Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-Hosted Server Monitoring? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-Hosted Server Monitoring?

2»

Comments

• MGarbisMGarbis Member

@leapswitch said:
    Zabbix has become very easy to setup and use in recent years. It is also not a resource hog anymore. You can monitor 300+ servers on a 4GB RAM VM.

This.
    I have the newest zabbix and it wasn't hard to setup. Of course it needs some time to study but so does every one.

• akhfaakhfa Member

@rick2610 said:
    I use elasticsearch and file/metricbeat on the client. It collects all metrics like cpu/hd etc and all logfiles are centralized. Works great for me, 25+ servers

Hi
    How long do you save your metric logs and how big is the server specs?
    Last time I set up metricbeat, my elasticsearch become much slower until I delete the metricbeat data

• @akhfa said:

@rick2610 said:
    I use elasticsearch and file/metricbeat on the client. It collects all metrics like cpu/hd etc and all logfiles are centralized. Works great for me, 25+ servers

Hi
    How long do you save your metric logs and how big is the server specs?
    Last time I set up metricbeat, my elasticsearch become much slower until I delete the metricbeat data

I have a dedicated 1 node ES on a netcup VPS, https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2282

Indices, about 25GB per month. You can tune the metricbeat settings what to collect. ES is working on an index retention policy to save older data.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • alvinalvin Member

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Having seen the effects of netdata in CentosWebPanel, I'd say stay well clear. Just IMO.

How much does this real-time monitoring occupy the performance in the end user server and monitoring server?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2019

@alvin said:
    How much does this real-time monitoring occupy the performance in the end user server and monitoring server?

Performance wasn't my concern, leaking of data to a 3rd party is. It was removed as quickly as possible, never to 'grace' any of my VPSes ever again (hopefully). I'll stick with the proven and predictable munin.