Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile)

13»

Comments

• @t0ny0 said:

@marrco said:

@t0ny0 said:
    It does NOT mask your IP. So this is a VPN that might boost speeds, but is very far from being a privacy oriented VPN. Just a warning to people thinking they found a good deal on a VPN :-)

I'm using it now. And it does mask your ip. Mine is in the 8.40/16 range (cloudflare) atm.

at least using WARP+ but don't trust my words, you can test it yourself. Just remove the app from your phone and re-install it from a special invite link to get the 1GB free traffic bonus.

WARP+ is about 30% faster than the regular WARP To try with 1 GB free traffic per month an invite code (with referral) is needed. Feel free to use mine: https://warp.plus/c9cX
    (no registration and no credit card needed. When the free 1 GB is over it just routes traffic using the standard WARP routes)

It maybe adds some "relayed for" or "proxied for" headers, but for sure the IP connecting to the website when using WARP+ is not mine but one in the Cloudflare range.

Alright, connect to WARP+ and go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

Voila - your IP is very much visible.

thatì's right, but not because that's the connecting ip. WARP+ just adds a header. The real connecting IP is in the 8.40/16 range (Cloudflare).

It's their choice to add the originating IP header to show where the request originated from. But all the traffic stays encrypted in transit.

Warp is a real VPN and the connecting IP is in the Cloudflare range, but they add in the headers the source IP. So that it can't be used to circumvent Netflix geo-restriction and so on.

• What they’re saying is if you have your true IP exposed you aren’t staying private. LET admins can still try to ping your router and your fridge if they’re so inclined.

• @caracal said:
    What they’re saying is if you have your true IP exposed you aren’t staying private. LET admins can still try to ping your router and your fridge if they’re so inclined.

you are private to extraneous, third part, spying eyes.

if I decide to connect to LET it's fair play that LET admins know who I am. What I don't like is my provider (or my transit) to intercept my traffic. I have no problem with the fact warp adds a True-Client-IP header. It's not an anonymizing proxy. It's not TOR.

so for me, it's an excellent VPN, that stays legal without trying to circumvent ie. Netflix geo-restrictions. With the additional benefit of making my connection faster, using optimized routes. And even in the free offer, not slower than my non-encrypted connection, so why not using it?

• Sure, not saying I have an issue with the exposing of IP. It's even beneficial for me as I hated browsing with VPN and hitting CAPTCHAs everywhere.. I hated having to disconnect it to watch Netflix.

Your points make sense; you're just arguing different side of the coins here.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

marrco said: Warp is a real VPN and the connecting IP is in the Cloudflare range, but they add in the headers the source IP. So that it can't be used to circumvent Netflix geo-restriction and so on.

If Netflix trusts this header, then you can just add it arbitrarily to pretend the "true IP" is in some country it likes, and avoid the restriction that way :)

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @rm_ said:

marrco said: Warp is a real VPN and the connecting IP is in the Cloudflare range, but they add in the headers the source IP. So that it can't be used to circumvent Netflix geo-restriction and so on.

If Netflix trusts this header, then you can just add it arbitrarily to pretend the "true IP" is in some country it likes, and avoid the restriction that way :)

Maybe it's something like if source IP = netflix, check true ip flag

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@rm_ said:

No, that would break Netflix entire protection against that.
    Its most likely whitelisted or trusted, thats why it works with that header.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2019

USD 1 per month for me (okay, 1.25 including taxes) for unlimited traffic under WARP+ thanks to CF using Big Mac Index for pricing.

Updated (and in response to @sanvit's message below) : Loc: India

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @vyas11 said:
    USD 1 per month for me (okay, 1.25 including taxes) for unlimited traffic under WARP+ thanks to CF using Big Mac Index for pricing.

Which country?

• A big mac is not 5 usd in moldova. Cunts! -_-

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2019

I signed up for a
    1 month WARP unlimited : they did charge me abt 1 US$

And guess which site does NOT load easily using WARP ?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • So has anyone done any benchmarks of no warp vs free warp vs warp+?

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited September 2019

@jimaek said:
    So has anyone done any benchmarks of no warp vs free warp vs warp+?

KR -> South America

KR -> NL

KR -> South Africa

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @caracal said:
    Sure, not saying I have an issue with the exposing of IP. It's even beneficial for me as I hated browsing with VPN and hitting CAPTCHAs everywhere.. I hated having to disconnect it to watch Netflix.

Your points make sense; you're just arguing different side of the coins here.

Warp has split tunnel which is not uncommon for VPN clients.

• @rm_ said:

I'd say it's Netflix trusting Cloudflare, so that header is considered reliable only on connections from a WARP / WARP+ IP range. But mine is just an educated guess

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2019

Posting speedtest results from my iOS device - iPhone 8 Plus, Jio LTE India, Sept 30th, 7 AM IST. Will test during peak hours (between 7 PM and 9 PM IST) and update if still within the magic 4 hour window. Otherwise on my WIP post on the same.

Base case

Test Result with WARP

Speedtest- with WARP Plus

Obvious question is "if speed using WARP plus I slower than vanilla WARP, then why pay?" It is too early to comment right now.

• @vyas11 said:
    Posting speediest results from my iOS device - iPhone 8 Plus, Jio LTE India, Sept 30th, 7 AM IST. Will test during peak hours (between 7 PM and 9 PM IST) and update if still within the magic 4 hour window. Otherwise on my WIP post on the same.

Base case

Test Result with WARP

Speedtest- with WARP Plus

Obvious question is "if speed using WARP plus I slower than vanilla WARP, then why pay?" It is too early to comment right now.

WARP+ shines when you access websites across the globe. If your testing from a local server near you, it will most likely be slower since it's going through another hop.

• @sanvit, Thanks for the info. I think it is also a function of where the CF VPN is: It is now defaulting to Singapore, and on my mobile I am getting zero u/L speeds :-) The Speediest result on my home wifi was from Singapore to Indonesia.

• @vyas11 said:
    @sanvit, Thanks for the info. I think it is also a function of where the CF VPN is: It is now defaulting to Singapore, and on my mobile I am getting zero u/L speeds :-) The Speediest result on my home wifi was from Singapore to Indonesia.

My internet sometimes stops working until I force close and re-open the app.
    Geolocation showed on speedtest app may be wrong (mine was showing as HK while I'm on KR). The best way to check the real server you're in is by going 1.1.1.1/cdn-cgi/trace (or change 1.1.1.1 to any CF hosted domain)

• @sanvit said:

@vyas11 said:
    @sanvit, Thanks for the info. I think it is also a function of where the CF VPN is: It is now defaulting to Singapore, and on my mobile I am getting zero u/L speeds :-) The Speediest result on my home wifi was from Singapore to Indonesia.

Noticed this happening when switching to mobile internet and back to wifi.

• @xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@vyas11 said:

This is an Android bug that Google fixed. Update your phone

• @AlexJones said:

@xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@vyas11 said:

It has the latest updates.

• @xaoc said:

@AlexJones said:

@xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@vyas11 said:

Ok then it's probably the application. Report a bug

• @AlexJones said:

@xaoc said:

@AlexJones said:

@xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@vyas11 said:

Ok then it's probably the application. Report a bug

Reported a couple days ago. :D