Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ssdnodes lowest price for 1 year ever - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ssdnodes lowest price for 1 year ever

2»

Comments

• $80/mo for 16GB ram, 4 vCPU (threads) and 80GB SSD?

Cool, cool

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@desperand said: $80/mo for 16GB ram, 4 vCPU (threads) and 80GB SSD?

Cool, cool

Well, at least the promotional price is pretty good. :smile:

• hzrhzr Member

I love the inflated MSRP, reminds me of real life retail.

• angstrom said: Well, at least the promotional price is pretty good.

Agree. But writing "You Save 860$" is idiotic.
    Yes, a customer might save with the offer up to $100-$120-$140, or if compare to a little bigger provider up to $200 annually. But not $860...

• I tested 1 year their service, they used very good machines and incero network is fine, but of course is false all the benchmark and others.

Its like drive a maserati with 300 or more people. Better to drive a small car with only 4. :)

Their refund policy is very bad, and if they renew the service without any advice, they dont like to refund later.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

@optisoft said:
    I tested 1 year their service, they used very good machines and incero network is fine, but of course is false all the benchmark and others.

Its like drive a maserati with 300 or more people. Better to drive a small car with only 4. :)

Their refund policy is very bad, and if they renew the service without any advice, they dont like to refund later.

It's your responsibility to manage the subscription/billing agreement that you've made with them. If you are mis-charged, they are entitled to keep it as account credits due to the fact that it's your fault for your poor management on things you opt for and especially they have 2 options during checkout (onetime and recurring). You can't just give people money on your own will then ask them to give you back after some time, that's not how things work.

Especially now that Paypal doesn't refund transaction fee anymore, providers wouldn't be able to do full refund all the time.

• mattsmatts Member

@optisoft said:
    I tested 1 year their service, they used very good machines and incero network is fine, but of course is false all the benchmark and others.

That was not my experience with performance; my serverscope.io benchmarks aligned with those they posted publicly and my monitoring with nginx Amplify didn't indicate any more CPU steal or concerning slowdowns compared to other providers.

I'm not here to defend SSD Nodes because I'm not sure I'd ultimately recommend them, but I've not found their benchmarks to be misleading.

The refund policy is also clearly stated and they upheld it straightforwardly with me.

• Weird that an unmanaged vps provider forces you onto a particular filesystem.

Can other users corroborate?

• @greattomeetyou said:

scooke said: I used to put in a good word for this company often. Then, one day, they 'upgraded' their servers without notice, and suddenly my installation of cloudron.io wouldn't work anymore. Help was actually quite prompt, but they never seemed to really understand what my issue was. Turns out they switched all their VPSs to XFS. The constant miscomprehension from the Help basically meant I had to do loads of reading online about Docker running of various FSs. I found out that Docker is able to run on this FS, but there are some issues. Since I had prepaid I decided to reinstall (which was only possible by commenting out the ext4 check in the cloudron installation script), and while it runs, there are always crashes, and apps running out of memory, even though the VPS has 16GB of ram. When I got frustrated and asked for a refund since this unannounced change crippled my usage, they refused, stating that their refund policy is to never give refunds. They seemed to escalate the refund request to higher ups, but I'm not so sure since the replies were always the same. I even reached out to Matt, who signs all the advertising emails I get from SSDnodes as though he personally sends them to me, but for some reason he couldn't respond to this customer. So, I guess if your use-case differs from mine, and your apps don't have a specific FS requirement, or matches the XFS that SSDNodes uses, then I guess it will work for you. *And yes, the need to open a ticket for various things does get tiring, even something like opening a Console to access your VPS from their Dashboard.

What OS were you using when you were having issues?
    Did you get it working with Docker later?
    Thanks.

I was using Ubuntu 16.04. I had to comment out the cloudron.io install check for ext4, and then cloudron.io installed. But it has never run as stable as before the 'upgrade', even with the 16GB of ram. Containers just fail all the time for no discernable reason. I tried to convert the fs to ext4 but it wouldn't work. Docker 'works' in that cloudron.io could install and runs with lots of maintenance. But I haven't personally used just Docker on these VPSs.

• @vimalware said:
    Weird that an unmanaged vps provider forces you onto a particular filesystem.

Help Chat

• @scooke said:

@vimalware said:

Help Chat

Just means you need to reinstall the OS from a net install. So long as the VNC console works, the user can do that.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @TimboJones said:

@scooke said:

@vimalware said:

Help Chat

Just means you need to reinstall the OS from a net install. So long as the VNC console works, the user can do that.

Tried it, wouldn't work. Their VPS ares stuck on XFS.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@scooke said:

@TimboJones said:

@scooke said:

@vimalware said:

Help Chat

You mean that you tried to install from an ISO?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @scooke said:

Boot off any Debian ISO; you'll be able to use your choice of filesystem.

It's only their pre-made templates that are 'forced' onto XFS. (presumably)

• @feezioxiii said:

@optisoft said:

It's your responsibility to manage the subscription/billing agreement that you've made with them. If you are mis-charged, they are entitled to keep it as account credits due to the fact that it's your fault for your poor management on things you opt for and especially they have 2 options during checkout (onetime and recurring). You can't just give people money on your own will then ask them to give you back after some time, that's not how things work.

Especially now that Paypal doesn't refund transaction fee anymore, providers wouldn't be able to do full refund all the time.

Without any advice, any invoice or something and one day before the real first term, its no so nice way to do business.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

@optisoft said:

@feezioxiii said:

@optisoft said:

Without any advice, any invoice or something and one day before the real first term, its no so nice way to do business.

If they use Billing Agreement module (not sure), it will complete the invoice as soon as it's generated, this should already be mentioned on your agreement when you agreed on Paypal page (iirc).

If you used subscription, then there should be some invoice notice prior to the due date, as payment will be made on the due date, not the date invoice generated. (You can check email history for more info).

Either way, you are the one that consented to be charged like that, and you should put up cancellation request when you don't want to renew the service, it's common sense. If you used an EU service like netcup or leaseweb and just leave it expires without requesting for a service cancellation, be prepared to have debt collector on your door in a few weeks.

• @scooke said:

@TimboJones said:

@scooke said:

@vimalware said:

Help Chat

How did it not work? All they did was standardize on a template for easier management, there's nothing stopping you from reinstalling what you want, unless you're doing something wrong. Let us know where you got stuck.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @feezioxiii said:

@optisoft said:

@feezioxiii said:

@optisoft said:

If they use Billing Agreement module (not sure), it will complete the invoice as soon as it's generated, this should already be mentioned on your agreement when you agreed on Paypal page (iirc).

If you used subscription, then there should be some invoice notice prior to the due date, as payment will be made on the due date, not the date invoice generated. (You can check email history for more info).

Either way, you are the one that consented to be charged like that, and you should put up cancellation request when you don't want to renew the service, it's common sense. If you used an EU service like netcup or leaseweb and just leave it expires without requesting for a service cancellation, be prepared to have debt collector on your door in a few weeks.

They never sent any prior advice, any invoice ( before or after the the automatic payment ) , so so so extrange. But a lot of emails from Matt with his crazy sentences.

Maybe only me , i dont know.

Important is that i never have downtime during my year of testing, but is impossible to get their benchmarks , impossible.

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2019

@TimboJones said:

@scooke said:

@TimboJones said:

@scooke said:

@vimalware said:

Help Chat

How did it not work? All they did was standardize on a template for easier management, there's nothing stopping you from reinstalling what you want, unless you're doing something wrong. Let us know where you got stuck.

this will only work, if their control panel has functionality for that or if their support sets you up with a mounted ISO and a vnc console to do so.

from some of the comments above it pretty much sounded, that the former isn't available at all and the snippet from the ticket makes me think the latter also would be a problem. otherwise one would expect the support guy to offer that straightaway, right?

• @Falzo said:

@TimboJones said:

@scooke said:

@TimboJones said:

@scooke said:

@vimalware said:

Help Chat

this will only work, if their control panel has functionality for that or if their support sets you up with a mounted ISO and a vnc console to do so.

from some of the comments above it pretty much sounded, that the former isn't available at all and the snippet from the ticket makes me think the latter also would be a problem. otherwise one would expect the support guy to offer that straightaway, right?

Like I said, just need a console and do a net install. No ISO mounting needed. Netboot.xyz.

If your provider doesn't offer a console, you're doing it wrong.

• SSD Nodes is Fraud and Scam

I have personally tested them and inform you not to buy or test servers from SSDNodes. They are money hunger and sell servers from other providers. Servers are poor and support is nil. You will end up losing your all money and time.

Go with Hetzner, Online.net or contabo for a better performance.

I personally wrote about in my blog.