Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perfect hosting for auction site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Perfect hosting for auction site?

I am from South Africa. I am looking for a server that will be able to handle running an online auction site. I wanted to find out does it affect the SEO ranking?

The local servers are a bit pricey. I wanted to find out what can I get away with here?

• I will use emails only for admin and site related.
  • My website will be wordpress.

Do I get a normal webhosting account with a dedicated ip address?
Do I run the site from OpenVZ/KVM VPS?

Advice needed. Please let me know of offers I can look into.

Looking at roughly from $40 - $70/annually

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2019

Dedicated IP or not (shared) should have no effect on SEO. If your site has contents people want, search engines will find your site no matter what either way.

OpenVZ is cheaper. KVM is the holy grail nowadays due to it being more true to being, well, VM (virtual machine).

• @deank said:
    Dedicated IP or not (shared) should have no effect on SEO. If your site has contents people want, search engines will find your site no matter what either way.

OpenVZ is cheaper. KVM is the holy grail nowadays due to it being more true to being, well, VM (virtual machine).

Which host would you recommend for this?

I am a troll and therefore must stay neutral. I will not recommend any hosts.

I am sure someone else will give you recommendations.

• FastmakoFastmako Member, Host Rep

Any Shared Hosting company can hold a Wordpress site. The plan depends on your requirements in power/script/space/bandwidth/location.

You could go with an unmanaged VPS, but it's not recommended if you don't know how to manage it and secure it. Therefore, you should simply stick with something simple and easy, like shared hosting, so you can actually focus on your website and customers; and let the provider handle the hosting and it's security over time.

Dedicated IP? Only if you need it. I don't think you need it for a Wordpress website with auctioning.

• As pointed out, the issue is less of IP address and more of whether your server can handle the load if you have lots of bid requests to your database server. You probably want a decent amount of RAM and NVMe as your storage disk so that you reduce odds of the database slowing down under load.

I recommend KVM for reasons of security. I would imagine bid information should be private and on OpenVZ if the host is compromised, the containers are wide open. Less of an issue with KVMs, and also KVM nodes generally are less susceptible to overselling.

• Try with something like that first: https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/

Only with the time, you will realize if you need more resources for your app or not.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited April 2019

Try from the most basic shared hosting plan with minimum 10GB disk, and 100 GB bandwidth. As and when you grow, upgrade.

But If you site uses too many plugins, PHP scripts and always connects to database (to keep content fresh since it is an auction site) and does not need a cache-plugin, then you should only go with VPS rather than any shared hosting as it will hit the limit too soon as most shared hosting accounts have maximum 1GB RAM which can burn much faster if you get too many visitors/too many request to database. If you are not a web-pro, then get cPanel (addon) with your VPS provider or directly buy managed vps hosting.

Buy a OpenVZ. It's cheaper. Later on when your budget and revenue grow, migrate to KVM. There are many good providers. BuyVM, Ramnode, etc.

P.S. you MONTHLY budget should be $30-$40 and not annually.

• Hetzner.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Okay. There is already a client base as it won't be a new site. I should've mentioned that. I am not sure how many people, but its a business that was operating without a site so now we're taking it online.

Then time to hire an IT guy? You are going to need one sooner or later.

• emghemgh Member

geekhost said: $40 - $70/annually

deank said: IT guy

That's good enough of a budget for a lowend IT guy.

• @deank said:
    That's good enough of a budget for a lowend IT guy.

For $40/yr I'll ignore you, and for $70/yr I'll point you to google.

• @emgh said:

geekhost said: $40 - $70/annually

deank said: IT guy

Isn’t there already an client base? I would expect you’re budget to be a lot more especially since it’s already existing.

• I would recommend just using regular hosting and setting up site on that until you have enough traffic to justify a VPS or Dedicated server. Why overpay?