Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you pay for 1TB VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you pay for 1TB VPS ?

Just wondering. What would you pay for a vps with this specs ?

2vcores
2gb ram
1TB HDD
gbit shared port with 10TB traffic

ONLY OPENVZ.

What would you pay?

Comments

• How much will you pay me to use OpenVZ?

• donlidonli Member

Depends. How long before the provider goes bust?

• $0.07/year only to keep it idle.

Thanked by 2plumberg Chuck
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2019

One bazillion dollar. Oh wait, I have two 1TB VPS. And they are KVM. OpenVZ? No, thank you. ;)

Thanked by 1taubin
  • donlidonli Member

@Chronic said:
    How much will you pay me to use OpenVZ?

6 or 7?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Obviously not more than $7/m (with proper virtualization).

Within an OVZ container: Probably not more than $5/m.

Sometimes there are great deals like that 8 TB dedi from Dacentec for $25, resulting in less than $5/TB - on a dedicated server, incl. n+1 HDD redundancy.

• I am paying $4/month for my 1TB KVM storage VPS.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

I think it will be hard for a new host to get any traction with this product. I have a couple of such OpenVZ plans in the sub-$3/TB(?) range plus a HostHatch KVM at $3.33/TB and missed out on the most recent HH promo of $2.33/TB KVM. Any lower prices (or even the HH promo) are obviously unsustainable and I'd never buy at a lower price from a new host since I'd doubt their survival. On the other hand, if the price were equal or higher then I'd buy from an established host because why take chances with a new one?

The thing is, moving a TB of data around is difficult, so buying such a plan probably means I want to keep it for a while, so the host has to stay around. It's easier to take chances with smaller plans since if something goes wrong you just shrug, rely on the backups you have elsewhere, and move on.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

No more than 2 bucks.

Thanked by 2uptime Janevski
  • And what's going on with the rest of the server?

• 7$ /month

• I'd be interested in a product like Hetzner StorageBox at around $3 to $4 per TB if it was:

• hosted in the US, preferably west coast
    • available in 1TB increments or smaller (250GB would be great)
    • raid-6 redundancy
    • 1 gbit connectivity that really could transfer at something like that speed (limited bandwidth is ok, say 3TB per month per TB of capacity since this is for backup/archiving)
    • available as a regular non-promo offer without frequent stock shortages
    • It is ok (desirable even) if the product is firewalled to a whitelist of 10 or so IP addresses, updatable through web 1x a day or so. That is, it doesn't have to be reachable by the general internet.
    • It is ok with me if it is ipv6-only but shared ipv4 is ok.

This avoids a lot of issues with abuse, overload, cost of dedicated ipv4 addresses, etc. so it sounds like it could be sustainable by someone parking some colo hardware someplace.

• Got one similar spec from Time4VPS during 50% off promotion, about 35 euro per year. I think about 50 euro/usd per month, with less RAM or cores.

• @willie said:
    I'd be interested in a product like Hetzner StorageBox at around $3 to $4 per TB if it was:

• hosted in the US, preferably west coast
    • available in 1TB increments or smaller (250GB would be great)
    • raid-6 redundancy
    • 1 gbit connectivity that really could transfer at something like that speed (limited bandwidth is ok, say 3TB per month per TB of capacity since this is for backup/archiving)
    • available as a regular non-promo offer without frequent stock shortages
    • It is ok (desirable even) if the product is firewalled to a whitelist of 10 or so IP addresses, updatable through web 1x a day or so. That is, it doesn't have to be reachable by the general internet.
    • It is ok with me if it is ipv6-only but shared ipv4 is ok.

This avoids a lot of issues with abuse, overload, cost of dedicated ipv4 addresses, etc. so it sounds like it could be sustainable by someone parking some colo hardware someplace.

Sounds like fran block storage..

• $6 if OpenVZ rubbish

$7 for KVM

• US$5 if it OpenVZ

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

That's similar to our plan but with half the RAM, people still ask for coupons even at $5.99/month so aim lower. :(

• 5$ for openvz and 7$ for KVM

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

chocolateshirt said:Sounds like fran block storage..

Sort of, but that's $5/month, and while it's maturing it's still using tech that hasn't been around that long. I do have a 500gb slab though.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2019

Openvz: $35/yr
    KVM : $18/qtr

I am cheep.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited April 2019

Johnsendrift said: Just wondering. What would you pay for a vps with this specs ?

2vcores
    2gb ram
    1TB HDD
    gbit shared port with 10TB traffic

ONLY OPENVZ.

What would you pay?

Personally me will try to reduce cost by reducing:

• 2 Cores -> 1 core
    • 2GB ram -> 128 - 256 - 512mb ram.
    • 1TB HDD
    • Gbit shared with 2TB will be okay.
    • 1-5 ipv6 without ipv4 or with shared ipv4 (NAT).

Price: < 5$ / mo

• $7 for me.

• as a block storage addon: $4

• If this is about storage drives for backups, then check out:-

• BackBlaze 0.005$/GB or something
    • wasabi 6.50$/TB
    • AWS S3 0.02$/GB with download 0.10$/GB
  • MilonMilon Member
    edited April 2019

@KuJoe said:
    That's similar to our plan but with half the RAM, people still ask for coupons even at $5.99/month so aim lower. :(

Why nobody provide plan with low mem&cpu, maybe without ipv4, but with 1TB? Only space for backups...

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited April 2019

@Milon said:

@KuJoe said:

Why nobody provide plan with low mem&cpu, maybe without ipv4, but with 1TB? Only space for backups...

hmmm do you perhaps mean something like the wishosting KVM NAT storage offer ?

I like that one especially with the occasional promo bonus bump to 1.8 TB ... :)

(For $6 the 1.8 TB deal I got a few months ago works out to $3.33 per TB. Which is nice.)

EDIT2:

Shared IPv4 (NAT) - but no IPv6

250 mbit, unmetered, in Germany.

1 GB RAM, 1 shared core

EDIT3:

As for OP's question ... for OpenVZ storage from an unknown provider ... mmmmm.

Maybe $3 - but only if the network is fast my man.

Thanked by 1Milon
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@KuJoe said:

I could imagine that some people even ask for coupons if the service is free...

Thanked by 2KuJoe Letzien
  • bountysite said: If this is about storage drives for backups, then check out:-

It sounded to me like OP was considering offering a storage product. My response was that it seems like a difficult market to enter unless you're already involved in hosting.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Milon said:

@KuJoe said:

We did that, it didn't sell.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • defaultdefault Veteran

$1/month - Debian