Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Finalhosting] SSD VPS starting at €1,40/month | KVM | Anti-DDoS | Hosting in The Netherlands
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Finalhosting] SSD VPS starting at €1,40/month | KVM | Anti-DDoS | Hosting in The Netherlands

jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
edited May 2019 in Offers

Hello,

This is my first post as provider so I going to introduce myself al little.

My name is Jordy. I started Finalhosting in 2011 as a Minecraft hosting company. Now 8 years later we're focussing mainly on VPS hosting. Until recently we focused primarily on the Dutch market and now we're expanding.

Finalhosting has 3 employees. Myself, Melvin and Rob. Me and Melvin are the technical guys and Rob is the first line support/sales guy. With years of experience and troubleshooting, we know how to host a VPS. We are not a very big company with 100.000 servers, but we have 3 racks full of Dell blade servers.

Technical Features

• KVM Virtualisation
  • Solid State Storage
  • DDoS protection option
  • Hosted in The Netherlands
  • In-house development
  • Free snapshot

Cloud Server Starter

• 512MB RAM
  • 1 vCPU core
  • 10GB SSD storage
  • 250GB Bandwidth
  • 50Mbit Uplink
  • 1 IPv4 address
  • Linux-only

Special sprice: €1,40 /month (€1,69 incl. VAT) discount code: LOWENDTALK
Normal price: €2,- /month (€2,42 incl. VAT)

Order here

Cloud Server Starter+

• 1024MB RAM
  • 1 vCPU core
  • 30GB SSD storage
  • 500GB Bandwidth
  • 100Mbit Uplink
  • 1 IPv4 address
  • Linux & Windows

Special sprice: €2,80 /month (€3,39 incl. VAT) discount code LOWENDTALK
Normal price: €4,- /month (€4,84 incl. VAT)

Order here

Cloud Server Trial

• 2048MB RAM
  • 2 vCPU core
  • 50GB SSD storage
  • 150GB Bandwidth
  • 50Mbit Uplink
  • 1 IPv4 address
  • Linux & Windows

Do you want to try our VPS servers first? No problem! You can test a VPS for free (3 days).
Order here

Please notice that we will check your order manually in this case.

Operation systems

DDoS protection

We offer DDoS protection as an option for €3,50 /month (€4,24 incl VAT) on every VPS. We use the DDoS protection of OVH.com routing our OVH IPv4 addresses using a GRE tunnel to our servers.

More info you can find HERE

Keep in mind that if you choose this option, the latency will be increased by 10-20ms. Depending on your location and ISP.

Managing your server

We were tired of using SolusVM, Virtualizor etc. Because none of them worked perfectly for us. So we build our own panel based on the Libvirt API. We call it: YourVM. Now we have a stable virtualisation panel that is built to our wishes.

For those who wonder: We're thinking about selling the panel under license in the future.

our admin panel:

Customer control panel

We didn't want a separate control panel for our customers. So we created a control panel inside WHMCS. Our customer VPS panel is clean and easy to use

Small FAQ

How far does your support go?
Our technical support is here to keep your VPS online. They will not install or configure your webserver or application. Those VPS servers are not managed.

Where are the servers located?
Our servers are located in the Global-E datacenter in Rijen, The Netherlands.

Do you allow spam or other illegal activity?
We do not! If we find out, we will suspend your server without refund.

Can I install via my own ISO?
Yes you can. Just create a support ticket with the link to the ISO file and we mount it on your VPS.

Do you offer livechat support?
Yes we do between local business hours.

Does the discount code (LOWENDTALK) works on every VPS package and is it recurring?
YES and YES

Payment methods

Local payment options

• iDeal
  • ING Home'pay
  • Bankcontact
  • Belfius betaalknop
  • KBC/CBC
  • Pay by phone
  • Achteraf betalen

Other payment options

• Paypal
  • Paysafecard
  • Mybank
  • Przelewy24
  • Bitcoin
  • SEPA recurring
  • SEPA transfer
  • Sofort Banking

Business information

Customer panel: https://clients.finalhosting.nl

KvK number (Dutch business registration): 54033721
VAT number: NL226260471B01

Mail: [email protected]
Create a ticket: Here
Phone number: +31 85 10 52 790

Test IP: 185.211.51.1
Test IP (DDoS protected): 151.80.54.129

Hope to see you soon!

Comments

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@jordynegen11 said:

Finalhosting has 3 employees. Myself, Melvin and Rob. Me and Melvin are the technical guys and Rob is the first line support/sales guy. With years of experience and troubleshooting, we know how to host a VPS. We are not a very big company with 100.000 servers, but we have 3 racks full of Dell blade servers.

Props to you for telling people how many employees you have and the amount of equipment.

So we build our own panel based on the Libvirt API. We call it: YourVM. Now we have a stable virtualisation panel that is built to our wishes.

and

Yes you can. Just create a support ticket with the link to the ISO file and we mount it on your VPS.

If you've written your own control panel you really should put in the ability for a user to install their own ISO.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

Ordered a trial, interested in seeing this panel.

• jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited May 2019

@donli said:

@jordynegen11 said:

Props to you for telling people how many employees you have and the amount of equipment.

So we build our own panel based on the Libvirt API. We call it: YourVM. Now we have a stable virtualisation panel that is built to our wishes.

and

If you've written your own control panel you really should put in the ability for a user to install their own ISO.

We are very open :smile:

We are working on a feature so that the customer can upload and mount their own ISO as we speak. It's already possible in the admin panel but not in the WHMCS module yet :neutral:

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

Storing the root password of the customer and in plaintext? Pretty sure that this is a serious flaw in terms of GDPR

edited May 2019

@FR_Michael said:
    Storing the root password of the customer and in plaintext?

No, we have encryption for that. For security reasons I can't say how.

edited May 2019

Your screenshot says "username: root" "password: ha-ha"

edited May 2019

@FR_Michael said:
    Watch you screenshot, it says "username: root" "password: ha-ha"

That's correct. Our system is decrypting it when loading the page. Why do you think the password is ha-ha?

edited May 2019

@jordynegen11 said:

@FR_Michael said:

That's correct. Our system is decrypting it when loading the page. Why do you think the password is ha-ha? :smile:

So you are saying that you are saving the root password and not as hash but in a way that allows to decrypt it?

edited May 2019

@FR_Michael said:

@jordynegen11 said:

@FR_Michael said:

That's correct. Our system is decrypting it when loading the page. Why do you think the password is ha-ha? :smile:

So you are saying that you are saving the root passord and not as hash but in a way that allows to decrypt it?

We have a way to decrypt the encrypted password. I want to tell you how but for security reasons, I can't.

Also if you don't trust, just change the password inside the VPS? :smiley:

The password in the panel will only be updated when you reinstal he VM or change the password via the control panel. If your change the password via the OS, It will not be updated in the panel. We will not spy on your passwords my friend ;)

edited May 2019

I honestly don't care how you do it because I am aware that no sane person would handle customer passwords that way.
    https://www.darkreading.com/safely-storing-user-passwords-hashing-vs-encrypting/a/d-id/1269374

Just one breach of your database and every (not changed) root password of your customers is known to the attacker leading to access to all customer data. We all know that most customers won't change the password due to laziness.

Thanked by 3vimalware doghouch bjo
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

For security reasons I can't say how.

hmmmm ... such secobscurity much wow

anyway I can plainly see it is actually "hunter2" (ha-ha)

best to get your setup very carefully reviewed by someone experienced with teh securitahs

other than that seems like a pretty good vibe to me - so here's hoping you'll do well with it!

edited May 2019

@jordynegen11 said:
    We have a way to decrypt the encrypted password. I want to tell you how but for security reasons, I can't.

Also if you don't trust, just change the password inside the VPS? :smiley:

The password in the panel will only be updated when you reinstal he VM or change the password via the control panel. If your change the password via the OS, It will not be updated in the panel. We will not spy on your passwords my friend ;)

so little sense of security :(

edited May 2019

@FR_Michael said:
    I honestly don't care how you do it because I am aware that no sane person would handle customer passwords that way.
    https://www.darkreading.com/safely-storing-user-passwords-hashing-vs-encrypting/a/d-id/1269374

Just one breach of your database and every (not changed) root password of your customers is known to the attacker leading to access to all customer data. We all know that most customers won't change the password due to laziness.

They still have to break our encryption if that will happen. It's not the standard PHP encrypt( method

@uptime said:

For security reasons I can't say how.

hmmmm ... such secobscurity much wow

anyway I can plainly see it is actually "hunter2" (ha-ha)

best to get your setup very carefully reviewed by someone experienced with teh securitahs

other than that seems like a pretty good vibe to me - so here's hoping you'll do well with it!

Only generated password by our panel will be saved in a encrypted way. I totally understand why you will not trust that if you don't know how we do that.

You can just change the password inside the OS. In that case the password will not be stored by the control panel.

But thanks @FR_Michael and @uptime for your feedback. I think we should inform our customers better about that.

Thanked by 1atErik
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

@jordynegen11 - I'm of course referring to the (perhaps controversial, somewhat nuanced) questionable concept of "security by obscurity". I won't pretend to know any more about the nuts and bolts of a secure system than you do - but would urge you to consult someone with more established credentials and experience when security is an issue. (And, security is always an issue.)

@FR_Michael - I have a question for you - and with minor trepidation about blithely wading into this sales thread ... I will just go ahead and ask here anyway (as is LET tradition ... hopefully @jordynegen11 might enjoy seeing the thread bumped a bit without being totally derailed by the discussion :))

I recently noticed receiving root and VNC passwords in plaintext email upon fresh creation of a VPS from your (impressive, wonderful, in-house) system. (Also with clear instructions to change the password ASAP). I see this with many providers (and it bothers me a bit).

Can you explain how this is fundamentally different from what you're pointing out with this system? Maybe I'm missing something obvious here - not thinking too hard on this but curious to know more and would appreciate some insight if you care to share any.

Thanked by 2jordynegen11 atErik
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited May 2019

jordynegen11 said: We have a way to decrypt the encrypted password. I want to tell you how but for security reasons, I can't.

If you have a way, someone else can find that way, and then you're screwed. If your panel can decrypt it, anyone can decrypt it. The easiest way to do so is by just looking at your code. Breaching the database is as easy as getting access to the (byte)code of the panel. Your first responsibility is making it hard for hackers to breach your database and code, but the second is minimizing the impact if they do.

The only exception would be if you store an encryption key in the browser and use that to decrypt the password. But that requires users to transfer keys between browsers to decrypt the password from anywhere, which is more of a hassle than actually remembering your password in the first place.

Other than that, looking good! All the best.

Thanked by 1jordynegen11
    edited May 2019

@FR_Michael - I have a question for you - and with minor trepidation about blithely wading into this sales thread ... I will just go ahead and ask here anyway (as is LET tradition ... hopefully @jordynegen11 might enjoy seeing the thread bumped a bit without being totally derailed by the discussion :))

Can you explain how this is fundamentally different from what you're pointing out with this system? Maybe I'm missing something obvious here - not thinking too hard on this but curious to know more and would appreciate some insight if you care to share any.

I see your point and believe me this is something we had a lot of headache with. But you need to die one death, one way or another. You need a way to transmit the initial password in the first place. We advice our customers to instantly change the password upon first login and if you distrust it you can change all of these passwords in a secure way (through f-com). In addition our Mailserver is using tls secured connections.

My problem on this is not the initial transfer of the password, my problem is that in case of a hacked control panel / database (this could happen to everyone, ask haendler.it about it) the attacker gets full access to every lazy customers vps and can access all files or do nasty things from their vps and no one will ever find out. Storing such passwords is a bad thing, storing them in a way that people with access can easily decrypt it makes things even worse.

@jordynegen11 don't get me wrong, it's good to see people / provider around that invested time and resources to create their own control panel and user experience and I wish you a good start here on LET.

Thanked by 2uptime atErik
    edited May 2019

@solaire said:

jordynegen11 said: We have a way to decrypt the encrypted password. I want to tell you how but for security reasons, I can't.

If you have a way, someone else can find that way, and then you're screwed. If your panel can decrypt it, anyone can decrypt it. The easiest way to do so is by just looking at your code. Breaching the database is as easy as getting access to the (byte)code of the panel. Your first responsibility is making it hard for hackers to breach your database and code, but the second is minimizing the impact if they do.

this! There is nothing more to say, thank you for that!

edited May 2019

@solaire said:

The only exception would be if you store an encryption key in the browser and use that to decrypt the password. But that requires users to transfer keys between browsers to decrypt the password from anywhere, which is more of a hassle than actually remembering your password in the first place.

Other than that, looking good! All the best.

We really thought about this. It's not like running a formula that decrypts the password. We had to give up some pageloading performance in order to do this.

If for some reason the database is leaked, a hacker needs physical access to our datacenter in order to decrypt the password. So good luck breaking in. Also you can't access the panel without a hardware key.

You're really talking about if, if, if ,if, if, if

And this is the last thing I gonna say about this. Because of your feedback we will choose to inform our customers betters about this. And if someone does not trust it, he or she can just change the password without storing it in the panel.

But thanks @solaire I got the message :smile:

I recently noticed receiving root and VNC passwords in plaintext email upon fresh creation of a VPS from your (impressive, wonderful, in-house) system. (Also with clear instructions to change the password ASAP). I see this with many providers (and it bothers me a bit).

@FR_Michael
    My friend, you are another provider that is doing the same thing. Also your panel can be hacked.. Why are you try to teach me? It's not very nice to slander (my best english) another provider in their thread.

I suggest we stop this discussion. If you want to continue it, feel free to add me on discord: JordyNL#0001

Thanked by 1atErik
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2019

For anyone who uses WHMCS and complains about root passwords, simply empty the DB password field ID in the tblcustomfieldsvalues table (and emails, but you should do it anyway) in an interval or write a hook/addon to do it with cron. Problem solved, now if your database gets hacked you'll be the only one who is dead and not your clients.

edited May 2019

@FR_Michael
    My friend, you are another provider that is doing the same thing. Also your panel can be hacked.. Why are you try to teach me? It's not very nice to slander (my best english) another provider in their thread.

I suggest we stop this discussion. If you want to continue it, feel free to add me on discord: JordyNL#0001

Just for the sake of it: we don't store any customer vps passwords in our control panel and customer login passwords are hashed with proven cryptographic libraries.

Good luck to you and your customers.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

@jordynegen11 welcome to LET :) ... Discussion (at its best, unfortunately perhaps all too rarely) can be a good opportunity to learn and teach in a conversation with fellow travelers - that's really the main impression I get from what I'm seeing here.

I think you'll know for sure if some "competition" is dumping on your thread, that does happen.

But in this case I believe a friendly critic can be your best friend - especially when it inspires you to improve a crucial aspect of your offering - or at least to explain it better, as you now have.

Thanked by 1jordynegen11
    edited May 2019

@uptime said:
    @jordynegen11 welcome to LET :) ... Discussion (at its best, unfortunately perhaps all too rarely) can be a good opportunity to learn and teach in a conversation with fellow travelers - that's really the main impression I get from what I'm seeing here.

I think you'll know for sure if some "competition" is dumping on your thread, that does happen.

But in this case I believe a friendly critic can be your best friend - especially when it inspires you to improve a crucial aspect of your offering - or at least to explain it better, as you now have.

You are right. I am totally open for critic and we have taken action because of your feedback. Tomorrow we will even discuss if we need to disable the encrypted password storage.

So it's not like we're doing nothing with you feedback. But I think this discussion has gone a little to far :wink:

Thanks @uptime <3

Thanked by 3uptime pepa65 atErik
  • uptimeuptime Member

Good to hear - I think you'll find many hosts are here to help each other out.

Anyway, I hope you make some sales and get some good customers today.

I'm going to get back to my regularly scheduled programming (and shitposting elsewhere) now ...

@jordynegen11 said:

@uptime said:

You are right. I am totally open for critic and we have taken action because of your feedback. Tomorrow we will even discuss if we need to disable the encrypted password storage.

But I think this discussion has gone a little to far :wink:
    I don't know how this goes on LET exactly, but in my opinion a provider that goes so far in a discussion of another provider... You just don't do that.

Don't get me wrong. It's totally fine to tell me of we're doing something wrong. But in this case, I don't criticize you like that in your own thread aswell. You almost hurt my feelings @FR_Michael :cry:

And i'm not talking about you @uptime <3

I thought you asked to stop this discussion?

If you find such a security flaw I would highly appreciate it when you would point it out. It's not about feelings or critic, it's about customer data and security.

Thanked by 2uptime atErik
  • Finalhosting... Gonna order a plan and blow my brains out.

• @Janevski said:
    Finalhosting... Gonna order a plan and blow my brains out.

My friend, i strongly suggest you to not do the second part...

• sanvitsanvit Member

@FR_Michael said:

@jordynegen11 said:

@uptime said:

I don't know how this goes on LET exactly, but in my opinion a provider that goes so far in a discussion of another provider... You just don't do that.

Don't get me wrong. It's totally fine to tell me of we're doing something wrong. But in this case, I don't criticize you like that in your own thread aswell. You almost hurt my feelings @FR_Michael :cry:

If you find such a security flaw I would highly appreciate it when you would point it out. It's not about feelings or critic, it's about customer data and security.

I don't think that's a security issue. Every provider has the 'see password' feature integrated on their panel, which is the generated password when re-installing. And it's up to the user to change the password in the terminal, unless I missed something.

Thanked by 2pepa65 atErik
  • uptimeuptime Member

@Janevski ... expressing appreciation for the final things in life

Thanked by 1Janevski

@sanvit said:

@FR_Michael said:

@jordynegen11 said:

@uptime said:

I don't think that's a security issue. Every provider has the 'see password' feature integrated on their panel, which is the generated password when re-installing. And it's up to the user to change the password in the terminal, unless I missed something.

you can see the explanation why this is a bad idea earlier in this thread. I am not aware of any major provider doing it. But @jordynegen11 is right, everything is said and we should stop spamming his thread. If you want to discuss this or have any questions you can send me a pm, I will happily respond.

Thanked by 2uptime sanvit
  • @jordynegen11 said:

You shouldn't. You really fucking shouldn't