Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 16 on a OpenVZ VPS with low kernel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 16 on a OpenVZ VPS with low kernel?

Hey guys, recently I ordered a VPS from n3 with ubuntu 16.04.
I got into the terminal and done a apt update and upgrade and immediately I got a prompt saying that the kernel was too low for some C libraries or something.

uname command said the kernel was 2.6 and something.

I didn't bother and proceeded to install a simple minecraft bedrock server, which is as straightforward as it gets in Linux: unpack and run the file.

However, many issues came up immediately and I soon noticed that all those issues were related to the kernel and libm.so.6, glib etc. I learned that OpenVZ VPSs doesn't allow for updating the kernel too, so should I understand that this kind of VPS is limited to older software that run on older (and probably less safe) kernels?

Before getting a cheap VPS, how can I be sure that the provider uses a recent kernel?

For instance, I've already used Liteserver and Scaleway's VPSs, and I never had a prompt of outdated kernel, but these are a bit more expensive.

Comments

• Just ignore the libc warning, you can do a complete userland upgrade with OpenVZ 6 as long as they've got a recent kernel build of 2.6.32-stab13x or so.

Don't try to dist-upgrade; you'll kill it and have to start over.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited April 2019

And I don't think there are many providers running OpenVZ 6 on any newer kernel. OpenVZ 6 is designed to be living on 2.6.32 for its whole life.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@popogama said: For instance, I've already used Liteserver and Scaleway's VPSs, and I never had a prompt of outdated kernel, but these are a bit more expensive.

An unmodified, up-to-date OpenVZ-6 setup will be the same everywhere with respect to the kernel used.

• donlidonli Member

@popogama said:

Before getting a cheap VPS, how can I be sure that the provider uses a recent kernel?

Get a cheap KVM VPS.

• Thanks everyone for the information and insights. I know very little of the backend tech behind VPSs.

msg7086 said: And I don't think there are many providers running OpenVZ 6 on any newer kernel. OpenVZ 6 is designed to be living on 2.6.32 for its whole life.

So should I see these VPSs as lower tier? In a way they're not meant for more modern software etc?

Letzien said: Just ignore the libc warning, you can do a complete userland upgrade with OpenVZ 6 as long as they've got a recent kernel build of 2.6.32-stab13x or so.

So, take my example, the software I was trying to run gave tons of errors as mentioned. In theory there should be a way to fix them regardless of the kernel? Where should I learn more? I googled it but most of the ideas didn't work. Thanks.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

popogama said: So should I see these VPSs as lower tier? In a way they're not meant for more modern software etc?

Anyone doing OpenVZ at the moment should already be offering OpenVZ 7, or disclosed their plans to deal with the impeding EOL of OpenVZ 6.

You should talk to your host and find out what their plan is.

Francisco

• popogama said: So, take my example, the software I was trying to run gave tons of errors as mentioned. In theory there should be a way to fix them regardless of the kernel? Where should I learn more? I googled it but most of the ideas didn't work. Thanks.

Depends. I'd run ldd on the binary and check for compatible libraries for your distribution; it may very well not be designed for that userland at all.

• @popogama said:
    Thanks everyone for the information and insights. I know very little of the backend tech behind VPSs.

msg7086 said: And I don't think there are many providers running OpenVZ 6 on any newer kernel. OpenVZ 6 is designed to be living on 2.6.32 for its whole life.

So should I see these VPSs as lower tier? In a way they're not meant for more modern software etc?

In the way they're not meant for more modern software -- that's correct. However it's cheaper to run and sell from provider's POV, and I guess that's why you bought it. KVM provides full flexibility but it's slightly more expensive.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2019

@popogama said: So should I see these VPSs as lower tier? In a way they're not meant for more modern software etc?

In April 2019, OpenVZ 6 can certainly be considered lower tier. You should look for OpenVZ 7. (Surprisingly, though, most providers still don't make explicit on their sites which version they are running, from which I conclude that they're still running OpenVZ 6.)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

@OP you could choose a provider which provides Ubuntu 18.04 from the begining.

Greeting

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I really wish people would pay even the slightest attention to what they are buying before they buy it beyond the price tag.