Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a Researcher (a lot of them, actually)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help a Researcher (a lot of them, actually)

Hello guys, long time no see :)

I'm an assistant researcher at the National Institute of Science and Technology in Digital Democracy (Brazil) and we are having a hard time finding something that we can afford considering the recent cuts in education and research money over here.

We used all of our Google Cloud, Azure, IBM, AWS free credits. You name it.

We do have some grant we can still use, but it's nothing that could accommodate the costs of a server at most providers (consider 1USD = 4BRL). It's nothing huge, it would only run our RStudio and Jupyter Hub services as we have almost everything else figured out in our internal infrastructure for now (but, to be honest, we'll probably be looking for other agreements in the future).

So, which monthly prices would be possible for a dedicated server or VPS like this:

• ~4-8GB RAM
  • ~100GB HDD/Hybrid/SSD (don't really matter)
  • 100Mbits unmetered (mostly for data-stream from social networks and news sources)
  • ~2-4 vCores (only for light data processing, most of the hard work will be done on current servers)

By the way, we are willing to pay (in fact we want to), but other arrangements can be discussed (sponsorships and partnerships are always welcome).

If the discount offer is conditioned to the aforementioned purposes I'll be more than happy to provide verification of my identity and situation as a researcher, my connection to the Institute, the University it's located at (Federal University of Bahia) and a more detailed description of what we do and how we are going to use the server.

If none of guys can help, that's not a problem. Pointing out providers that could help us would be amazing too.

Thank you very much for your time.

Hugs from Brazil!

Comments