Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS pricing

ShurshukaShurshuka Member
edited May 2019 in General

Hi guys,

We are thinking about creating our own DNS service and I want to ask you about your favourite DNS pricing model.

Which one do you prefer and why?

1) Pay as you go (Amazon Route 53, Google Cloud DNS, Constellix)
2) Unlimited plans (Zilore, DNSimple, ClouDNS)
3) Plans with limits and add-ons (DNSMadeEasy)

How much are you ready to pay for DNS?

Thanks for answers!

Your favourite DNS pricing model
  1. Which one do you prefer and why?40 votes
    1. Pay as you go (Amazon Route 53, Google Cloud DNS, Constellix)
      10.00%
    2. Unlimited plans (Zilore, DNSimple, ClouDNS)
      82.50%
    3. Plans with limits and add-ons (DNSMadeEasy)
        7.50%

Comments

• Free DNS and a cookie.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Getting billed for like 10k requests, seems like it could get abused.
    So I would get Unlimited.

The Price depends, if the a wild DDOS appears and the DNS servers go blub, then surely I would pay far less.

It all depends on how good the overall product is.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

I think there's a niche for an affordable DNS service for a lot of zones.

For example, R53 charges $0.5/m per zone, which makes it prohibitively expensive for e.g. hosting providers who would like to offload DNS hosting to a 3rd party.

• msattmsatt Member

digitalocean / vultr provide free DNS - what is your advantage?

• @msatt said:
    digitalocean / vultr provide free DNS - what is your advantage?

advanced features: geo dns, failover dns, etc

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Cloudflare's model of free DNS :D

• YuraYura Member

@Neoon said:
    a wild DDOS appears and the DNS servers go blub

A wild DDOS appears. It uses DNS Flood. It's super effective!

Thanked by 1FHR
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Yura said:

@Neoon said:

Last time, Rage4 got hit with 100Gbit+ they dropped a lot of requests.
    Seems like it has improved and they learned from it, lets hope they keep it like that.

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • YuraYura Member

@Neoon said:

@Yura said:

@Neoon said:

Last time, Rage4 got hit with 100Gbit+ they dropped a lot of requests.
    Seems like it has improved and they learned from it, lets hope they keep it like that.

Congratulations! Rage4 evolved into RageQuit.

• edfoxedfox Member

4) free unlimited (dnsmanager.io)

I miss the free rage4 plan, though :(

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited May 2019

Shurshuka said: Which one do you prefer and why?

Most offers with GeoDNS are too expensive imo. Route53's pricing is OK if you don't need too many zones (it's possible to use a cname to a route53 domain to benefit from some features without the need to add too many zones).

To answer your question: It doesn't really matter as long as pricing is correct. Of course unlimited everything for a fair price sounds great, but if there are too many big users the price has to be pretty high for this pricing model to be sustainable. For lowend folks, pay as you go is probably better.

• donlidonli Member

My favorite DNS model is free Cloudflare.

https://www.dnsperf.com/

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

Pay-as-you-go per requests is scary because someone could just DDoS my zone and cost me a lot of money. Charging per zone is fine if it includes unlimited requests. Right now I use ClouDNS and I like that they include a set number of DNS zones, with unlimited records and unlimited requests.

• @Daniel15 said:
    I use ClouDNS and I like that they include a set number of DNS zones, with unlimited records and unlimited requests.

Have you had any problems with ClouDNS?
    Their tariffs look like dumping.
    It is unrealistic to provide an unlimited number of requests for 400 domains for $ 15 / month and not lose in reliability and stability.

• alvinalvin Member
    edited May 2019

@Shurshuka said:

@Daniel15 said:
    I use ClouDNS and I like that they include a set number of DNS zones, with unlimited records and unlimited requests.

It is unrealistic to provide an unlimited number of requests for 400 domains for $ 15 / month and not lose in reliability and stability.

In terms of free use, ClouDNS services is practical, it wins with unlimited records and unlimited requests, and usually, you will got new state within few minutes after changing the settings.

They often provide 2 months of commercial service trial, you can trial it first.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2019

Shurshuka said: Have you had any problems with ClouDNS?

No problems so far! I've been using them since 2012 and have 52 domains that use their services.

They were quite flexible with plans. It looks like they changed their plans at some point, but a few years ago the plans were $2/month for 40 zones or $5/month for 100 zones, both with unlimited records. I wanted just a few more zones (~47 at the time) and they were happy to offer a custom plan with 50 zones for $2.50/month. I'm still on a custom plan today, but had to bump it up to 60 zones.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @Shurshuka said:

@Daniel15 said:

Can't say I've noticed issues with them and been using them for several years now.

Used to use the regular servers (I think all the paid options are anycast now but that wasn't always the case) and then they had a special on the DDoS protected plan a couple years back (Think it's the same as the DDoS Pro but less zones allowed) so been using that since.

Support has been fairly decent the few times I've contacted them.

The only way I think Pay as you Go would be sensible is if the providers systems for handling abuse are properly implemented so that someone trying to flood you with requests doesn't rack up a huge bill or end up with your dns being shut down.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

From my own experience DNS business is hard, harder than regular webhosting. If you add all the anycast networking on top plus hours of development to be unique featurewise you need to like it. Good luck with your project. @Yura we never Quit, we are always in Rage mode ;) @Neoon yep, lesson learnt @edfox we miss it too. once we launch new products later this year we'll rethink readding it or creating smaller, free DNS service

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Every one required you to sponsor after you launched your CND business.