Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel/WHM Reseller accounts - what do you actually want? [market research] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel/WHM Reseller accounts - what do you actually want? [market research]

2»

Comments

• @AnthonySmith HostMantis sells reseller plans like 300% CPU, 6GB RAM, but that is limited to only 1st reseller (base) account. If reseller creates 2nd cpanel account, their Shared Hosting limits kick in.. like 1 CPU, 1GB RAM per cpanel account. For my buyshared and ramnode, both reseller and all their sub-cpanel accounts have same limits.. 1 cpu, 1gb ram, 25MB/s i/o, 1024 iops/7000 iops, 500,000 indoes/unlimited inodes, respectively.

Regarding 30 cpanel accounts using 30 CPU cores is almost impossible in reality because all those sites are mainly static/php site, some are WP with plugins, which don't even consume more than 40% all the time. It's quite rare from what I've seen reviewing my clients accounts. And if there's such cpanel account which always hits 100% CPU 24 hours a day, we can ask them to more to VPS or dedi.

Now buyshared does has 100s of resellers, and 1000s of cpanel accounts, but I've never seen CPU kicks beyond 27 on (32 core) that too only when daily backups are generated. Most of the day and night time CPU max load is 15-17. that is half of what the node has.

What actually reseller needs is RAM burst/swap in case it hits 1GB ram while using wp plugins, cron jobs by them. But i dont think that's possible in LVE.

Godaddy had old reseller hosting plans like 5GB CPU, 5GB RAM (for whole reseller plus all sub-cpanel accounts), and they used to give VPS for this and reseller could slice it and resale cpanel shared accounts. But they shut that down soon, as I think only 5 cpanel accounts could have accommodated in that plan as @Ympker gave the example (as against minimum industry standard of 1CPU, 1GB RAM per cpanel account).

Secondly, if a web host sets limits on Reseller hosting plan itself like 5CPU, 5GB RAM, and I've the potential to sale 50-100 plans a year, I would rather sign up as an affiliate and sale that particular web host's shared hosting plans which have 1CPU, 1GB ram standard limit. That will keep me happy, and my clients happy too!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • fiendfiend Member

humm i would say pick one, restrict per reseller or restrict per account, if you restrict per reseller it might be good because you can have 1 or 2 accounts with much larger per account limits, and you leave it to the reseller to manage how many accounts he can have reliably...

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2019

@Sofia_K said:
    @AnthonySmith HostMantis sells reseller plans like 300% CPU, 6GB RAM, but that is limited to only 1st reseller (base) account. If reseller creates 2nd cpanel account, their Shared Hosting limits kick in.. like 1 CPU, 1GB RAM per cpanel account. For my buyshared and ramnode, both reseller and all their sub-cpanel accounts have same limits.. 1 cpu, 1gb ram, 25MB/s i/o, 1024 iops/7000 iops, 500,000 indoes/unlimited inodes, respectively.

Regarding 30 cpanel accounts using 30 CPU cores is almost impossible in reality because all those sites are mainly static/php site, some are WP with plugins, which don't even consume more than 40% all the time. It's quite rare from what I've seen reviewing my clients accounts. And if there's such cpanel account which always hits 100% CPU 24 hours a day, we can ask them to more to VPS or dedi.

Now buyshared does has 100s of resellers, and 1000s of cpanel accounts, but I've never seen CPU kicks beyond 27 on (32 core) that too only when daily backups are generated. Most of the day and night time CPU max load is 15-17. that is half of what the node has.

What actually reseller needs is RAM burst/swap in case it hits 1GB ram while using wp plugins, cron jobs by them. But i dont think that's possible in LVE.

Godaddy had old reseller hosting plans like 5GB CPU, 5GB RAM (for whole reseller plus all sub-cpanel accounts), and they used to give VPS for this and reseller could slice it and resale cpanel shared accounts. But they shut that down soon, as I think only 5 cpanel accounts could have accommodated in that plan as @Ympker gave the example (as against minimum industry standard of 1CPU, 1GB RAM per cpanel account).

Secondly, if a web host sets limits on Reseller hosting plan itself like 5CPU, 5GB RAM, and I've the potential to sale 50-100 plans a year, I would rather sign up as an affiliate and sale that particular web host's shared hosting plans which have 1CPU, 1GB ram standard limit. That will keep me happy, and my clients happy too!

I believe the Hostmantis limits in my spreadsheet (in my sig) are correct for reseller, aren't they? Because the limits you state 1cpu,1gb ram, 25 MB/s differ a bit from mine.

Afaik the limits for each cPanel account created on the reseller (other than the actual reseller cpanel main account) have the following LVE limits:

Entry

CPU = 75%

RAM = 3 GB

Entry Processes = 30

I/O = 30 MB/sec

Inodes = 300000

• Reseller amounts listed are for the resellers main account only. All sub accounts created by the reseller receives the default limit equal to our Entry hosting plan.

This is directly taken from: https://my.hostmantis.com/knowledgebase/260/System-Resources.html

Atleast this is what it shows when I create a cPanel Account:

@AnthonySmith The limits you see apply per cPanel Account I create on my reseller. You see, without an overall limit I could create 100 cPanel Accounts like that (which could worst case scenario all in the same moment spike at 3GB RAM adding up to 300 GB RAM usage. Obviously not gonna happen, just wanted to give this example once more).

• I would do limits per cPanel account. You can offer more to the main reseller account which could be useful if you were offering WHMCS as a free or subsidised product addon.

Most reseller plans are standard 1 core, 1GB ram, IOP tends to be standard 1024. It’s the disk speed that tends to differ. Generally it’s around 5MB/s even with SSD but HostMantis offer 30MB/s. I doubt most of there accounts on there servers ever hit 30 or even CPU but with Wordpress plugins etc will probably hit 1GB RAM first.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I guess I need to look in to how CL manages things with resellers a bit further and reach out to them for clarification, I am starting to see the light in terms of per account rather than per reseller.

the issue though is if a reseller created a client with unlimited add-on domains, and that client uses that account to create 1000 sites etc etc, but I guess I should follow my own long standing rule of "dont let what the minority 'might' do stop you from doing anything" :smiley:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I guess I need to look in to how CL manages things with resellers a bit further and reach out to them for clarification, I am starting to see the light in terms of per account rather than per reseller.

the issue though is if a reseller created a client with unlimited add-on domains, and that client uses that account to create 1000 sites etc etc, but I guess I should follow my own long standing rule of "dont let what the minority 'might' do stop you from doing anything" :smiley:

Actually your scenario wouldn't be much of a problem at all.

"if a reseller created a client". Let me stop you right there. If he created a client, that is to say a cPanel Account (assuming he offers shared hosting), that cPanel Account/Client would still be restricted by the LVE limits 1Core/1GB RAM. Sure if he has 1000 sites these resources may be maxed out 24/7, but that will be one of a few cases like that. And given that he can't escape his boundaries 1Core/1GB set via CL/LVE there is not too much to worry about. It's just one user actually using the resources he has been assigned to the fullest.

• I forgot these in my OG post, so I'll 2nd the others who mentioned:

• LiteSpeed
    • Auto SSL

Ive had one reseller account over 10 years... All because he had live chat.

Lastly, mailchannels or equivalent would be great but not a deal breaker. But I would pay more..

• @Ympker said:

I believe the Hostmantis limits in my spreadsheet (in my sig) are correct for reseller, aren't they? Because the limits you state 1cpu,1gb ram, 25 MB/s differ a bit from mine.

That limits i mentioned about Buyshared and ramnode. Read the line previous to it in my post :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Sofia_K said:

@Ympker said:

That limits i mentioned about Buyshared and ramnode. Read the line previous to it in my post :)

They aren't accurate anymore either :P We're in the midst of a refresh on that.

But, I'll stop shitting in Anthony's thread.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Ympker Sofia_K
  • @Sofia_K said:

@Ympker said:

My bad lol sry :P

• @Francisco said:

@Sofia_K said:

@Ympker said:

They aren't accurate anymore either :P We're in the midst of a refresh on that.

Francisco

Can you ping me once you updated them?

Thanked by 1Sofia_K

Francisco said: They aren't accurate anymore either :P We're in the midst of a refresh on that.

Francisco

hey if its good feedback for everyone go for it :)

edited April 2019

@Waldo19 said:
    I forgot these in my OG post, so I'll 2nd the others who mentioned:

• LiteSpeed
    • Auto SSL

Ive had one reseller account over 10 years... All because he had live chat.

Lastly, mailchannels or equivalent would be great but not a deal breaker. But I would pay more..

I used to have livechat, its a nightmare, people just want to talk to you about their day most of the time, that said I have a managed tier which gets skype and 24x7 telephone support anyway and its really not that expensive for business users at only €22.50 p/month as an add-on.

Offering real time on demand support for €2 p/month is a route to failure imo :)

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said: Offering real time on demand support for €2 p/month is a route to failure imo

I think this is where a discord server and unofficial 'community support' help out a lot. Simple questions will get answered by others, you can pop in when you're free to help, then you just need to fill in the blanks or push people to ticket.

Thanked by 2Ympker Waldo19
  • HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

As a full time reseller hosting customer, I believe it should have :

1 ) JetBackups
    2 ) Let's Encrypt
    3 ) Free migrations
    4 ) LiteSpeed and LSCache
    And most importantly a special discount for early LET adopters

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Oh, totally forgot migration as I usually just do it manually but a restore/move feature like @brixly have would just be <3

It basically lets the reseller import cPanel Accounts or even whole WHM accounts.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited April 2019

@Ympker said:
    Oh, totally forgot migration as I usually just do it manually but a restore/move feature like @brixly have would just be <3

It basically lets the reseller import cPanel Accounts or even whole WHM accounts.

How many approx cpanel accounts (of your clients) are you hosting with all reseller providers? Also, do you use external backup services (third-party) or a single vps or anything other s3 or equivalent to backup your clients' cpanel accounts? Any reference for me is welcome.

• @Sofia_K said:

@Ympker said:
    Oh, totally forgot migration as I usually just do it manually but a restore/move feature like @brixly have would just be <3

How many approx cpanel accounts (of your clients) are you hosting with all reseller providers? Also, do you use external backup services (third-party) or a single vps or anything other s3 or equivalent to backup your clients' cpanel accounts? Any reference for me is welcome.

Heya mate,

Right now (since I have stopped offering hosting for now) it is probably only ~10ish.
    I have cancelled my RamNode and MisterHost a while ago and they will expire in a couple months. Sticked to Hostmantis to that end. I used to host way more on even more resellers but now it's only my own private sites, my mother's website and from a couple old friends. As for my managed-clients, I have helped all of them move on a while ago already.

Anyway what I used for backup were:

If possible Reseller Hosts that offer own backup solutions (Ramnode, Hostmantis, Brixly..).

Backup to 1Fichier using WHMEasyBackup .

Backup to local external drive.

Backup to local NAS.

That's basically it. All that without actually promising my clients any sorta backup that is. Except for the managed ones. But their Backup I also had rsynced to some VPS.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K

@Ympker said:

Sounds great, is this custom automation or is that software/plugin available from a 3rd party?

I think what is apparent is that I need a beta stage to get things perfected.

Thanked by 2Ympker dedicados
  • @Ympker said:

Backup to 1Fichier using WHMEasyBackup

thanks. I've just posted them with few technical pre-sales questions.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Hey @AnthonySmith
    These are the things I feel are absolutely necessary for a good Reseller Package:-

1) Healthy amount of HDD/SSD and Overselling it.
    My clients dont understand the difference between HDD and SSD. Nor do they care about the specifications of the server. All they care about is that their Wordpress CMS/Static website should work 24x7. And I only care about how many such clients I can onboard on the reseller hosting to maximize my profits so I need more space.

2) SSH Access
    Some of our websites are built on Laravel/Node or some other Custom CMS that may require composer cli usage or similar tools to be used via the terminal.

3) Auto backups (daily)
    Things do tend to get fucked up. I need to rely on something when they do.

4) Good Yearly Discount
    I prefer to pay yearly to a trusted host, In India especialy Paypal gets fucked quite often. So for me to go with a monthly plan could lead to a disaster.

5) Good Limits per user
    Who wouldnt want that, eh?

6) WhiteLabel (Especially for me)
    I normally include hosting in the package for a client who has built their application/website through my company and to show that I am indeed the hosting company they are relying upon, I need to have something to show, right? We have a private cloud known as Tectrix Cloud but nowadays every fucking static site client also wants to get on the get on the so called "CLOUD ECOSYSTEM" even though they have no fucking idea what it means or cannot afford it. I normally use whitelabel to show that indeed they are on our cloud. Adds a good impression to them and a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart.

Rest other things dont matter to me as long as the service does not have downtime of more than 5-7 days in a year(at the most).

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @AnthonySmith said:

@Ympker said:

Sounds great, is this custom automation or is that software/plugin available from a 3rd party?

I think what is apparent is that I need a beta stage to get things perfected.

I believe it's built in house. I've tested it during my trial with them and it let's you import multiple WHM the one reseller acc, or individual cPanel. Maybe @MikePT can give some insight whether it's available as addon or in-house. I believe the latter though.

Ympker said: I believe it's built in house. I've tested it during my trial with them and it let's you import multiple WHM the one reseller acc, or individual cPanel. Maybe @MikePT can give some insight whether it's available as addon or in-house. I believe the latter though.

I will have a look around, seems like a nice feature, if i cant find anything that seems an obvious thing to commission the development of.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Ympker said: I believe it's built in house. I've tested it during my trial with them and it let's you import multiple WHM the one reseller acc, or individual cPanel. Maybe @MikePT can give some insight whether it's available as addon or in-house. I believe the latter though.

I will have a look around, seems like a nice feature, if i cant find anything that seems an obvious thing to commission the development of.

It's pretty awesome as it works without intervention of the hosting provider. The client (reseller) can do it all himself. Let me find the video & my post about it:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155084/brixly-to-offer-cpanel-migration-center-allows-migrating-cpanel-reseller-accounts-from-any-host

Thanked by 1Sofia_K

Ympker said: It's pretty awesome as it works without intervention of the hosting provider. The client (reseller) can do it all himself. Let me find the video & my post about it:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155084/brixly-to-offer-cpanel-migration-center-allows-migrating-cpanel-reseller-accounts-from-any-host

Yep, I will get it developed then, no reason this should be unique, the best way to attract customers is to take the pain out of migrating, it then comes down to price+quality.

Thanked by 2Ympker HyperSpeed
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Ympker said: It's pretty awesome as it works without intervention of the hosting provider. The client (reseller) can do it all himself. Let me find the video & my post about it:

Yep, I will get it developed then, no reason this should be unique, the best way to attract customers is to take the pain out of migrating, it then comes down to price+quality.

Ping me if you need testers? :)

Ympker said: Ping me if you need testers?

Will do, I think I will just invite 10 or so experienced re-sellers for a year+ of free service in exchange for real time feed back e.g. don't let anything that annoys, frustrates or slows you down without opening a ticket about it.

• Jailed SSH access for sub-accounts. Just so we could run git pull/composer stuff.

• Letzien said: Complete dedicated service w/ as many IPv4 and IPv6 for myself, unused before, with a switch to magically change them. #0.50/yr.

Too expensive. Had it been like #0.25 per year...

• sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited April 2019

@subhojitdutta said:
    1) Healthy amount of HDD/SSD and Overselling it.
    2) SSH Access
    3) Auto backups (daily)
    4) Good Yearly Discount
    5) Good Limits per user
    6) WhiteLabel (Especially for me)
    Rest other things dont matter to me as long as the service does not have downtime of more than 5-7 days in a year(at the most).

Sounds like you need a VPS not Reseller Hosting. What if you are hosted on a provider that cap your resources to 1mb/s or 128mb ram? Transparency is important but remember you're not alone on that node and let's not start talking about a few hundreds of your clients sharing the same resources on that reseller package.

Technically speaking, what a reseller really needs is something (fill in the blank) that makes it hard for them to jump into the VPS ship which is the software infrastructure that is offered by the upstream provider.

Most of these small to medium companies are using (you guessed it) the mainstream cPanel/WHM or DirectAdmin or Plesk with some combos CloudLinux, Softaculous or Fantastico, LiteSpeed, WHMCS or Blesta, etc. Most of these stuff require expensive license subscriptions and really not worth it unless the brand itself is already well known and you have some investors/backers on your company that can push a bag of diamonds for your marketing campaign.

Reseller hosting should just die. In the coming of Cloud Hosting, with some of the coolest looking custom panel, I hope those software companies monopolist will earn less market share soon. "Reseller" in my opinion is just a term coined by some people who created it in the 90's to separate shared hosting (semi-shared) and make more money.

If I were in the hosting business, I'll do a niche hosting such as:

1. Laravel Hosting
    2. Managed WordPress Hosting
    3. NodeJS and all javascript nerds Hosting.
    4. Python-only Hosting.
    5. Full-stack Hosting that offers 1001 databases + scripting languages (php, go, etc.) support out of the box.
    6. reseller hosting to sell specific service --- email, dns, etc.
    7. and a few other stuff that all comes back to the same thing: datacenter, hardware...

this is because the internet/web is moving really fast that PHP/Python is not the only language relevant and available for the web. one must also provide support for git, svn, and other technical networking stuff for the reseller such as the easy-bility (a new english word i just invented) of ddos protection, cdn, ipv4/6 management, rdns, dns, whitelabel behind multiple layers of firewall to hide your information not even a route can detect your origin :D 24/7 support real life human being that actually knows how things work, great backup software/infra, and ssd/nvme... plan should start from $10/month and above to avoid market fluctuation...