Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RHEL 8 Release
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RHEL 8 Release

BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
edited May 2019 in General

Looks like Red Hat just announced the release of RHEL 8, which means we should probably see some news about CentOS pretty soon.

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-enterprise-linux-8-every-enterprise-every-cloud-every-workload

Comments

• jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited May 2019

0__o I like it... CentOS +1

• CentOS 8

• And i still use centos 6

• RHEL 8 pruff, I'm still using suffering a Solaris 8

• donlidonli Member

Who upgrades to software with a version number that ends in .0 ?

• imokimok Member

CentOS: the best distribution for every body.

Debian no thx.

EOL Ubuntu.

WSS is nigh.

• daozhidaozhi Member

There is a long way for hosting provider to deploy centos8.

• OpenVZ 8 when? /s

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

Will be interesting to see what new features CentOS will come with. We're still more of Debian fans though :)

• @donli said:
    Who upgrades to software with a version number that ends in .0 ?

Well RHEL 7 is obsolete in some packages so maybe a lot people ^^

• jurevejureve Member

@lowendclient said:
    CentOS 8

Will the next release of Centos? :smiley:

• Hosting majors like siteground and EIG brands are still running servers costing upwards of $500/month on CentOS 6 with obsolete cPanel versions. No providers will bother unti Cpanel makes it mandatory to upgrade which is likely not to be sooner.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@ese_enzo said:
    RHEL 8 pruff, I'm still using suffering a Solaris 8

I'm still on Windows 3.1

• donlidonli Member

@mehargags said:
    Hosting majors like siteground and EIG brands are still running servers costing upwards of $500/month on CentOS 6 with obsolete cPanel versions. No providers will bother unti Cpanel makes it mandatory to upgrade which is likely not to be sooner.

The EIG brand I have a site on still uses their own custom control panel not cPanel.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@JonathanZhang said:
    OpenVZ 8 when? /s

I was wondering the same.

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

CentOS 8 will come out in say 6 months, cPanel will add support 1.5 years after that, get it stable 6-8 months after that, THEN people will start moving to it.

Oh yeah, and a few months after cPanel adds support for it they'll announce they're ending support for CentOS 7 2 years early.

/s

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Sweet looking forward to adding CentOS 8 support to my Centmin Mod LEMP stack https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod/projects/1 ^_^

Thanked by 2jureve suricloud
  • vovlervovler Member

Can anyone explain the advantages for a newbie? Besides a bunch of tutorials online becoming outdated?

I get that it will have newer kernel, higher memory capacity support and probably better security?

Will there be any performance benefits?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2019

vovler said: Can anyone explain the advantages for a newbie? Besides a bunch of tutorials online becoming outdated?

I get that it will have newer kernel, higher memory capacity support and probably better security?

Will there be any performance benefits?

Newer Linux Kernel and glibc will mean natively and potentially better performance and security (i.e. better coverage of all variants for spectre/meltdown like migitations etc). One of the reasons is due to basically newer Linux Kernels having more native optimisations for newer cpus that have been released since the last Linux Kernel versions. So for Linux 5.0/5.1/5.2 for newer cpus like Intel Skylake/Cascade Lake/Icelake and AMD Zen2 EPYC Rome. Also part of the newer Linux Kernels benefits is reworking the Meltdown/Spectre mitigation patches which had negative performance overhead and re-gaining the loss performance due to these mitigation patch/fixes.

FYI, one example was when I tested and benchmarked Centmin Mod with AMD EPYC 7401P server, CentOS 7 3.10 native Linux Kernel wasn't enough to get the full performance out of the AMD EPYC 7401P cpu so upgrading to Linux 4.15+ for AMD EPYC cpus is needed https://community.centminmod.com/threads/packet-net-bare-metal-cloud-amd-epyc-7401p-review-benchmarks.14097/#post-60307.

One of the reasons why I have been testing Centmin Mod's DigitalOcean 1-click app CentOS 7 image builds with a version that supports Linux 5 Kernel as from my testing alot of newer DO droplets are Intel Skylake based so they'd also benefit from Linux 5 when someone spins up a droplet VPS with CentOS 7 + Centmin Mod already installed

DigitalOcean 1-click app version of Centmin Mod seems like perfect place to offer up CentOS 7 + Linux 5 Kernel out of the box for both performance and security reasons https://community.centminmod.com/threads/digitalocean-marketplace-for-1-click-applications.16835/#post-71516 :)

cat /etc/centminmod-release; cat /etc/redhat-release ; uname -r
    123.09beta01.b151
    CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core) 
    5.1.0-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

Thanked by 1virtua_cloud
  • I guess I should get some Centos8 skills, now that systemd has spread to the balls and brains, of major linux distros.

• donlidonli Member

@vimalware said:
    I guess I should get some Centos8 skills, now that systemd has spread to the balls and brains, of major linux distros.

systemd is here to stay (systemd made me say that).

Thanked by 1Levi
  • LeviLevi Member

vovler said: Besides a bunch of tutorials online becoming outdated?

Usually CentOS tutorials carry on from generation to generation staying the same.

I have high hopes that they will not adopt more of that nasty YAML configs. It was a massive shocker when I encountered netplan. I vomited 2 days after it and discovered Debian.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint NanoG6
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2019

Early RHEL8 benchmarks looking good https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27827. Would be interesting to see RHEL8 with Linux 5.1.0 Kernel instead of default 4.18 as well for newer cpu support :)