Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About Kms-hosting (fastpipe.io - combahton) / beginner job
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About Kms-hosting (fastpipe.io - combahton) / beginner job

cheap_boxcheap_box Member

I bought a virtual server from them yesterday. Today I entered the panel to configure the virtual server. But the IP address of my virtual server did not appear in the panel. I've created a support ticket, but two and a half hours have passed and there's still no answer. Is there a way to learn my IP address?

Comments

• cociucociu Member

no need ip

• @cociu said:
    no need ip

Idle talk.

• Still no answer, very frustrating.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

Have you tried to Ping the hostname of your vps? use the vnc console, log in and type ip addr show? there are so many possible ways...

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@cheap_box said:
    I've created a support ticket, but two and a half hours have passed and there's still no answer.
    [...]
    Still no answer, very frustrating.

Are you serious?
    What SLA do you have in your paid contract with them?
    Or is it just wishful thinking which makes you frustrating?
    Open a ticket with your provider and do something useful until they answer.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited May 2019

cheap_box said: Is there a way to learn my IP address?

As you have your hostname you use it and see if it resolves to something or if you want to know your ip you can use "host" or "dig". If you want to know more about this magic command: "man dig".

Example (redacted to remove your ip as you might not want it to stay forever on LET):

$dig in a cloudXXXX.fastpipe.io

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    cloudXXXX.fastpipe.io. 3600 IN  A   160.20.146.XXX

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

@datanoise might be kind to redact that IP address ... lol

Though @cheap_box may be need more help than LET is able to provide.

Lemme try anyway ...

@cheap_box best if you don't post too much specific info such as your exact hostname.

Idle talk indeed.

(LET is not the hero that you need, but may be the one that you deserve.)

• uptime said: @datanoise might be kind to redact that IP address

You're right friend. Done.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

You could get on the VNC console, login with your credentials and cat /etc/network/interfaces see if it's set there. Or curl something like curl https://canihazip.com/s

• AMXRTAMXRT Member

Been their customer for a month and can say quite sure you must wait about 48 hours to get one ticket response.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2019

There was no IP provisioned up on deployment. However, the customer didnt wait longer than one hour to get this resolved after opening a ticket with us today. The customer even opened several tickets within a 10 minute cycle and sent us several emails too. He was quite impatient. From our side, I wouldnt call a response time of around one hour that bad for a server which costs only 2,95€ per 30 days :-)

@AMRXT that shouldnt be the case anymore. We have hired extra staff for customer service last month. All typical tickets should be handled within a maximum of 1-2 hours during our business hours.

In case it's a deep technical problem, then it can take a bit longer, of course. For anything which is about life or dead, please call us.

• @dfroe said:

@cheap_box said:
    I've created a support ticket, but two and a half hours have passed and there's still no answer.
    [...]
    Still no answer, very frustrating.

Are you serious?
    What SLA do you have in your paid contract with them?
    Or is it just wishful thinking which makes you frustrating?
    Open a ticket with your provider and do something useful until they answer.

Are you serious? Op asks for help, and you respond with silly questions, and then end up telling him to do exactly what he was doing: filed a support ticket and then went looking for the answer himself.

FFS, the responses from providers on this site in response to help requests...

Take note from others that actually tried helping. Going to the VNC console and getting IP from "ip a" isn't all that hard to say, versus the useless shit you added and contributed nothing of value.

@TimboJones said: [...]

Aren't patience and respect some kind of value, too?

What I cannot (and do not want to) understand are people expecting response times within 1-2 hours on a 3 EUR service.

Assuming the provider makes 1 EUR profit with it, to fulfill this expectations, what can the provider pay to a human being processing those tickets within that expected time?

In my personal humble opinion, expectations for human ticket processing should be kept fair and realistic considering the money spent.

But well, everybody has his own opinions.

• @dfroe said:

@TimboJones said: [...]

Aren't patience and respect some kind of value, too?

What I cannot (and do not want to) understand are people expecting response times within 1-2 hours on a 3 EUR service.

Assuming the provider makes 1 EUR profit with it, to fulfill this expectations, what can the provider pay to a human being processing those tickets within that expected time?

In my personal humble opinion, expectations for human ticket processing should be kept fair and realistic considering the money spent.

But well, everybody has his own opinions.

Yes, you're putting limits that haven't been advertised as such. Do recall, this was a provider screw up preventing operation. Every server made after that point might also get borked. Delaying responding to problems is just stupid business. This isn't a non paid feature request.

Goddamn people and their need to be respected. Where in OP did he disrespect the provider? People going out of their way to take offense for nothing. This is a discussion forum. Why do people not get that?

You may not be aware, but there's lots of LET providers that can respond to straight forward tickets in under 2.5 hours. I noticed you didn't provide what an acceptable time frame is to wait for a response. Please tell me what you communicate to your customers what response time will be. I never see sales advertising less support response just because of promo pricing. So please, show me where you and other providers indicate this reduced level of service.

You don't buy VPS servers yourself, but many people buy servers with expectation of having instant activation and the provider received that business specifically for that reason. So if someone is on a schedule or need to get services recovered and customers are down, having unknown response time is a very big deal.

Small providers like you treat customers like 3 euros rather than a relationship that gets more and more business. You may have missed the point of promos and loss leaders. You may also be missing the additional services people order because they've had good experiences and want to continue doing business with. If that isn't your plan, you shouldn't be marketing towards LET users in the first place.

TimboJones said: Delaying responding to problems is just stupid business.

I myself wouldn't assume that the provider delayed responding to the ticket on purpose.
    I'd rather guess they simply had more important things to do at the moment the ticket came in and they decided not to immediately interrupt their ongoing work in favor of an unassigned IP address.

TimboJones said: Where in OP did he disrespect the provider?

"I've created a support ticket, but two and a half hours have passed and there's still no answer." (from the OP)

Creating a ticket and writing on LET that there is "still no answer" after 2 hours might not be a direct expression of disrespect. But after 5+ years experience on LET this very often feels like

"the customer didnt wait longer than one hour to get this resolved after opening a ticket with us today. The customer even opened several tickets within a 10 minute cycle and sent us several emails too. He was quite impatient." (from the provider's reply)

TimboJones said: Please tell me what you communicate to your customers what response time will be.

On a 3 EUR service? I simply wouldn't guarantee a reponse time. I would however consider usual response times within one business day to be fine.
    I also do not think that strict SLAs are really meaningful on a 3 EUR service. I mean, if you refund pro-rata for one day of downtime - that's 10 cents.

Of course it is all about building relationships and trust for a smoothless long-term business. But at least I cannot build a trustful relationship by expecting 2 hours reponse times on 3 EUR service, neither from a customer nor a provider point of view.

TimboJones said: So if someone is on a schedule or need to get services recovered and customers are down, having unknown response time is a very big deal.

Yeah. But if this is yields a big deal - than please do not rely on a single 3 EUR VPS. Your other 3 EUR VPS from another LET provider can simply take over the 'business critical' part until the problem has been fixed.

TimboJones said: You don't buy VPS servers yourself

Well, I myself wouldn't necessarily confirm that if I have a look at my SSH bookmarks full of idling LET VPS'. :wink:

• dfroe said: What I cannot (and do not want to) understand are people expecting response times within 1-2 hours on a 3 EUR service.

What a problem to write ETA in response time or add automated ticket response with predefined message which will tell: "Hey %CLIENTNAME% we received your message, and will answer to it IN the next XX hours. You will get email notification when we will response. Usually response takes up to XX minutes, but sometimes it can take up to XX hours. Our working hours is: XX-XX every XX-XX day. "

• deankdeank Member, Troll

A canned e-mail reply won't work. Almost no one reads it and it eventually will go to a spam folder.