Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Security breach: haendler.it - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Security breach: haendler.it

2»

Comments

• ehabehab Member

@GameTownProjects just focus now on your end, don't LET distract you.... if you need some assistance just say/pm... wish you a speedy recovery... no bull shit.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

Sympathy and best wishes for fast recovery!

Still ... I must remark ... This:

Tick tack. Die Zeit läuft. Eure Systeme zu überprüfen und Passwörter ändern rettet euch nicht. Dieses Mal waren nur ein paar Services down. Morgen werden alle Systeme unwiderruflich zerstört. Euer Stolz bricht euch das Genick. Ihr spielt mit dem Feuer. Zahlt oder es knallt.

seems (to my addled mind) to be vaguely inspired by:

EDIT2: Good luck for great justice!

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Tr33nTr33n Member

When I read your comments and the seemingly non-existent technical organization, the word "Wohnzimmerhoster" comes into my mind.

Nevertheless, I admire the self-criticism, but if things are going on so chaotically, it was only a matter of time. Nevertheless, good luck.

Thanked by 1bjo
  • Happens to the best of us, however you have responsibility for the customer data (Personal details). Make sure you've acted in accordance to GDPR regulations which often requires a notification to a ICO or similar (in the UK atleast).

You should have considered the mangement of these nodes and not gone for the "if it aint broke don't fix it" approach. I can imagine some of the vulnerabilities they have used, there have been some critical, absolute show stoppers over the last couple of years across a range of software and products used by VM and web hosts.

In future, I would suggest centralized logging at a minimum, having frequent security scans using something like Nessus or Qualys (or if you're technically inclined, do it yourself / hire a white-hat). You could have possibly avoided this, or limited their pivoting across all the servers.

In terms of recovery, it's difficult to say how deep they have got, have they infected each VM? Have they left any backdoors? Assume everything is compromised, burn and restart securely, NEVER importing anything that you don't 100% trust hasn't been modified by an attacker.

A central service such as Observium would be a good start in terms of monitoring and alerting.

• OseriOseri Member

@GameTownProjects said:
    At least that's true since it is possible to bring back our old panel and add the customer’s by our own, but we won't do it... We are planning since a long time to change the control panel and now we got a choice to do it.

We've a saying "No hay mal que por bien no venga", loosely translated as "every bad have a good coming after it". Now time to rebuild it more robust and secure.

• @GameTownProjects said:
    Our current websites were made by me this night before I got to bed so that there are anything online.

I see a lot of missings and mistakes there, but I think it was better to put something online then keep a empty site.

@Tion Did you ever got a invoice from us? If yes it seems like we forgot to send mail to users who disabled the newsletter (or the mail received in your spam folder).

No, not all users got the email yet. I didn't but no worries, I'm informed now. You're doing an amazing job.

• TionTion Member

Got the mail in the end. Gmail decided it's an advertisment instead of an important information.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited May 2019

Sometimes LET is a true place of miracles. Where one that asks one question get slammed and where a true company that gets compromized gets all the sympathy.

My advice: go to the police, file a report for breaching your system and threatning to remove all your data. And stop wasting time to this dude. If it was my company, I would change all the passwords, reinstall / switch panel, see if I have a backup before the breach (if there was a vuln in the core system and the VPS’es were fine, it’s no problem) and stop giving this joker attention.

The last thing to do is to wait and see until the hacker will or will not decide to do what he threatens to do.

Also, I guess it’s one of the reasons why I am not a big fan of one-man-shows when it comes to webhosting and rather go with a bigger company. That’s just my personal opinion. I configure servers on demand, but never started a hosting business for this sole reason. It is easy to overlook things.

But who am I kidding? My reputation on LET is very low, due to these kids that like to slam me over comments from years ago...

Thanked by 1bjo
  • WolfWolf Member

@DennisdeWit

One of the reasons is simple. Most people getting slammed simply do dumb stuff and ask questions without ever doing any research on their own or spread false claims. Often proofing that they are not capable to do whatever they asked for or it is simply self inflicted.

Todays hosting industry is more 'dangerous' than ever before and some people on here might be able to identify with the provider. As I mentioned before, hacks happen to best and biggest companys. Guess they learned from that and will improve in the future, starting with a new and secured panel ;)

• @Wolf: I see not updating to the latest updates as some form of being lazy when you are a hosting provider. And again, I was lazy too with my DNS question, but at least I am not running a hosting business. And I owned me being lazy.

Having a critical bug in the panel that has been around for 6 years, needs more explanation to me. Or am I missing something? I am a small business myself, but to update the CRM panel regularly. And I take backups everyday of both all of my websites and databases into a different server + my server at home.

A hosting provider that doesn’t make backups of even their own websites, so that the owner has to make a new site right before going to bed? How does this even work?

I had a dataloss somewhat years ago at a previous provider. The hard drive was defective. I learnt the hard way to backup my data.

How do you sell a data breach to your customers? I had some ‘we had a data breach’ mails in the past. It always resulted in me deleting my account over there.

• WolfWolf Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    @Wolf: I see not updating to the latest updates as some form of being lazy when you are a hosting provider. And again, I was lazy too with my DNS question, but at least I am not running a hosting business. And I owned me being lazy.

Having a critical bug in the panel that has been around for 6 years, needs more explanation to me. Or am I missing something? I am a small business myself, but to update the CRM panel regularly. And I take backups everyday of both all of my websites and databases into a different server + my server at home.

A hosting provider that doesn’t make backups of even their own websites, so that the owner has to make a new site right before going to bed? How does this even work?

I had a dataloss somewhat years ago at a previous provider. The hard drive was defective. I learnt the hard way to backup my data.

How do you sell a data breach to your customers? I had some ‘we had a data breach’ mails in the past. It always resulted in me deleting my account over there.

Could be you miss understood something here. They have backups of everything, but the current ‘landingpage’ was created just for this incident. Thats why it was rushed...

They refused to just put the original panel online, to fix the security issue but instead of uploading it, they are now completing the complete new panel.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

GameTownProjects said: Hello,

we are realy fucked thats true

Famous last words spoken from a captain.

GameTownProjects said: but please please keep in mind that at this moment situation some important customers have priority.

I admire your honesty, but shouldn't you say that all of your customers are important and you appreciate their trust with their most beloved data with you?

You cannot value the customer's project by the amount he or she pays to you.
    I mean you can, but you would not look nicely doing that publicly.

You're basically saying that most of your customers are cheap trash, except some of them.
    Have you considered that maybe you (your offers) are cheap?

Anyhow, i couldn't care less than this.

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

My advice: go to the police, file a report for breaching your system and threatning to remove all your data. And stop wasting time to this dude. If it was my company, I would change all the passwords, reinstall / switch panel, see if I have a backup before the breach (if there was a vuln in the core system and the VPS’es were fine, it’s no problem) and stop giving this joker attention.

All done before I write a comment here.
    I am not a one man army, but of course my small team is nothing compared to a big hoster.

You're basically saying that most of your customers are cheap trash, except some of them.
    Have you considered that maybe you (your offers) are cheap?

If they would cancel there services we will not be able to stay online, so we decided to priority there support since they are finance the cheap deals.
    That does not mean we need weeks to respond 1€ customers, but it can take hours up to days if your system is not down.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited May 2019

@GameTownProjects said:
    If they would cancel there services we will not be able to stay online, so we decided to priority there support since they are finance the cheap deals.
    That does not mean we need weeks to respond 1€ customers, but it can take hours up to days if your system is not down.

Just delete your account here and never come back again with your fucking attitude regarding any client who didn't do anything abusive.

It's your complete fault to not being ready for emergency situations (not having backups for examples and still not talking about security holes).

If those "over" paying customers will see your attitude, they'll regret to being your customer.

Also don't forget that €1 customers might get your much bigger business than you might've expected.

Thanked by 3Tr33n SashkaPro bjo
  • @alexvolk said:
    Also don't forget that €1 customers might get your much bigger business than you might've expected.

TBF, this might have been true in 2012.
    Now, this is probably the exception, rather than the rule.

Thanked by 1HaendlerIT
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2019

@alexvolk said:

No longer applies.

Nowadays, cheap customers are nothing but baggage. Having too much of expectations while paying peanuts. Asking shit ton of questions, filing chargebacks/disputes on whim, making bad reviews simply because of PMS, etc.

Thanked by 2vimalware HaendlerIT
  • Thanked by GameTownProjects

I see your point @GameTownProjects, all your "cheap" clients are abusive so that's the reason why you don't care.

I'll wait a little bit until you'll post your new offer here.

Normally customers aren't charging back, creating trillions of tickets as well as bashing provider on forums 24/7.

@deank said:
    No longer applies.

Nowadays, cheap customers are nothing but baggage. Having too much of expectations while paying peanuts. Asking shit ton of questions, filing chargebacks/disputes on whim, making bad reviews simply because of PMS, etc.

You're both talking about the abusive clients which comes from high-risk countries. Due to language barrier those customers just can't understand what exactly chargeback/dispute/tos/abuse or any meaning at all.

Good providers if they can't handle for a long time abusive customers they simply don't accept orders from high-risk countries or just deny too risky clients (as an example).

But some low pro providers accepting abusive customers due to some cents and then crying on the forums_ lol.

@vimalware said:
    TBF, this might have been true in 2012.
    Now, this is probably the exception, rather than the rule.

Well, in 2012 leb/let deals were exclusive and nobody translated offers and posted it on the blogs to earn affiliate money. Yeah, affiliate programs probably killed every offer.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2019

People from "High-risk countries" are humans as well just like yourself.

Don't look down on them like animals.

Thanked by 3graphic HaendlerIT pike
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

alexvolk said: Normally customers aren't charging back, creating trillions of tickets as well as bashing provider on forums 24/7.

I think in the long run (a healthy) customer base is (or at least should be) a bell curve, same as many things in life:
    10% very niceness, just idle, no questions asked, perhaps forgot they're paying for service
    80% idle and some modest services, low maintenance
    10% dicks

Thanked by 2vimalware alexvolk
  • @deank said:
    People from "High-risk countries" are humans as well just like yourself.

Don't look down on them like animals.

Well, first of all do you understand what exactly means "high-risk countries" in hosting industry?

Secondly, please point me where I've said that they are animals?

Thirdly, this discussion is about @GameTownProjects that he doesn't care €1 customers while being hacked (servers deleted, no backups).

What you're trying to do is simply finding the reason for him so it will look as normal.

Why he didn't answer himself in the first place?

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

@alexvolk said:
    Thirdly, this discussion is about @GameTownProjects that he doesn't care €1 customers while being hacked (servers deleted, no backups).

All customers who are affected by deleting some of there data got high priority support of course, but I thought most of them are already back online since that were only a few website and teamspeak customers.

I talked about customers who asking for a reinstall or something similar for there still working vps.
    The vps should be still online and at the moment we are still working to finish a working version from our new panel, so that every customer can controle his server.

If you need access to your server contact our support and some of us will happily help you and create a proxmox account. I just wanted to emphasize in advance that it sometimes take upto a few days until someone has time to answere these tickets at the moment.

• cmeerwcmeerw Member

@alexvolk said:

Let me chip in here as I probably count as one of their €1 (more or less) customers. I actually do understand that they have to prioritise certain customers at the moment (and I hope they do get it all sorted out and continue hosting my VPS)

Thanked by 1Falzo