Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone got a 8gb or 16gb ram dedicated server for rent? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone got a 8gb or 16gb ram dedicated server for rent?

2»

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

@Daniel: I'm mostly saying that in The Old Days, the choice between Celeron vs Pentium III vs Xeon made a difference... nowadays, there's not that big of a gap in terms of real-world performance. Mostly things like "ooh, bigger L3 cache!" and "ooh, tested to run at 100% utilization!". A key difference in modern times is that server processors are designed and certified for use in multi-processor systems, while desktop processors are not.

Google "difference between desktop processor and server processor" and spend all day reading for yourself :)

• @Damian said: Google "difference between desktop processor and server processor" and spend all day reading for yourself :)

I know the difference, for Intel processors (eg Core and Xeon), but not for AMD.

• @Daniel said: OpenVZ isn't really Virtualization.

Saying that since the processor offers VT which is for hardware virtualization, it should be good enough for server-grade use. Didn't really mean to imply it is to help OpenVZ; in-case if anyone else wants to infer that from my post.

• @AsuraHosting said: Saying that since the processor offers VT which is for hardware virtualization, it should be good enough for server-grade use. Didn't really mean to imply it is to help OpenVZ; in-case if anyone else wants to infer that from my post.

Fair enough, thanks :)

• @daniel:

Sempron & Athlon X2 = core i3
    Phenom & Phenom II = core i5
    FX-series = core i7
    Opteron = Xeon
    Opteron HE = Xeon L series

Thanked by 1MrAndroid
  • @Damian said: Sempron & Athlon X2 = core i3

Phenom & Phenom II = core i5
    FX-series = core i7
    Opteron = Xeon
    Opteron HE = Xeon L series

Thanks! That makes so much sense now.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

The separation between server and desktop cpu became really thin. I remember I used some amd 64 with hetzner with xen to host some clients that wanted DE presence. Then I see that I7 (and I5) are used as servers these days... my I7 laptop can outperform most of the servers I used little time ago (and in some case still use) :)

• @sturdyvps said: @VMPort - these guys are cheap, have you used them at all?

I got one server running with them for about 9 months, no downtime. ( So never used support )

• @titanicsaled I could offer you a dedi with BurstNET for: $80/Month which is: 51 Pounds. 4GB Ram, 1TB HDD, Core2Quad Q9300 QUAD CORE 2.5GHZ, 5TB Bandwidth

• @AsuraHosting said: But it should definitely be good because of AMD's VT option in the BIOS which allows Virtualization Optimization.

not really, i'm running KVM on AMD E450 laptop. looks bad while running 3 VMs on it. :P

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited February 2012

@Mon5t3r said: AMD E450

There's a big difference when you're talking about a high-end desktop processor and a netbook processor.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey Lol! You serious? Self promoting + reselling..

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited February 2012

@AsuraHosting
    hahaha absolutely,, that was my sarcasm comment for intel developer.. :P

• @Infinity, How am I self promoting when I never shared a link or mentioned my host? All I mentioned was the price and BurstNET..

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said: I could offer

• DataShack, Kimsufi, Hetzner, VolumeDrive...

• anyway to buy kimsufi for people outside of kimsufi supported countries?

• Thanks for the great advice guys, this is why I still really like LET.

I have decided to go with an offer that Damian from ipxcore PM'ed me for a high end vps and so far it is working really well.

• inverseinverse Member
    edited February 2012

@cosmicgate

anyway to buy kimsufi for people outside of kimsufi supported countries?

Through a Reseller?

• yeah but most of those resellers require you to have an OVH account, which is impossible to sign up outside of their supported country, unless i use a vpn.