Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage KVM VPS or dedi in the UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage KVM VPS or dedi in the UK

Hello!

Have been reading this amazing forum for a while, now need an advice.
I have been using OpenVZ VPS for a couple of years and now faced with a big bottle neck, so looking to migrate to KVM. Unfortunately, my current provider cannot offer me storage KVM, so looking for the following VPS:

UK location
VERY STABLE SERVER
At least 2GB RAM
500GB+ storage
1Gbit bandwidth
Traffic is not very important but I guess something around 1Tb should work

Now, I checked with Hostus, they do not have anything at the moment. Willing to give AlphaVPS a go but they are sold out in their London datacenter. Loveservers have the same but for RAM (they offer 1Gb) for £8 per month ($10).

Very important requirement is stability. I have been running my current VPS since Nov 2017 and only had three occasions when VPS was down, for no longer than a couple of hours, which I think is pretty good. I also had thoughts about Hetzner, even though they are in Germany but it should be a problem in Europe. However, I heard they are unreliable, with fairly regular reboots. I have checked their status page https://www.hetzner-status.de/en.html and noticed that they have a regular failures, which does not look good.

I have tried Loverservers for one educational project and it was good but not sure about the production project.

In terms of budget, I am willing to pay something around $10-$15 per month as long as the service is going to be stable, without regular unexplained reboots. I am also considering dedi for the sack of not sharing network with others. AlphaVPS 25EUR looks very attractive.

My main aim is to run Nextcloud for my pics/docs/files, mail server and a separate pics gallery. I am aware that Hetzner offers nextcloud boxes but I would prefer to manage everything myself.

Any recommendations/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Comments

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I have checked their status page https://www.hetzner-status.de/en.html and noticed that they have a regular failures, which does not look good.

Umm, do you even know how many nodes they have? Of course some of them fail. But my experience with Hetzner Cloud has been awesome so far.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @v3ng said:

I have checked their status page https://www.hetzner-status.de/en.html and noticed that they have a regular failures, which does not look good.

Umm, do you even know how many nodes they have? Of course some of them fail. But my experience with Hetzner Cloud has been awesome so far.

I know they are massive, which is good and bad at the same time. For how long have you been using Hetzner and did you have any downtimes so far?

• williewillie Member

I haven't had any probs with Hetzner cloud reboots. I've had a small one running for around 6 months I think. I've used bigger ones for shorter periods. If you choose the Ceph storage option that means if a node goes down your VM automatically migrates to another node and can still get to your files.

Thanked by 2uptime Hetzner_OL
  • The main issue with Hetzner is small disk size with their clouds. If I go for extra storage, the price will be around $60 per month, which is a lot.

@JohnFilch123 said:

@v3ng said:

I know they are massive, which is good and bad at the same time. For how long have you been using Hetzner and did you have any downtimes so far?

Around 6-7 months.
    Recently upgraded my VM, but haven't had any problems so far.
    There was only one planed reboot due to the spectre patch.

The previous VM had an uptime of around 80 days iirc.

Here a bench:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @AnthonySmith any stock available for this gent, due to cancellations?
    https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=31

Thanked by 2uptime JohnFilch123
  • nullnotherenullnothere Member
    edited May 2019

If for some reason you're unable to avail @AnthonySmith's offer above or want more resources or a higher end KVM, I suggest you take a look at Germany based Netcup's Easter Offer:

CPU: 4 vCores
    RAM: 12 GB
    Disk: 750 GB SSD-Performance (Cached with Optane™)
    Traffic: 40 TB

Price: Price: €8.75 / monthly (this includes VAT, and depending I think this can be removed).

https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2398

Not available any more

They are a reliable and solid provider - they have some rather stringent notice requirements for cancellations which have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way here but otherwise they are really good. Many folks here can attest to their quality.

They have very good uptime and it saves you the hassle of having to manage a dedi or disk failures.

Ordinarily their RS 1000 G8 product should be enough for you, but this Easter Sale offer is way better considering you do have the budget for it.

If you feel like it, you can use this voucher 36nc15570527420 here (this is an affiliate code that gives a €5 discount).

EDIT: As pointed out by @SirFoxy, this offer is no longer valid.

edited May 2019

You might also have a look at UltraVPS, I have their Storage Special with 1vCore/ 1GB RAM/ 750GB HDD/ 5TB Traffic - 48€ per year.

I'm very happy with it, never had a single downtime and their support is also very fast.

https://www.ultravps.eu

Thanked by 1uptime
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@nullnothere said:
    If for some reason you're unable to avail @AnthonySmith's offer above or want more resources or a higher end KVM, I suggest you take a look at Germany based Netcup's Easter Offer:

CPU: 4 vCores
    RAM: 12 GB
    Disk: 750 GB SSD-Performance (Cached with Optane™)
    Traffic: 40 TB

Price: Price: €8.75 / monthly (this includes VAT, and depending I think this can be removed).

https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2398

They are a reliable and solid provider - they have some rather stringent notice requirements for cancellations which have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way here but otherwise they are really good. Many folks here can attest to their quality.

They have very good uptime and it saves you the hassle of having to manage a dedi or disk failures.

Ordinarily their RS 1000 G8 product should be enough for you, but this Easter Sale offer is way better considering you do have the budget for it.

If you feel like it, you can use this voucher 36nc15570527420 here (this is an affiliate code that gives a €5 discount).

This offer is invalid now, also the affiliate promo only removes 5 euro from the setup fee which is predominantly useless as most of their products don't have a setup fee.

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • @SirFoxy said: This offer is invalid now, also the affiliate promo only removes 5 euro from the setup fee which is predominantly useless as most of their products don't have a setup fee.

My apologies - I was able to open the link to the product offer and so assumed that it was still "orderable" (I obviously didn't click through to place the order). They were excellent offers while they lasted though many of the higher value offers did remain available for a few days after Easter as well.

I'm not sure on the voucher - I think it's meant to be a €5 discount on any 1st invoice.

The Root servers while good aren't just as exciting IMHO. In case they seem to be useful for whatever reason, here's a code that gives you a 30% discount (I think it's a one time discount - not sure) on the RS 1000 SAS G8 product line: 2201nc15570549420

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

+1 for ultraVPS.eu in general if you're considering options in Germany. There is an English language version of their site: https://www.ultravps.eu/en/

I don't see an "exact" match among their offers with regard your 2 GB ram requirement etc - but their "Storage Special-2" is close and fits within your stated budget at €10 monthly for 2 vcores, 2 GB ram, and 2 TB storage.

I can also highly recommend CrownCloud's storage in Frankfurt - I've been enjoying good network and uptime with a 1 TB storage KVM at that location since I picked it up in December (and good experience with their storage offers in Los Angeles for over a year). The storage deals come with 512 MB ram which can be increased up to a total of 2 GB (which would add $3 to the $7 base cost for 1 TB with 2 vcores for total cost of $10 per month). They also might have a smaller 500 GB offer for $5 monthly (also with 2 vcores and the option to increase ram to 2 GB, which would bring the cost up to $8).

They're on LET - here is a recent offer thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/156395/crowncloud-1000-gb-hdd-kvm-storage-at-frankfurt-los-angeles-7-month-more/p1

EDIT2:

As far as UK goes, I just know Inception's 400 GB storage deal which is as solid as it gets and with 2 GB ram seems close to what you're asking for ... but may be sold out at the moment.

Thanked by 2SpeedBus vimalware
  • JohnFilch123JohnFilch123 Member
    edited May 2019

Have seen UltraVPS but not sure how reliable they are. I am prepared to stretch the budget as long as the service will be reliable.

I have got some time before my current VPS will expire (Nov 2019), so I am willing to wait for a solid UK service.

Thanks guys!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @JohnFilch123 said:
    Have seen UltraVPS but not sure how reliable they are. I am prepared to stretch the budget as long as the service will be reliable.

UltraVPS.eu is quite reliable. (used 2.5yrs in production personally )
    It would have been in my recommendation comment if you hadn't specifically mentioned UK.
    Go for a 12mo contract without hesitation, as it lets you lock in the best price they can do.

At your decent budget, that netcup VPS with the 750GB intel optane cached storage is also a great deal. Test your ping against lg.netcup.net

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@vimalware said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

UltraVPS.eu is quite reliable. (used 2.5yrs in production personally )
    It would have been in my recommendation comment if you hadn't specifically mentioned UK.
    Go for a 12mo contract without hesitation, as it lets you lock in the best price they can do.

At your decent budget, that netcup VPS with the 750GB intel optane cached storage is also a great deal. Test your ping against lg.netcup.net

The Netcup deal isn't available anymore... lol

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I'm using a LoveServers VPS for production work and it's been flawless.

• Hi guys! Had a chance to test Hetzner's nextcloud and speed is a bit disappointing. So, still looking for a storage VPS in the UK. Perhaps @Jack @AlexBarakov can offer something

• solairesolaire Member

@JohnFilch123 said:
    Hi guys! Had a chance to test Hetzner's nextcloud and speed is a bit disappointing. So, still looking for a storage VPS in the UK. Perhaps @Jack @AlexBarakov can offer something

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2970219#Comment_2970219

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Does it have to be the UK?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

JohnFilch123 said: Hi guys! Had a chance to test Hetzner's nextcloud and speed is a bit disappointing. So, still looking for a storage VPS in the UK. Perhaps

Sounds like you need a regular VPS with a fair bit of storage instead of trying to run nextcloud on a storage VPS and expecting regular VPS performance :)

Just an observation.

• AlexBarakov said: Does it have to be the UK?

I am actually thinking to spread my projects, so storage server - yes, in the UK. Mail server - no as long as it is a reliable service with min. downtime and +/- good latency in Europe.

AnthonySmith said: Sounds like you need a regular VPS with a fair bit of storage instead of trying to run nextcloud on a storage VPS and expecting regular VPS performance

Thanks. Any specific suggestions how to organize a storage without Nextcloud? Actually, I also tried Nextcloud on another VPS (London Datacentre) and the speed was very good, this is why I am looking for a storage server in the UK.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

It's more about the routes than the location. Could probably get a good route from a france, or Netherlands provider for cheaper for example.

• williewillie Member

JohnFilch123 said: The main issue with Hetzner is small disk size with their clouds. If I go for extra storage, the price will be around $60 per month, which is a lot.

If you mean the block storage volumes, that is SSD storage which will be much more expensive (but faster) than HDD storage. $60/month would be 1.5 TB of it. At that point you probably want an HDD dedicated server from wherever.

I'm slightly disappointed but not surprised to hear that their Nextcloud product is slow. It is part of their StorageBox product which was originally intended as a backup service. It works great for that though it is slower than what we'd normally expect from a file store. People have been using it as mounted sshfs storage and it is marginal for that. I guess offering Nextcloud on it is just the next thing.

Hey @Hetzner_OL, I think those products should be separated from each other so StorageBox remains as a low cost, modest performance backup storage medium, and Nextcloud can be higher performance and more expensive. StorageBox is about due for a refresh / price reduction anyway, since the current SX servers are far less expensive per TB. A few years ago they were roughly equal. Using StorageBox as mounted online storage is borderline abuse and I think it would be ok to implement measures to prevent that, if it keeps costs down.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi @willie, I forwarded your message to my colleague from the relevant department and we talked about some of your statements. Here's what he said:
    "I can not directly confirm that our Storage Boxes are slow. They are actually relatively high-performance and you can usually reach 30 MB/s+. However, the Storage Boxes themselves are of course a shared system, where performance can fluctuate. If a customer experiences problems with the speed of his Storage Box, it might also be due to other problems (e.g. network route, client too slow for SSHFS encryption, etc.). That's why he should open a support ticket so that we can check what is really causing the speed problem.

willie said: I think those products should be separated from each other

Our Nextcloud is actually completely separated from the Storage Boxes. They do not build on each other directly. However, we use a similar tech stack for both. Normally, customers can expect better performance from the Storage Boxes than from our Nextcloud. This is due to the overhead generated by the Nextcloud itself.

willie said: StorageBox is about due for a refresh / price reduction anyway

Regarding your price comparison between the Storage Boxes and our SX servers, there are many use cases in which the Storage Boxes are the better option than a SX server. Some customers don't want to take care of the server and its software, configuration, administration, etc. and therefore would prefer Storage Boxes over a dedicated server where he doesn't need to worry about the maintenance of the storage system. We take care of both the software on the Storage Box server, and the hardware. This is why it's slightly more expensive per TB.

Anyway, you gave us a lot of input here and we appreciate your constructive review. We're always happy to receive feedback from our customers and try to implement it in our products as best as we can.

--Julia, Marketing

• Jack said: £16/TB

Sadly out of budget since this price will have to double to have 2Gb.

Still looking for a storage VPS but seems like I will have to stick with Hetzner Nextcloud. 3Mb/s download is a bit sad but...

• ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep

Here are some servers in Europe with 2 GB+ RAM for less than $20, sorted by price per TB:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=0F1-D96-425

Seems like the OVH ARMs would work well, if you don't mind a weak CPU and 250 mbit :smile:

• @ServerHunter said:
    Here are some servers in Europe with 2 GB+ RAM for less than $20, sorted by price per TB:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=0F1-D96-425

Seems like the OVH ARMs would work well, if you don't mind a weak CPU and 250 mbit :smile:

I will survive the weak CPU but 250 mbit shared will be a nightmare.

• Hetzner_OL said: Normally, customers can expect better performance from the Storage Boxes than from our Nextcloud

Any chance customers will experience better performance with Nextcloud soon? 3 Mb/s from the UK is way too slow these days.

• @JohnFilch123 - you should checkout this thread https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157427/netcup-flash-sale since Netcup's latest flash offer is available now and I think it's a good option for you.