Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High bandwidth VPS for running Shadowsocks? (accessed from China)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High bandwidth VPS for running Shadowsocks? (accessed from China)

sysksysk Member

I'm in China and looking to setup a VPN. So I'm looking for a VPS provider with good connectivity to China (e.g. Singapore/Japan/HK location) and cheap bandwidth (~1 TB). I have recently tested Shadowsocks on some Vultr servers (Japan, Singapore) but they seemed to get semi-instantly blocked by the GFW. I also tried Wireguard it was slow and unstable. I also played a bit with v2ray but I couldn't find any English documentation on how to set it up on an OpenWRT router, so I'll have to stick to Shadowsocks for now.

My budget is under 20$/month.

Thanks!

Comments

• AIOAIO Member

There is no such thing. Shadowsocks can't be used for high bandwidth throughout past the GFW without aggressive rotating IP switching.

Thanked by 1Yandex
  • edited May 2019

BuyVM Las Vegas with CN2 connectivity? gigabit unlimited right?

Most hosts in hong kong, taiwan, etc are not high bandwidth. They can provide it, but it costs an insane amount. Like 50-100x that of US & Europe.

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited May 2019

RackSpace
    BandwagonHost
    VpsServer

In your case the the best locations are Hong Kong, Singapore, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, Seattle

• sysksysk Member

@AIO said:
    There is no such thing. Shadowsocks can't be used for high bandwidth throughout past the GFW without aggressive rotating IP switching.

Are you talking from personal experience? Do you have an alternative to recommend?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

theblackesthat said: BuyVM Las Vegas with CN2 connectivity? gigabit unlimited right?

You wish.

I haven't set in stone hard limits, but generally it's only a handful of customers that have so far taken that as 'unlimited CN2 on my $2.00/month VPS'.

They then get angry when we cap their port or just revoke their CN2 routes.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

theblackesthat said: BuyVM Las Vegas with CN2 connectivity? gigabit unlimited right?

You wish.

I haven't set in stone hard limits, but generally it's only a handful of customers that have so far taken that as 'unlimited CN2 on my $2.00/month VPS'.

They then get angry when we cap their port or just revoke their CN2 routes.

Francisco

If I was to buy a 60$ VPS - Then how much CN2 would be allowed? All other traffic is unlimited?

theblackesthat said: If I was to buy a 60$ VPS - Then how much CN2 would be allowed? All other traffic is unlimited?

I'd be OK at like 5 - 10TB of CN2.

All other transit fair share unmetered (around 100TB - 150TB on that side is good).

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Francisco said:

theblackesthat said: If I was to buy a 60$ VPS - Then how much CN2 would be allowed? All other traffic is unlimited?

All other transit fair share unmetered (around 100TB - 150TB on that side is good).

Francisco

Cool, good to know. Sounds like a great place to buy a VPS from to use as VPN.

https://buyvmstock.com

Your biggest issue is its too damn difficult to buy because its always sold out. I gotta check it like I would concert tickets. I'm starting to think this is your subliminal advertising of appealing to the fact that people want what they can't have. Brilliant Fran!

Would buying a DDOS Protected IP for a server that will be used as VPN server make sense? Would that provide any real benefit or not since its not a website?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Do you accept sisters by chance? Or only credit / PayPal / Bitcoin?

Maybe premium towels if not?

theblackesthat said: Your biggest issue is its too damn difficult to buy because its always sold out. I gotta check it like I would concert tickets. I'm starting to think this is your subliminal advertising of appealing to the fact that people want what they can't have. Brilliant Fran!

We did a fair bit of turn up in March in Vegas.

I'm literally in the midst of assembling a full rack of gear that'll be heading to Luxembourg later this month :) NY is getting some for June.

I promise we didn't learn business from Cartman. It just happens that once we dealt with our demons, we sucked less.

Francisco

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited May 2019

@theblackesthat said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Your biggest issue is its too damn difficult to buy because its always sold out. I gotta check it like I would concert tickets. I'm starting to think this is your subliminal advertising of appealing to the fact that people want what they can't have. Brilliant Fran!

Would buying a DDOS Protected IP for a server that will be used as VPN server make sense? Would that provide any real benefit or not since its not a website?

DDoS protected IPs go through voxility so afaik it won't have CN2. And for personal VPN I don't think that's necessary.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @sanvit said:

@theblackesthat said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

DDoS protected IPs go through voxility so afaik it won't have CN2. And for personal VPN I don't think that's necessary.

That's what I was thinking too, thanks for your input.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • OPggOPgg Member

I tried to leave link to adequate VPS server 5 USD 1 Tb bandwidth here but got warring that I send spam. Good luck on search in this topic with such moderation level

• @sysk said:
    I'm in China and looking to setup a VPN. So I'm looking for a VPS provider with good connectivity to China (e.g. Singapore/Japan/HK location) and cheap bandwidth (~1 TB). I have recently tested Shadowsocks on some Vultr servers (Japan, Singapore) but they seemed to get semi-instantly blocked by the GFW. I also tried Wireguard it was slow and unstable. I also played a bit with v2ray but I couldn't find any English documentation on how to set it up on an OpenWRT router, so I'll have to stick to Shadowsocks for now.

Thanks!

Hi there~ Welcome to China.

Disclaimer: I run a managed ShadowSocksR (note the trailing R letter) service at WhaleBlue.io, and I also provide VPS with Gbps home broadband connections from our Hong Kong and Taiwan facilities.

I consider myself to be proficient in managing ShadowSocks(R) and picking servers that offers good speeds and low probability getting blocked by GFW.

1. Wireguard is not designed for bypassing China's GFW. It has distinct traffic patterns and can be easily recognized and blocked.
    2. V2Ray can work on LEDE. I will paste links to YouTube demos at the end. They are in Chinese tho.
    3. For your budget, I would highly recommend Alibaba Cloud in Hong Kong and Singapore. Their ECS instances in both regions come with CN2 GIA and plenty of bandwidth. For $10/Mo you get 2TB egress in Singapore, and for $19/Mo 2TB egress in Hong Kong. Although speeds are capped at 30Mbps, it should be quite enough for streaming 4K shows. Better yet, if your IP gets blocked, you can get a new one by binding to a new elastic IP. Link https://sp-buy-intl.aliyun.com/simple#/simple

• @sysk said:

Thanks!

English document for V2ray
    https://www.v2ray.com/en/

Enjoy!

• I am using Goflyway, which works on cheap VPS or NAT VPS with IPV6, which can be hidden behind Cloudflare.