Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enoctus.com - Windows & Linux VPS| 5 Locations| DDoS Protected| Instant Setup| 1GBPS @ $3.95 p/m - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enoctus.com - Windows & Linux VPS| 5 Locations| DDoS Protected| Instant Setup| 1GBPS @ $3.95 p/m

13»

Comments

• @moni099878 said:

ErikEnoctus said: Sorry this might sound rude but, what are you on about? Our website, including our entire infrastructure hasn't been disrupted for about a year now. Are you telling me it hasn't been possible to contact us until now?

Are you playing dumb? Your website was down since May until you come back again. I haven't even received any email that you come back.

That is true, our website was down for a little while last year, but that was only within a period of several weeks. Have a look yourself at https://web.archive.org/web/20180615000000*/Enoctus.com .

You're not getting any further responses from me personally as it seems like we're just rolling in circles. Should you decide to claim a refund or compensation, as mentioned before, contact us - I'll let a colleague help you.

• ErikEnoctus said: down for a little

Yeah, and deleted my account.
    Why am I saying these? Because you're avoiding the obvious(Sorry, I don't know if that's accurate; in Chinese 避重就轻).
    That's a good attitude. (don't reply me, please.

• @moni099878 said:

ErikEnoctus said: down for a little

Yeah, and deleted my account.
    Why am I saying these? Because you're avoiding the obvious(Sorry, I don't know if that's accurate; in Chinese 避重就轻).
    That's a good attitude. (don't reply me, please.

There is a 10-20% of client records which were corrupted during the downtime and migrations which is entirely our fault, it's nothing personal. We had to manually import some of the client accounts into WHMCS. We use Sendgrid for all of our marketing and billing messages - your contact was already there even if your account wasn't imported properly.

Let's assume that the Sendgrid message bounced back or didn't reach you for whatever reason, our website, live chat and phone support have been online for almost a year since the incident. Nothing stops you from contacting us like the majority of customers with those issues did.

• Yeah, it's all my fault.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • ErikEnoctusErikEnoctus Member
    edited May 2019

@moni099878 said:
    Yeah, it's all my fault.

I don't want to make it look like it's your fault, I am not that much of a psychopath.

It's not your fault by any means. Speak to us next time there's a problem or you need something from us. Making it up to you directly is much simpler than going in circles at LET.

• We tried you went ghost for several months.

• @krenken said:
    We tried you went ghost for several months.

Sorry for that. Email us at [email protected] to make it up to you :).

• Bought a 2GB KVM at SG yesterday , so far so good

Bench results :

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 3400.008 MHz
    Total size of Disk : 38.0 GB (22.0 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem : 1993 MB (49 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 2046 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime : 0 days, 0 hour 0 min
    Load average : 0.06, 0.02, 0.00
    Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.15.0-22-generic

I/O speed(1st run) : 420 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run) : 459 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 463 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 447.3 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed
    CacheFly 167.88.158.176 109MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP 106.187.96.148 32.5MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG 139.162.23.4 111MB/s
    Linode, London, UK 176.58.107.39 6.32MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE 139.162.130.8 12.9MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA 50.116.14.9 12.8MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX 173.192.68.18 7.12MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA 67.228.112.250 7.44MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE 159.122.69.4 7.88MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG 119.81.28.170 108MB/s

Softlayer, HongKong, CN 119.81.130.170 42.3MB/s

• tnvrtnvr Member

What’s the CPU model in NYC?

• @puerklint said:
    Bought a 2GB KVM at SG yesterday , so far so good

Bench results :

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 3400.008 MHz
    Total size of Disk : 38.0 GB (22.0 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem : 1993 MB (49 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 2046 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime : 0 days, 0 hour 0 min
    Load average : 0.06, 0.02, 0.00
    Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.15.0-22-generic

I/O speed(1st run) : 420 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run) : 459 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 463 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 447.3 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed
    CacheFly 167.88.158.176 109MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP 106.187.96.148 32.5MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG 139.162.23.4 111MB/s
    Linode, London, UK 176.58.107.39 6.32MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE 139.162.130.8 12.9MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA 50.116.14.9 12.8MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX 173.192.68.18 7.12MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA 67.228.112.250 7.44MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE 159.122.69.4 7.88MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG 119.81.28.170 108MB/s

Softlayer, HongKong, CN 119.81.130.170 42.3MB/s

Thank you for sharing :)

@tnvr said:
    What’s the CPU model in NYC?

The CPU model in NYC would be a Xeon E3-12xx V3 to V6.

• add_iTadd_iT Member

@ErikEnoctus Do you have FreeBSD OS?

• CrelingCreling Member
    edited May 2019

I am not a party, but I have seen the anger of many people.
    This is a good article. (https://www.enoctus.co.uk/pages/adcdatastatement) The only question is, when was it released?
    If it was not released first time after the downtime occurs, it would make no sense.
    I believe that people are kind. If they get a refund quickly, no one will complain.
    In fact, we can see the update time in the article: "Updated 6th May, 2019", and your post was posted on "7th May 2019", I had to make some bad associations.
    If you solve the troubles left over only when you want to re-enter the industry, may I know when you want to re-enter the industry for the 3rd time? I will tell others not to worry, they can get a refund before that time.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
    edited May 2019

@add_iT said:
    @ErikEnoctus Do you have FreeBSD OS?

While we don't have automated templates for those, if you simply open a ticket after you place your order and provide us with a link to your ISO, we'd be happy to mount it for you.

Erik

@Creling said:
    I am not a party, but I have seen the anger of many people.
    This is a good article. (https://www.enoctus.co.uk/pages/adcdatastatement) The only question is, when was it released?
    If it was not released first time after the downtime occurs, it would make no sense.
    I believe that people are kind. If they get a refund quickly, no one will complain.
    In fact, we can see the update time in the article: "Updated 6th May, 2019", and your post was posted on "7th May 2019", I had to make some bad associations.
    If you solve the troubles left over only when you want to re-enter the industry, may I know when you want to re-enter the industry for the 3rd time? I will tell others not to worry, they can get a refund before that time.

Hi,

The statement in the link was made specifically after posting our offer here at LET. After the downtime last year, everyone was notified by email about pretty much everything in the ADCData statement, minus the evidence. As a lot of people didn't believe us, we thought it's better to put our communication with ADCData down in a public statement, just to keep things fair between us :).

Now, I am sure you have your reasons to be negative, I don't want to try to change that. I am not the best marketing / public statements guy, but what I can tell you for sure is that we have taken the steps necessary to ensure similar catastrophes with suppliers never reoccur in future. It's not even that complicated - keep working with reputable companies and we should be safe. When a risk is involved, tie that up in a contract.

One thing I have to disagree with you on, however, is the whole "coming back" especially for a third time. I wouldn't say we came back, we just had downtime for an admittedly longer period than most companies have gone through. We were never gone to need to come back. And that's only happened once, why do you suggest there might be a 3rd time while there hasn't been a second major downtime for a year now? We've been running at 99.99% uptime, mostly 100% in the past year.

Bad associations will happen I am afraid, but I am confident there are no reasons to be afraid of. Lesson learnt. Some might never be our customers again, that's fine and we understand that. We're just grateful for the people who continue believing in us after the downtime and those who are entirely new to the company.

Erik

• Do you have add ons/upgrade for monthly transfer?

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Do you have add ons/upgrade for monthly transfer?

Yes, we do. Depending on how much you need, we also have unmetered packages on our website. Shoot up a message at hello(at)enoctus.co.uk so we can discuss your requirements and budget.

• adcdataadcdata Member

hello erik, long time

hmm, only express single part of the whole story or capture a small portion of all chat history, you are not playing fair, however

we still honor the confidential agreement

again, so as to all other customers, we rent server/network out for business needs, we don't intervene individual business operations, like yours, nor support anyone financial/technical needs. Our generic terms:

1. Monthly basis, failure of making payment = server suspension
    2. attacking our infrastructure, rather you or your users = server suspension
    3. continuous under attack and attacking other people = server suspension

at last, china VPS market is just too complicated, cost is way too high, its not an easy market to get in/out

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ErikEnoctus said: No hardware raid on the new NVMe machines.

Software RAID or no RAID at all? Thanks!

Thanked by 1ErikEnoctus
  • @datanoise said:

ErikEnoctus said: No hardware raid on the new NVMe machines.

Software RAID or no RAID at all? Thanks!

If you’re getting a LET deal, it’d likely have no RAID at all. These are smaller machines that don’t hold a ton of customers - less noisy neighbours and guaranteed bandwidth speeds.

Though, If you look at the higher packages on our website, those would be based on different CPUs, typically E5s with soft or hw RAID to allow that higher storage capacity.

Even with the LET deals, however, these are still highly reliable machines, usually featuring a much lower failure rate while maintaining guaranteed speeds even in contrast with some of the largest leaders.

Erik

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

@ErikEnoctus said:
    no RAID at all. These are smaller machines that don’t hold a ton of customers - less noisy neighbours and guaranteed bandwidth speeds.

Guaranteed data loss too (when that single drive fails)? I guess it's nice that you at least come out and say you don't plan on using raid, but it would be nicer for your customers if you used at minimum raid1.

edited May 2019

@jackb said:

@ErikEnoctus said:
    no RAID at all. These are smaller machines that don’t hold a ton of customers - less noisy neighbours and guaranteed bandwidth speeds.

Guaranteed data loss too? I guess it's nice that you at least come out and say you don't plan on using raid, but it would be nicer for your customers if you used at minimum raid1.

By the time a single SSD machine would get to a dangerous threshold, nearing the end of its life span, the server would get replaced anyway as their CPU would no longer be efficient. These servers only have a single SSD so the failure chance is, in fact, lower than it would be with soft raid between multiple drives in place.

In the last few years, this has never been an issue. Prior to Enoctus, I spent several years in a British leader managing 300k websites, it hasn’t been a problem there either, not with SSDs at least. Those servers were actually a lot more loaded than our low capacity hypervisors ever get to be. It's not a concern when the machine is running on a single, higher capacity, enterprise drive. A few years ago that would have been a problem when you needed 4x drives to get to 2TB, but not anymore.

Yet, still, some of our older clients might remember, we’ve been working on getting some backup machines in each location to allow us to offer free weekly backup for everyone. We know it’s extremely unlikely anyone will need that, but hey it’s coming anyway.

Erik

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

@ErikEnoctus said:
    By the time a single SSD machine would get to a dangerous threshold, nearing the end of its life span, the server would get replaced anyway as their CPU would no longer be efficient. These servers only have a single SSD so the failure chance is, in fact, lower than it would be with soft raid between multiple drives in place.

Surely you've been around for long enough to realise that drive failures also happen before guaranteed hours or guaranteed TBW are exceeded. Free drive replacement from RMA doesn't get your customers their data back. 3% failure is significantly higher than 0.09%.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited May 2019

ErikEnoctus said: If you’re getting a LET deal

Ok, thanks. Will the weekly backups be enabled for LET offers, as we could guess by the following statement?

ErikEnoctus said: For more information on our cloud VMs, visit our website.

BTW I agree with @jackb that RAID1 would be better, but I appreciate the fact that you state clearly that it's not the case.

Thanked by 1ErikEnoctus
  • @jackb said:

@ErikEnoctus said:

Surely you've been around for long enough to realise that drive failures also happen before guaranteed hours or guaranteed TBW are exceeded. Free drive replacement from RMA doesn't get your customers their data back. 3% failure is significantly higher than 0.09%.

I understand when RAID is a feasible and important option, but not for the small capacity, 1 drive per server machines. It's good to be cautious, of course, but not on such a low capacity machine - it would be an overkill that doesn't return a profit. HW raid is present on the higher spec packages only, those we can't advertise here though.

E

• @datanoise said:

ErikEnoctus said: If you’re getting a LET deal

Ok, thanks. Will the weekly backups be enabled for LET offers, as we could guess by the following statement?

ErikEnoctus said: For more information on our cloud VMs, visit our website.

BTW I agree with @jackb that RAID1 would be better, but I appreciate the fact that you state clearly that it's not the case.

Yes, that has been the plan all along. It's been going on for a while. One option we have is local backups in the same datacenter, but those can be inefficient cost-wise having in mind where we operate, especially in London. The second is remote backups, but that would add to the bandwidth bill. Leave it to us, and it will be implemented in the near future.

Erik