Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it matter what kind of ram you get for shared hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does it matter what kind of ram you get for shared hosting

HostUpHostUp Member, Host Rep
edited April 2019 in General

Hi there. Is there any huge difference between what kind of ram you put in your server? DDR3 1600MHz vs DDR4 2666MHz for an example. The reason I am wondering is because the price difference is like 1.5x

I know that there are differences but, in your opinion are they worth it?

Comments

• A great reminder to not use your services ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Does your motherboard support both DDR3 and DDR4? If not then don't worry about it, base your build off the CPU and not the RAM type. As long as you get ECC RAM you'll be fine for hosting.

Thanked by 2cybertech vimalware
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2019

How do I know:

Less Clients on Server | 2x Less Clients Per Server | 3x Less Clients Per Server?

• HostUpHostUp Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said:
    Does your motherboard support both DDR3 and DDR4? If not then don't worry about it, base your build off the CPU and not the RAM type. As long as you get ECC RAM you'll be fine for hosting.

Yes of course, always ECC. It is just that currently I am using DDR4, but I found a CPU that is quite good for the pricing, but it only takes DDR3 and Up to 1600mhz.

• for production, ECC should be more of an advantage.

RAM speed has very little impact on shared hosting environments. Your focus should be on more CPU cores and RAM over faster CPU and RAM.

• @KuJoe said:
    RAM speed has very little impact on shared hosting environments. Your focus should be on more CPU cores and RAM over faster CPU and RAM.

..and who types easyapache and when it was last done?

• Adam1Adam1 Member

I aim for straight ram

• @Adam1 said:
    I aim for straight ram

At the "Tool Shed"?

@Letzien said:

@KuJoe said:

Sorry, I don't follow. :confused:

• @KuJoe said:

@Letzien said:

@KuJoe said:

Sorry, I don't follow. :confused:

It's a CPanel thing often blindly followed to 'fix' things.