Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perth, Australia | KVM 768MB RAM, 20GB SSD AU$4/mo.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Perth, Australia | KVM 768MB RAM, 20GB SSD AU$4/mo.

BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep

Hello everyone,

Five years ago I posted our initial KVM offer in Brisbane. Since then we have added Sydney and Melbourne, and now its Perth's turn.

We have a bespoke control panel with a wide variety of features, some of the more interesting ones are:

• external firewall with web-interface
  • good IPv6 support, including a /56 per server and PTR nameserver delegation
  • "virtual private cloud" (vxlan) for inter-server communication
  • upload/download disk backups
  • variety of pre-built distributions or BYO ISO
  • load-balancer as-a-service
  • OpenStack Compute API support

We have a LG here: https://per-lg.binarylane.cloud/

--
https://www.binarylane.com.au/

Comments

• corbpiecorbpie Member

An alright starter plan

• Binarylane is prem af, I love my Brisbane VPS - I use it as a proxy because my ISP has pretty ordinary overseas routing, if I proxy through Binarylane it maxes my connection. Network is fast my man.

Best $4 AUD spent just on that note alone.

Congrats on the expansion to Perth!

I got the email today about the plan changes, is it correct that the $4 tier didn't change or was it already updated in our accounts?

Thanked by 1termau
  • At the bottom, there's Mammoth Cloud. What is it? The main company?

• BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    is it correct that the $4 tier didn't change

$4 plan did not change, no. Broadly we reduced the cost of increasing SSD past the 20GB minimum, and added more data transfer for plans with 2GB or more memory.

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    At the bottom, there's Mammoth Cloud. What is it? The main company?

We operate two brands on the same hardware stack and software platform. Mammoth Cloud is the "technical support included" alternative.

• GravelyGravely Member

dahartigan said: Binarylane is prem af

Can very much vouch for this! The majority of my infrastructure is now hosted at BinaryLane and have never looked elsewhere.

Thanked by 2dahartigan termau
  • GravelyGravely Member
    edited May 2019

Bench.sh for anyone interested;

----------------------------------------------------------------------
            CPU model            : Intel KVM processor v2
            Number of cores      : 1
            CPU frequency        : 2593.910 MHz
            Total size of Disk   : 20.0 GB (0.9 GB Used)
            Total amount of Mem  : 739 MB (57 MB Used)
            Total amount of Swap : 0 MB (0 MB Used)
            System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 0 min
            Load average         : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
            OS                   : CentOS 7.5.1804
            Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
            Kernel               : 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64
            I/O speed(1st run)   : 992 MB/s
            I/O speed(2nd run)   : 1.3 GB/s
            I/O speed(3rd run)   : 1.0 GB/s
            Average I/O speed    : 1115.7 MB/s
            Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
            CacheFly                        204.93.143.143          106MB/s
            Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          7.72MB/s
            Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            10.3MB/s
            Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           3.82MB/s
            Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           3.57MB/s
            Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             6.17MB/s
            Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           4.16MB/s
            Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          4.06MB/s
            Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            2.78MB/s
            Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           12.4MB/s
            Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          9.26MB/s
    Thanked by 1corbpie
  • hzrhzr Member

BGP session possible?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited May 2019

Out of all the VPS providers I've ever used (both in Australia as well as other countries), Binary Lane is by far one of my favourites. The thing I really like is that they have features that are normally only available on more expensive providers (such as hourly billing, an OpenStack-compatible API, ability to upload backups to restore VPS, and the ability to instantly scale up or down resources like CPU, RAM and disk space). Their control panel is one of the best I've seen, and is what I compare all other providers to.

Disk IO is ridiculously good... The most recent benchmark I did showed ~90k read IOPS and ~34k write IOPS using fio. In some cases disk IO with BinaryLane is 2 or 3 times faster than other providers that say they use NVMe drives.

If your service ever becomes available in the USA, I'd likely migrate many of my other VPSes across.

For anyone that wants to try it out, hourly billing makes it very attractive to set up a server and play with it for a few hours.

• termautermau Member

Where in the US would you go, east coast, or west?

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited May 2019

If it wasn't Superloop networking, I would snap one up :(

EDIT: Next reply will probably be, 'Why? Superloop is amazing!'. Wrong (in my opinion). I've found that Superloop generally goes the cheaper way instead of the best way when it comes to routing, especially from Perth. Always through Sydney even when a better alternative is readily available through Singapore. Of course it depends on your use case, but for a use of VPN as an example - my routing using ABB (Telstra backbone) was better.

For the price point however, it's a good offer and I wouldn't expect much more.

Also, Superloop just last night had a routing issue where all Perth traffic was going through Singapore to the US instead of via the faster route of Sydney > US - this was rectified but shows they have constant issues.

• Hey @BinaryLane is your traffic counted as in+out combined, out only, or whichever is higher?

Thanks!

• Nate812Nate812 Member

Can you provide BGP?

• BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep

@t0ny0 said:
    Hey @BinaryLane is your traffic counted as in+out combined, out only, or whichever is higher?

Out only

@Nate812 said:
    Can you provide BGP?

Not currently sorry

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting