Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Special Offers: 2 vCPUs, 4 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD: 3.33 EUR | 4 vCPUs, 8 GB RAM, 200 GB HDD: 6.66 EUR - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Special Offers: 2 vCPUs, 4 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD: 3.33 EUR | 4 vCPUs, 8 GB RAM, 200 GB HDD: 6.66 EUR

Comments

• @Falzo said:

@mrysbekov said:

I'm rebooting the servers via their "BK Manager v2" management console. I use "Force immediate execution" option. I actually see part of the boot process in NoVNC console, I can choose the boot option in Grub, but when the kernel actually starts loading, everything just hangs after "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok" line. I've been looking at this line for the past 20 minutes for both servers, and the last comment I got from support was "The boot process just take a little longer. There are no known issues on our node and the load is ok."

yeah, I can see that part as well, the "Probing EDD" line stays a few seconds and then it switches towards a black screen in the console, another few seconds and then the login prompt appears. eventually you want to refresh the console for the last step but however, is it gets stuck earlier I agree something is off.

but I think we are missing something here. the boot menu is available, so the system finds the disks/mbr etc.
    afaik the EDD message is kernel related. did you change something in grub or use a specific yum repo or self compiled kernel?

I installed centos from their template, run yum update and rebooted quit some time via control panel (immediate reboot). still can't replicate that issue...

I've just replicated the issue with these steps:

1) Re-installed the server using CENTOS-7 template.
    2) Ran "yum update" inside the server.
    3) Executed "reboot" command inside the server.

In NoVNC console I saw GRUB, and let it chose the default boot option automatically. It then hanged after the "Probing EDD" line again.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@mrysbekov said:

I've just replicated the issue with these steps:

1) Re-installed the server using CENTOS-7 template.
    2) Ran "yum update" inside the server.
    3) Executed "reboot" command inside the server.

that's what I tried as well, no issues here... sorry, running out of ideas.

• Apparently, the issue had something to do with particular hosts on which the VPSs were running. Support moved them to other hosts, and the issue was resolved.

Thanked by 3Falzo vimalware caracal
  • @angstrom said:

@twhstr said:
    It doesn't look like I can load a custom ISO from anywhere in the panel though?

You can open a ticket and request a custom ISO. In this case, you may want to explain to them that this is the "traditional installer" for Ubuntu Server 18.04. On this page,

It's now available as "Ubuntu 18.04.2" from the boot image menu, I'd put in a ticket for that and they responded :smile:

Thanked by 2angstrom Falzo
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@ashkulz said:

@angstrom said:

@twhstr said:
    It doesn't look like I can load a custom ISO from anywhere in the panel though?

You can open a ticket and request a custom ISO. In this case, you may want to explain to them that this is the "traditional installer" for Ubuntu Server 18.04. On this page,

It's now available as "Ubuntu 18.04.2" from the boot image menu, I'd put in a ticket for that and they responded :smile:

I much prefer the traditional installer, which is basically the Debian installer. :smile:

Ubuntu's new standard installer -- which is what they want you to use -- is prettier but thinks that it knows what you want, making decisions for you. :neutral:

Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited May 2019

@UltraVPS said:
    But you can install your server manually and place / on /dev/vdb. We have just >published an article for Debian 9 in our KB:

http://kb.ultravps.eu/kvm-cloud-server/installation/index.html#manual-installation-of-linux-distributions-general-guide

Other distributions (CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 18.04) will follow soon.

Finally guys!! Great work. Please continue with the articles on your KB. As you may see on LET and other forums, the 2 disks setup is a keeping away a lot of clients. And maybe causing many tickets for your team to respond (waste time).

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • How to sign up if I have existing service already? Did not see like client area

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@cybertech said:
    How to sign up if I have existing service already? Did not see like client area

Just order with the same mail address and data, matches automagically. If in doubt add your customer no to the comment field ;-)

Thanked by 2cybertech uptime
  • @Falzo said:

@cybertech said:

Just order with the same mail address and data, matches automagically. If in doubt add your customer no to the comment field ;-)

How's ams, good?

• @cybertech said:

@Falzo said:

@cybertech said:

How's ams, good?

Mines running well in Amsterdam :smile:

Thanked by 2cybertech mtsbatalha
  • Every night I go to sleep, after telling myself I will be able to resist ordering one, after I get a full 8hrs sleep.

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • uxtvdluxtvdl Member

do you accep bitcoin and are these DMCA ignored ?

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

@cybertech said:
    How's ams, good?

I'm on an 8 GB in Amsterdam for a few days now

exercised the disk a bit when I first got it (sequential write, 256 MB every 10 minutes over 24 hours) - pretty stable around 400 MB/s (max 417 MB/s, 95% of the samples were above 374 MB/s. The 5 lowest speeds measured were 372 MB/s, 362 MB/s, 338 MB/s, 314 MB/s, and 271 MB/s )

haven't bothered to bench anything else

cpu is an E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz

network looks generally okay - pretty good for many locations in Europe - less impressive but mostly acceptable for USA.

Tested transfering an approximately 900 MB file

55 MB/s to Liteserver Amsterdam
    45 MB/s to CrownCloud Frankfurt
    37 MB/s to Inception London
    31 MB/s to Wishosting France (capped at 250 mbits)
     6 MB/s to AlphaVPS Sofia (hmmm ...)

16 MB/s to BuyVM NYC
    11 MB/s to BuyVM Las Vegas
    10 MB/s to LaunchVPS Philadelphia
     7 MB/s to SpeedyKVM Dallas
     6 MB/s to Virmach San Jose
     6 MB/s to SubnetLabs Seattle

There (surprisingly) seems to be a problem with routes to Los Angeles at the moment.

(I'll open a ticket about that and see how that goes.)

for example - not great speed writing to Letbox LA (4 MB/s)

but better reading that same file from Letbox LA (13 MB/s)

@uxtvdl said: and are these DMCA ignored ?

Hmm, an upright German provider ...

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Have place an order on ams few hours ago.. still waiting for the server activation...

How long does usually the VPS activation take time?
    Thanks

• uxtvdluxtvdl Member

@angstrom said:

@uxtvdl said: and are these DMCA ignored ?

Hmm, an upright German provider ...

german laws are too strict as far as i know

• FalzoFalzo Member

today is public holiday in germany. as already mentioned they usually review orders manually from what I know...
    while I never needed to wait really long for provisioning after payment, it might happen that you'll have to wait till tomorrow morning (german time) though

@Wira_Soenaryo said:
    Have place an order on ams few hours ago.. still waiting for the server activation...

How long does usually the VPS activation take time?
    Thanks

It's May 1st!

• Ok joined in the fun hope it's a v2

Thanked by 2Falzo uptime
  • goingtosleepgoingtosleep Member
    edited May 2019

I have 2 questions:

1. I did not tick the option "auto-renew" when paying with PayPal. Now I do not see any options regarding auto-renew in control panel (BK Manager). How can I activate auto-renewing?

2. I bought the 3-month contract term server, so what will the price be after 3 months?

Thank you in advance.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited May 2019

just got mine built in nl-ams1. its a V2. everything nice. very good performance for a "HDD". so responsive. network is strong. good price. very love. so happy.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12988024

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@cybertech said:
    just got mine built in nl-ams1. its a V2. everything nice. very good performance for a "HDD". so responsive. network is strong. good price. very love. so happy.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12988024

Now turn it off, hurry!

• I have a Contabo VPS S SSD. Do you think it's wort to change to this offer ? Will the performance be worse with SAS? Thanks for your feedback.

• @danielcardosopt said:
    I have a Contabo VPS S SSD. Do you think it's wort to change to this offer ? Will the performance be worse with SAS? Thanks for your feedback.

In my opinion - Yes change. Its a great VPS, but I'm sure others more in the know might best advise :)

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@danielcardosopt said:
    I have a Contabo VPS S SSD. Do you think it's wort to change to this offer ? Will the performance be worse with SAS? Thanks for your feedback.

Same here.. But the VPS running well so far hosting a busy website, no complaints. So..

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • Also got mine yesterday... Pretty decent VPS, just take note its Ubuntu 16.04 seems running unattended upgrade on reinstall and seems hang at the process. Have to do a little fix in it.
    Thanks.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited May 2019

@danielcardosopt said:

this SAS special has better disk performance than the vps M SSD that i had. and better network / bandwidth for my use case. so probably CPU wise the SAS-2 would be better than the S, for very slightly more if u outside of EU.

in my current set up the SAS-1 did not perform any worse than any other "SSD VPS" , and on site tests it works as fast, if not faster.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

following up on a few "issues" with my previous report ...

1) should note that I've been doing the crude sequential write speed test with LVM on top of LUKS encryption, not the raw partition. So if 400 MB/s is for whatever reason not quite fast enough for your expectations, be aware that it's possibly a bit better than that. There are also a few configuration tweaks (deadline queue scheduler and "noatime" mount flag) that may further improve filesystem performance (though I haven't noticed that make much difference for this particular Debian 9 installation in brief tests so far).

2) more important, with regard to the problem I was having with transfer speeds from Amsterdam to Los Angeles. Support responded to my ticket within minutes with a request for mtr report to and from the Los Angeles locations. I provided these, along with a note that this was not an urgent issue for me and furthermore I had observed a similar issue with other VPS instances from a few other providers' Amsterdam locations - so it would be fine with me to put the ticket "on hold" and see if the problem persisted. I was pleasantly surprised to get a followup a day later asking if I was still seeing the slow transfer speeds, and requesting fresh mtr reports if I was. UltraVPS support then checked to confirm reasonable routes were in fact in place to and from Psychz LA, Quadranet LA, and Colocrossing LA.

The solution turned out to be switching to BBR flow control on my end :blush:

Added to /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.core.default_qdisc=fq
    net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=bbr

Then ran:

sysctl --system

(Alternatively, could just reboot)

And was off to the races.

Now seeing at least 6 MB/s transfer speed from UltraVPS Amsterdam to Psychz LA and Quadranet LA, and (again, surprisingly) better than 8 MB/s to Colocrossing LA.

(Might also note I'm transferring files via scp, if that makes any difference).

Pretty happy with the UltraVPS Amsterdam experience so far (as I have been in the past with their Los Angeles location)

@uptime said:

@cybertech said:
    How's ams, good?

I'm on an 8 GB in Amsterdam for a few days now

exercised the disk a bit when I first got it (sequential write, 256 MB every 10 minutes over 24 hours) - pretty stable around 400 MB/s (max 417 MB/s, 95% of the samples were above 374 MB/s. The 5 lowest speeds measured were 372 MB/s, 362 MB/s, 338 MB/s, 314 MB/s, and 271 MB/s )

haven't bothered to bench anything else

cpu is an E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz

network looks generally okay - pretty good for many locations in Europe - less impressive but mostly acceptable for USA.

Tested transfering an approximately 900 MB file

55 MB/s to Liteserver Amsterdam
    45 MB/s to CrownCloud Frankfurt
    37 MB/s to Inception London
    31 MB/s to Wishosting France (capped at 250 mbits)
     6 MB/s to AlphaVPS Sofia (hmmm ...)

16 MB/s to BuyVM NYC
    11 MB/s to BuyVM Las Vegas
    10 MB/s to LaunchVPS Philadelphia
     7 MB/s to SpeedyKVM Dallas
     6 MB/s to Virmach San Jose
     6 MB/s to SubnetLabs Seattle

There (surprisingly) seems to be a problem with routes to Los Angeles at the moment.

(I'll open a ticket about that and see how that goes.)

for example - not great speed writing to Letbox LA (4 MB/s)

but better reading that same file from Letbox LA (13 MB/s)

• @uptime said: Added to /etc/sysctl.conf

If you're up for some experimenting, I'm sure there are some additional tweaks you can test out for:

net.core.rmem_max
    net.core.wmem_max

and also

net.ipv4.tcp_rmem
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem

YMMV.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • MilonMilon Member

Is it possible to get and pay first invoice by BitPay? Thanks