Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any E-Mail Hosting for dummies?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any E-Mail Hosting for dummies?

NedTGNedTG Member
edited April 2019 in Help

Hey LET!

Long time lurker but decided I'd make an account as I wasn't able to find too much info online.

For the longest time I've been wanting to revamp our E-Mail Marketing, It's a mess of WordPress plugins and extensions that plug into MailChimp, Zoho, Gsuite and GetResponse, It was hastily set up and forgotten about and I think it's time we bring email marketing to the one place / Service - For just emails I'm looking at moving everything to Zoho - They work well and it's just a matter of moving a few domains away from Gsuite, For the marketing I'm not sure and would love some help!

I've looked into MailWizz and it looks like a pretty solid option, I'm going to be using a "SMTP Provider" with them instead of just PHPMail.

so far it looks like the best option is Amazon SES based on price - But that being said there's such a large discrepancy between them and something like SendGrid that makes me question my choice - Why is the jump so large and is there a catch to using SES?

I've also looked into PowerMTA & MailerQ - As I understand these are self-hosted?
What else is needed to go into this if I go with either of those services, I saw complaints that things like DKIM SPF rdns and IP reputation need to be monitored and done manually - Is this still the case? I like the idea of a one-off payment for something Like MailerQ but if it also means getting too technical then I'll need to hire someone or give it a pass.

TL;DR
Amazon SES vs Sendgrid - Why the big price gap?
PowerMTA & MailerQ - Pricy, Is it worth it? What else do I need to get it 100% setup

Thanks!

EDIT:
Now I've dun goofed and found even more things to overthink.

"Mass SMTP Hosting Providers"

I'm not sure if we're allowed to drop names of services but for the sake of not breaking a rule accidentally I've found a company offering "Bulk SMTP", Their mid plan is 2M/Month for about $200 which is an insane price considering they supposedly do all the setup and it's just a bit more than if I was to send 2M with SES and no attachments?

Comments

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

I may be of use to you, I don't know if you know him.

https://postmarkapp.com/pricing

• donlidonli Member

What's Email volume in and out per month do you use?

• @georgedatacenter said:

This is transactional like password reset only etc

• NedTGNedTG Member

@donli said:
    What's Email volume in and out per month do you use?

Last month it was just under 200k out not including things like password resets/activation emails but they're not a huge dent, Not sure on the incoming will need to check and follow up.

• NedTGNedTG Member

@georgedatacenter said:

@SirFoxy said:

@georgedatacenter said:

This is transactional like password reset only etc

Doesn't look too bad, They do have SMTP but it still falls on that SES vs Sendgrid loop I'm in

• I've used both Sendgrid and SES extensively for both marketing and transactional emails and SES always had better deliverability.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@austenite said:
    I've used both Sendgrid and SES extensively for both marketing and transactional emails and SES always had better deliverability.

I always found SES pretty slow, mail to Gmail being delivered in the vicinity of 5 minutes (via API).
    Doesn't matter for marketing mail, it does matter a lot with stuff like password resets.

SendGrid is what I'm currently on and I'm seeing tens of seconds of delay max.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I have it set up to send using SMTP and haven't noticed any slowdown (not to say it isn't happening) but will certainly keep an eye out for that.

• NedTGNedTG Member
    edited April 2019

@austenite said:
    I've used both Sendgrid and SES extensively for both marketing and transactional emails and SES always had better deliverability.

@FHR said:

@austenite said:

I always found SES pretty slow, mail to Gmail being delivered in the vicinity of 5 minutes (via API).
    Doesn't matter for marketing mail, it does matter a lot with stuff like password resets.

SendGrid is what I'm currently on and I'm seeing tens of seconds of delay max.

Sounds like SES for marketing & postmark for transactional is looking pretty good for my needs, thanks for all the input!

Does anyone know why it's such a large jump between SES and Sendgrid/Mailgun/Anything else?

Is it a market position thing - Enough resources to be able to offer it so low or am I missing something, Even with my estimates at a very high amount the Amazon calculator is still nearly 40% cheaper

• It's certainly a we have a giant IP space and market position thing, although they will kick you off quick if you don't keep your list clean.

• I use SES for transactional but would love to hear your thoughts on postmark in a few months after some real world usage.

I would imagine postmark will offer better deliverability than any other provider for transactional, don't really do bulk mail so can't comment unfortunately.