Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reinstall Nginx and PHP-FPM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reinstall Nginx and PHP-FPM

nimdynimdy Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Hi all,

I've been playing around for VPSs for a few months now. I have no real expertise with Linux and command line, but I am trying to learn using tutorials. I've been able to set up a VPN, Wordpress site, Transmission server, and install DavMail (for scraping email from an Exchange web interface).

I have two VPSs - one AlienVPS, and one based in the UK. I think i've got the UK one sorted (a little wordpress website for my girlfriends music lesson business), but I'm still using the other as a 'play around' server.

I've stumped myself on installing a lemp suite so that i can install ajaxplorer (web file manager). I used one of the VPS scripts from here (minstall I think it was), but the install threw up a few errors along the way (I stupidly ran it as a non sudo user). I ended up with nginx working, but php not working. I tried removinx nginx and reinstalling, and now I'm stuck with no files in the nginx folder. This means I cannot start the service :(

I'd ordinarily reinstall the OpenVZ template and start again (harsh I know, but I am a newb), but this time I'd like to see if I can get some help on it first. Anyone? Please?

Comments

• What Linux Distro are you using?

• bretonbreton Member
    edited February 2012

Debian? Centos?

@nimdy said: threw up a few errors along the way.

You'd be more informative if you post them here using < pre > tag.

(I stupidly ran it as a non sudo user)

Then it should have done nothing.

• Sorry, I am using Debian 6.

Where would I find the log files for it (if they still exist)?

Perhaps it wasnt the sudo issue then, but something certainly went wrong along the way.

• @nimdy: Use the DotDeb Repo located here: http://www.dotdeb.org/

Then you can easily install nGinx + PHP-FPM. Make sure you read the instructions tab.

• I have no issue using apt-get to install nginx, it just wont install the default nginx.conf file and sites-enabled / sites-available files. I cant find the default ones online anywhere.

• @nimdy said: it just wont install the default nginx.conf file and sites-enabled / sites-available files. I cant find the default ones online anywhere.

Try 'apt-get --purge remove nginx', then re-install nginx from the DotDeb repo.

Thanked by 1nimdy
  • aptitude reinstall nginx

Also you might wanna install backports to get a more recent version of nginx. You can can information here for that: http://backports-master.debian.org/

Also dpkg -L is your friend. This will let you know what files are located at for a package.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

@AsuraHosting said: @nimdy said: it just wont install the default nginx.conf file and sites-enabled / sites-available files. I cant find the default ones online anywhere.

Could just try deleting the folders then reinstalling? Its what I do, but it probably does more damage then good.

• @AsuraHosting thanks for that. I did that and this command founf online:

apt-get -o DPkg::options::=--force-confmiss --reinstall install nginx

I seem to be running again now!

• That's great to hear =)