Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudFlare Registrar? Worth Giving up Choice of DNS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudFlare Registrar? Worth Giving up Choice of DNS?

Comments

• @joepie91 said:

TimboJones said: And I would NOT call Cloudflare a centralized service.

Why not? Single company controlling (by now) a double-digit percentage of the web, sounds pretty damn centralized to me.

Because that's not what centralized refers to. You're thinking of something else.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2019

joepie91 said: Unfortunately, I've not found that to be the case. People have fallen for Cloudflare's marketing spiel en masse.

Bottom line is $$$ saved is still $$$ saved. Moving my domains from namesilo/namecheap and porkbun will save me high 3 figure $$$ to low 4 figure $$$$ per year in renewal costs for .com/.net extensions. Lots of folks with many more domains would save even more with some of the more exotic and expensive domain extensions !

Thanked by 1switsys
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said:

sureiam said: Some are but anyone that's considering CloudFlare generally knows about NameSilo at the very least.

Unfortunately, I've not found that to be the case. People have fallen for Cloudflare's marketing spiel en masse.

I never heard of NameSilo until this thread, then again I don't have the need to go looking for a new registrar.

• @rm_ said:
    It's a surprise to me that they require you to host the domain on CF just to use the registrar. Explains then, why it is provided by them supposedly with no markup. Stay away.

I haven't tried their registrar, so, I asked on reddit about this, and someone said that you are able to use any DNS. Is that true? Or you are forced to use CF on that domains?

• yomero said: I haven't tried their registrar, so, I asked on reddit about this, and someone said that you are able to use any DNS. Is that true? Or you are forced to use CF on that domains?

You have to use CF dns for domain registrar - read FAQ https://developers.cloudflare.com/registrar/domain-transfers/transfer-faq/

What happens to my name servers when I transfer my domain to Cloudflare?
    Cloudflare Registrar only supports transfers of domains that are active on Cloudflare. Active domains on Cloudflare use nameservers assigned by Cloudflare. When you transfer your registration, your nameservers will not be modified.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @eva2000 said:

joepie91 said: Unfortunately, I've not found that to be the case. People have fallen for Cloudflare's marketing spiel en masse.

Bottom line is $$$ saved is still $$$ saved. Moving my domains from namesilo/namecheap and porkbun will save me high 3 figure $$$ to low 4 figure $$$$ per year in renewal costs for .com/.net extensions. Lots of folks with many more domains would save even more with some of the more exotic and expensive domain extensions !

Christ, how many domains do you own? I thought Namesilo and Porkbun marked up less than a buck. So you've got like 1000+ domains. I didn't even think the delta would be even as high as a buck.

Unless I'm mistaken and the Namesilo and PB margins are higher.

Edit: $8.03 vs $9.17 or so (assuming the 8.99 doesn't include icann)? So more than a buck. With 1000 domains, you'd get a discount from Namesilo, too.

• lets say, quite a few domains :)

• Namesilo's markup for COM is OK($1)
    It was definitely more for NET renewal when I checked in March.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited April 2019

@KuJoe said:

@joepie91 said:

sureiam said: Some are but anyone that's considering CloudFlare generally knows about NameSilo at the very least.

Unfortunately, I've not found that to be the case. People have fallen for Cloudflare's marketing spiel en masse.

I never heard of NameSilo until this thread, then again I don't have the need to go looking for a new registrar.

One or two domains don't matter much but I thought most users here had about 10-30 domains that's like $10-30 difference a year which is the cost of a low end But capable vps ;).

Porkbun is at 8.53 namesilo at 8.99 and cloudflare at 7.85 i believe. if your not using one of those three options in 2019 then your wasting money IMO. With that said the new ttld varies greatlyin price. Between those three by as much as $5.

This all sounds like small change but it adds up when doing your bottom line. A registrar with my Namservers is doing nothing different from another one. They just have to be able to autobill me and stay in business and I have the exact same experience between. So why pay more?

@vimalware said:
    Namesilo's markup for COM is OK($1)
    It was definitely more for NET renewal when I checked in March.

Ya your basically paying about $1.20ish a year markup for their overhead and dns hosting (which is really bad btw). Name silo dns has improved a lot in the last 2 years but it's still really bad. So bad they've set a policy that will reset all caching times to the longest available time to avoid strain on their dns.

Porkbun dns currently are doing very well though.

This is just to say all DNS is not made equal

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

sureiam said: This all sounds like small change but it adds up when doing your bottom line. A registrar with my Namservers is doing nothing different from another one. They just have to be able to autobill me and stay in business and I have the exact same experience between. So why pay more?

Because a lack of competition is bad for everybody in the long run, and that's precisely what Cloudflare is working towards.

Here's the problem with zero-margin domains: it's impossible for a registrar to compete with Cloudflare in an ethical manner. There needs to be a margin somewhere for a company to pay its bills, which means that over time, you'll only be left with two types of registrars:

1. Registrars that constantly try to trick you into buying more stuff that they can turn a profit on, in the most annoying and misleading ways. Think GoDaddy.
    2. Companies that bundle domain registration with something else, like Cloudflare does, so that the "something else" is what provides their funding. This leads to Google-style "bundle monopolies" where it's impossible to get out of the ecosystem because everything is closely tied together in an anti-competitive way. Especially with a company like Cloudflare that has a pretty sketchy business model, that's problematic.

Essentially, transferring your domains to Cloudflare (or any other zero-margin registrar, for that matter) will actively help to kill off the last remaining ethical domain registrars, that will sell you just a domain without bullshit. Because there's no way for them to stay in business.

• I switched from namecheap to porkbun, haven't had any issues with either - so if stability is a concern, porkbun is fine.

• sureiam said: Porkbun is at 8.53 namesilo at 8.99 and cloudflare at 7.85 i believe. if your not using one of those three options in 2019 then your wasting money IMO.

What about namecheap? I only checked a few TLDs but Namesilo was more expensive, slightly, than namecheap. And namecheap is known and recommended by a heck of a lot more people than namesilo... I'll stick with Namecheap.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Just now compared .net renewal at Internet.bs to Porkbun.
    11.88 EUR vs 9.32 EUR (as converted from USD)
    What the hell, Internet.bs used to be cheap.
    I won't be using CloudFlare, but when renewal comes I'll transfer to somewhere else, maybe to Porkbun.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • LetzienLetzien Member
    edited April 2019

FWIW, I just posted in Domains - Porkbun is offering a $3/1 year new reg for non-premium .COM domains (1 per client).

• @joepie91 said:

I agree that some margin should be expected but I'm still not exactly sure how much effort goes into running a registrar that doesn't host their own DNS.

Why can't I just buy it direct under the pretense of providing my own name servers? Let's be honest here in 2019 the tech needed to maintain a database of users and names is pretty minimal.

In any case porkbun and name silo are remarkably close to cost so that's fine.

I still can't stand porkbuns who is with donut reference and a name like porkbun. Buts just preference.

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited April 2019

@rm_ said:
    Just now compared .net renewal at Internet.bs to Porkbun.
    11.88 EUR vs 9.32 EUR (as converted from USD)
    What the hell, Internet.bs used to be cheap.
    I won't be using CloudFlare, but when renewal comes I'll transfer to somewhere else, maybe to Porkbun.

People always transfer between registrars when they want to save some money. So far flickmax.co offering $6.47 for COM transfers and $8.57 NET transfers. They are godaddy.com reseller. Promo code RS119A6

On the other hand, lcn.com offering com/net/org/info transfer for $6.5. Only payment option card.

The transfer means renewal included ao technically you are renewing cheaper.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

I usually just do OpenProvider :) It's cheap.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

sureiam said: I agree that some margin should be expected but I'm still not exactly sure how much effort goes into running a registrar that doesn't host their own DNS.

Why can't I just buy it direct under the pretense of providing my own name servers? Let's be honest here in 2019 the tech needed to maintain a database of users and names is pretty minimal.

Very bluntly put: you're not paying for the database, you're paying for the support. Top-level registries don't want to have to deal with a lot of people asking for support, and therefore that gets delegated to registrars. "Support" here doesn't just include "help it's broken", but also abusemail, law enforcement inquiries, and so on.

This is probably also precisely why the margins are so much lower for registrars that deal with bulk registrations; their domains-to-customers ratio is much higher, and therefore their per-domain support costs are much lower.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @joepie91 said:

sureiam said: I agree that some margin should be expected but I'm still not exactly sure how much effort goes into running a registrar that doesn't host their own DNS.

Very bluntly put: you're not paying for the database, you're paying for the support. Top-level registries don't want to have to deal with a lot of people asking for support, and therefore that gets delegated to registrars. "Support" here doesn't just include "help it's broken", but also abusemail, law enforcement inquiries, and so on.

This is probably also precisely why the margins are so much lower for registrars that deal with bulk registrations; their domains-to-customers ratio is much higher, and therefore their per-domain support costs are much lower.

Fair enough. Also we've reached prices where it's really fair. In business you want the best deal where the seller is losing money on the deal but that's not sustainable or appropriate. So getting a fair deal is realistically where you should always be at. Including when buying cars and other big ticket items.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

joepie91 said: conveniently overlooking the existence of registrars like Internet.bs

They got bought by centralnic (those cowboys who run fake TLD's like net.com etc), since then they've slowly changed the interface and bumped up the pricing. MOre recently they put up the prices of .it and .uk, seemingly for no reason as the wholesale cost has not increased. However, cloudflare nor porkbun for example, support .uk domains, which led me to find another registrar selling some TLD's at wholesale cost... OVH. They reg and renew .uk domains at wholesale cost, which has saved me $$$$ (i have a lot of .uk's)

So I'm kinda thankful internetbs put their prices up as it's resulted in me saving a load of money

• Can't change nameservers without ticket to support, now it makes sense.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited April 2019

Nope not even a ticket will help. cloudflare clearly states in their terms you have to use their name servers. No choice

SERVICE USAGE.
    Nameservers. Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

https://www.cloudflare.com/domain-registration-agreement/

Clear as day. Feel like they shouldn't be given icann approval stamp with such BS.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited April 2019

Adam1 said: They reg and renew .uk domains at wholesale cost.

The renew is actual under wholesale at £3.58 and registering is £4.55, the wholesale price is £3.75 if I remember correctly, I moved all my .uk domain there a few months ago.

• SovaSova Member

If you can't change namerservers, how's someone supposed to use this with third party shared hosting which give you their nameservers for use?

• @Sova said:
    If you can't change namerservers, how's someone supposed to use this with third party shared hosting which give you their nameservers for use?

Easy, you just set the DNS to the shared hosting. If you want to mimic it exactly the same you can go to the DNS settings in your shared hosting and just copy the same DNS. That'll have the same effect as changing the nameservers over to the shared hosting.

The reason we want to change the nameservers is because we don't want to use CloudFlare for our DNS provider or we have configurations that are unique or involve DDNS

Thanked by 1Sova
  • @primexception said:
    You shouldn't make false assumptions.

I have a few domains on CF Register and the DNS is hosted elsewhere.

It's very easy to make a support ticket and ask for the name servers to be changed.

Registars are required by ICANN to allow you to control your name servers.

I did not see such a rule on the ICANN website. Under what rule do you make this assumption?
    I created a support request for Cloudflare and said that they cannot change the domain name servers as required by the domain registration agreement.

• HxxxHxxx Member

A records. Easy... Next question please

@Sova said:

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

sureiam said: Clear as day. Feel like they shouldn't be given icann approval stamp with such BS.

100% agree.

primexception said: Registars are required by ICANN to allow you to control your name servers.

Link or it didnt happen.

• @SplitIce

Here you go:

tl;dr if their support changes your nameservers (upon request) within seven days, they're in the clear

Source: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.pdf

Thanked by 2SplitIce uptime
  • Any one here using dnspod's dns services (free)??? If yes, how is their service?