima. :wink:

• It says working, but i am disappointed, with a name like hot void i expected some hardcore stuff.

• donlidonli Member

@Janevski said:
    It says working, but i am disappointed, with a name like hot void i expected some hardcore stuff.

Did you wear a condom when visiting the site ?

• ImAGodImAGod Member

donli: Lol, it's an empty page saying Working, because apparently, it's not working.

Javenski: Indeed! Gotta get her working first, tho. "Wait, and thou shall receive." :D

Update: I did a traceroute from the VPS that can replicate the issue, and got this error:
    _ root@Cunt:~# traceroute hotvoid.com_
    hotvoid.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
    Cannot handle "host" cmdline arg `hotvoid.com' on position 1 (argc 1)

Apparently, there's some issue in the nameserver settings of the domain or something?

• donlidonli Member

@ImAGod said:

Donli: Lol! Well, if I really was almighty, I would've ended the wars, rapes etc ;) But really, it's just a play on my name being Ima.

Ok Ima.

I tried from a VPS through Remote Desktop Protocol today, and experienced the problem in Firefox too.

Since it failed on the VPS check to see if the VPS can resolve the domain name. Get a command prompt on the VPS (or any other computer it is failing on) and try: ping hotvoid.com

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

ImAGod said:
    Apparently, there's some issue in the nameserver settings of the domain or something?

You should change your name servers from the current ones you are listing at Namecheap ( ns1.shared-host.net and ns2.shared-host.net ) to the free Cloudflare DNS nameservers to eliminate DNS as a possible issue.
    On Cloudflare set up an A record for hotvoid.com to point to the IP of your host: 78.142.29.4.
    Add a CNAME for www to point to hotvoid.com.

• ImAGodImAGod Member

@donli Yeah, I did that a few minutes ago, and it can't resolve from the VPS. I have 2 namesevers registered to the domain ns1.shared-host.net and ns2.shared-host.net and when I traceroute the nameservers themselves, it manages to trace the first one (ns1.shared-host.net) but not the 2nd (ns2.shared-host.net). I just want to repeat that when I traceroute the domain (hotvoid.com) it don't resolve but returns the error below (same error on the 2nd nameserver):
    root@Cunt:~# traceroute hotvoid.com
    hotvoid.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
    Cannot handle "host" cmdline arg `hotvoid.com' on position 1 (argc 1)

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

I suspected a DNS fuck up, and there is one, but, i've seen worse.

PS: Report, courtesy of IntoDNS.

• ImAGodImAGod Member

@Janevski Thanks bunches for pointing out this! I believe that means the nameserver says it's supposed to be 2 more nameservers attached to my domain (ns5.* and ns6.shared-host.net)? I tried tracerouting those 2 from the VPS, and it returns the same error. :o Is this something wrong with the nameserver or my config?

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@ImAGod said:
    @Janevski Thanks bunches for pointing out this! I believe that means the nameserver says it's supposed to be 2 more nameservers attached to my domain (ns5.* and ns6.shared-host.net)? I tried tracerouting those 2 from the VPS, and it returns the same error. :o Is this something wrong with the nameserver or my config?

I don't think it is your config I think it is your host's nameserver setup (they need to remove their non working nameservers from their internal list). You can try to get BlueAngelHost to fix their nameserver issue, or you can bypass them by changing the nameservers you are using from the current ones to the free nameservers/DNS at Cloudflare.

Create an account at Cloudflare.com
    Add the domain hotvoid.com to the account
    Under DNS for hotvoid set up an A record for hotvoid.com to point to the IP of your host: 78.142.29.4.
    Add a CNAME for www to point to hotvoid.com.
    Make sure the cloud icon on the right is greyed out so traffic goes directly to your host.

Change the nameservers listed at Namecheap from ns1.shared-host.net and ns2.shared-host.net to the one Cloudflare tells you to use.

If that works to solve your DNS issue you can keep the DNS at cloudflare and add records for your email:
    MX 78.142.29.4
    TXT v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:78.142.29.4 ~all

which is what is currently set.

• ImAGodImAGod Member

Thanks for the discovery, @Janevski ! I tracerouted the 2 new nameservers mentioned in the report (ns5.* and ns6.shared-host.net) but they both doesn't respond on the affected computers. (Traces successfully on the working ones tho). Not sure if I should remove the 2nd nameserver leaving it with only ns1.shared-host.net that actually works on all computers, or wtf? :p

• ImAGodImAGod Member

Oh lol, I answered Janevski's post twice.
    Holy shit, @donli ! That sounds like an awesome solution!! Thanks for the super-detailed instructions, too. If I mess this up, I better throw my laptops out and move into the bush +.+

• ImAGodImAGod Member

SOLVED <3 Thanks to @donli I put it under CloudFlare's DNS and it works flawlessly! Thanks bunches for all your responses and efforts =D