Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frowned upon to use external DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frowned upon to use external DNS?

Hey guys!

Just wondering if it's frowned upon to use DNS services like afraid.org instead of your own.

Comments

• Frowned upon by whom?

I use dns.he.net for all my main domains DNS hosting, it's free, it's rock solid, it's dual-stack, backed by a major company and saves me the headache of running my own DNS servers.

• I hope not. I use Cloudflare and HE.net (and even NameCheap) for DNS.

• I mean for hosting a Hosting Website.

• I use Cloudflare for my DNS. I tried Rage4 for its GeoIP but I had some minor issues. Probably a goof-up on my part though.

• I use he.net

• We use Cloudflare / rage4.

• So I guess the answer = no, it is perfectly fine to use external DNS.

• Frowned upon to use external DNS?

Amazon.com Inc annual revenues $70.1 billion

Amazon.com DNS servers:
    pdns6.ultradns.co.uk
    ns4.p31.dynect.net
    pdns4.ultradns.org
    pdns3.ultradns.org
    pdns1.ultradns.net
    ns3.p31.dynect.net
    ns1.p31.dynect.net
    pdns5.ultradns.info
    ns2.p31.dynect.net
    pdns2.ultradns.net

Thanked by 1raidz
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I use pointhq, its simple and easy to use with a free version that allows you 5 domains free. Rage4 is pretty good also.

• I use my own servers as they give me more control and ability to bulk update DNS records.

• @DalComp said:
    I use my own servers as they give me more control and ability to bulk update DNS records.

This ^ and it makes me feel better having a use for all the LEBs I bought on impulse.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Not at all, I know plenty of organizations that use third-party DNS services for fail over services. Amazon's Route53 is a popular choice.

• DomainBop said: Amazon.com Inc annual revenues $70.1 billion

To be fair, if they fuck something up, they lose on the order of a couple billion dollars.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@DalComp said:
    I use my own servers as they give me more control and ability to bulk update DNS records.

Afraid org also allows that.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Use a combo of Rackspace, CloudFlare, and my own DNS on my various websites.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I use 8 lebs in a cPanel DNS cluster now :)

• I use a mix of registrar and own DNS cluster depending on the domain and usage for the site.

• I use Rage4 for anything important, anything less important I just use namecheap.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

dns4.pro is free and has lots of anycast locations around the world.

• +1 for dns4.pro

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

Maounique said: dns4.pro is free and has lots of anycast locations around the world.

DNS4.PRO: "This project is now co-owned by Prometeus, more infos will be released in the next weeks"

Aha! I noticed the "free anycast DNS" link in your WHMCS last week. That explains that.

• i have 58 domains on cloudflare i must be frowned upon by many

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited October 2013

Glad to see that there is such a support from the community for our dns project(s). Thanks a lot.

If there is any specific question, I'm more than happy to answer it (you can reach me anytime by e-mail which is listed on the dns4.pro website).

We were also just adding the support of using dns4.pro as slave Nameserver (should work for dnssec, but still beta-testing). For most needs dns4.pro should be enough (if you are missing a feature, please let me know), if you need some kind of GeoDNS... Rage4 are experts there. By the way, you can also combine our two projects to have even more redundancy!

• ReeRee Member

@matthewvz said:
    I use pointhq, its simple and easy to use with a free version that allows you 5 domains free. Rage4 is pretty good also.

Email I got recently makes it sound like they'll be reducing that to 1 free. Doesn't sound like they'll be grandfathering anybody either (although TBH I just jumped ship without looking into it, since I don't like the way things have been going since the buyout).

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Ree said:
    Email I got recently makes it sound like they'll be reducing that to 1 free. Doesn't sound like they'll be grandfathering anybody either (although TBH I just jumped ship without looking into it, since I don't like the way things have been going since the buyout).

Looks like I'm going to have to switch or do my own DNS setup, never seen that email but looking on their site it does say 1 free domain (with a 10 record limit).

• I have moved from PointDNS, don't understand why they moved from zero to a minimum of $30 a year so fast.

If it had been from zero to a budget price of say $5 a year I might of considered it, but I could host my own DNS service for less than $30 a year.

Email 18/10/13 was..

Hi,

I wanted to share some upcoming changes to PointDNS.

Over the last 6 months we have re-built the UI to provide a beautiful, simple, and powerful interface to make managing DNS easier; we have a core team of 12 people - and growing - the work on Point every day. Our vision is to provide the most resilient and fastest network, with the most powerful set of management options, so that any domain managed by Point is rock-solid and extremely configurable.

I'd like to share a little of our roadmap and new features:

• Managed Health Checks: Uptime and performance monitoring (provided by the technology behind stillalive.com)
    • Phone and Email Support 24x7
    • Office Status Sites with automatic configuration and status message updates
    • Failover DNS
    • Geographic Load Balancing (we introduced Round Robin a couple of weeks ago)
    • Full Audit Control and Reporting - Logging of all activity so you can trace changes, and analyze metrics. (The first step was usage metrics)
    • Increased security with 2-Factor authentication and 2-Person verification, so you can lock a domain down and require more than 1 user to make major changes.

We want Point to be the backbone of your applications. DNS is the core route of all internet traffic - and we're (hopefully clearly!) passionate about our product. But in order to deliver an enterprise-grade service, we need to ensure the business has revenue to continue growing. Point has a large user base, and we sign up a lot of new users every day - but only a tiny percent pay - less than 2%.

So today we're introducing new pricing plans. We've created 2 tiers - one for self-service domain management and one for fully managed DNS. Plans start from $8 per month. Because you're already a user of Point, and we really appreciate your support, we're offering an annual plan of $30 for any upgrades in the next 30 days. After 30 days - you can continue using Point with 1 domain - for free.

Any questions or feedback - please contact us on [email protected].

Cormac