Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Brocade VDX 6470 switch opinion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Brocade VDX 6470 switch opinion

Hey guys! I am looking for affordable 2x TOR switches with 10Gbps SFP+ . I see that Brocade VDX 6470 can be had for a very good price (24 port version + stacking)... I know VDX line has been sold to Extreme Networks (and other HW manufactures are selling it under their "line" - Fujitsu, EMC...). I know that the new line is 6940, but the pricing is too high for us.

I am not looking forward to pay for the support (because it will cost more than switches) and I see that firmware version is a bit outdated - 5.0.2b. Is it worth or they are "too" old? I know some folks are reporting problems with getting new firmware without proper HW/Software support.... Thanks!

Comments

• Tr33nTr33n Member
    edited April 2019

I had a VDX 6720 in use, but replaced the switch after short time. I didn't like NOS and the outdated firmware made me headache, there are certainly some security holes. Additionally, there was a bug in SNMP, which permanently caused 100% CPU usage, i could not monitor the switch.

Apart from that, the switch has served its purpose. But I would still advise a switch that is not EOL and for which you get a current firmware at any time.

Thanked by 1bbn12
  • bbn12bbn12 Member

Thanks for your reply Tr33n. I see what you mean..... VDX 6470 is not EOL yet.

It's hard to pass on a brand new unit(s) @ $20 per 10Gbps port....

• bbn12bbn12 Member

..sorry, VDX 6740