Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Checking Hosts' Spam Reputation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help Checking Hosts' Spam Reputation

I am late to the party. For too long my servers have been inundated with spam. I've just learned how to block IP ranges in Postfix. (Yes, I know I am slow and not very bright. Being a hostmaster isn't my full time job, but I enjoy it for the most part.)

As I examine the spam that I have been receiving, it is easy to spot some of the hosts to block, HostWinds anyone? When I see a name I don't recognize I've been googling the host hame with "spammer" and seeing the results.

Would anyone have a better way of checking a host's reputation? E.g., I've received quite a bit of spam from Secured Servers in Arizona. But, I don't find much that says they are a host to spammers. When I am unsure, I usually forward the spam to the abuse email address in WHOis. No answer usually means a spammer.

Just looking for suggestions or help on getting the best content into my client_checks file.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

There are several well-known blacklists out there. (Google them)

They provide tools to check IP ranges.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

It can be pretty dangerous to block entire subnets, as all hosts have spammers to some extent using their service. You can end up missing out on legitimate emails if you go blocking hosts' entire range. Best to use RBLs to manage the blocking.

FYI - Secured Servers is PhoenixNAP's white label