Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FREE DDOS mitigation from GOOGLE
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FREE DDOS mitigation from GOOGLE

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
edited October 2013 in General

Google is offering free DDOS mitigation. Unfortunately it is invite only at the moment: http://projectshield.withgoogle.com/

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

And only for this content:

Organizations with sites serving media, elections and human rights related content

• Organizations with sites serving media, elections and human rights related content

How many media and human rights related sites are going to want to signup for a service offered by a company that willingly shares user info with the NSA? Not many.

Thanked by 2perennate gsrdgrdghd
  • May be the main idea is to forward more information and fast to NSA ;)

• @DomainBop said:
    How many media and human rights related sites are going to want to signup for a service offered by a company that willingly shares user info with the NSA? Not many.

The phrase "willingly shares" has a very relative meaning when you use it in the same sentence as "NSA" .

• " to protect free expression online"

Covers a large range of topics :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@eastonch said:
    " to protect free expression online"

Covers a large range of topics :)

I've got some things I'd like to express :)

I bet they only invite people they agree with.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

Another attempt from Google to own as much info as possible.

• I'm okay with giving them limited access to my info in exchange. Nothing in this world is free...

• Lots of you guys mention privacy concerns, but if the place where the data is being hosted doesn't change (so essentially the data doesn't move) how would Google get more access to data? Wouldn't ddos protection just filter out packets that reach your server?

• I actually applied just fine and got approved within 4 minutes. My website is a personal blog.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Lots of you guys mention privacy concerns, but if the place where the data is being hosted doesn't change (so essentially the data doesn't move) how would Google get more access to data? Wouldn't ddos protection just filter out packets that reach your server?

You've just explained it. All the packets go to Google for filtering (which they can capture them all for analysis too) before it goes to you.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

All the guys trying to make a business out of DDoS mitigation just shit themselves. Probably the same guys who are doing the attacks anyways.

Oh and please spare me the NSA paranoid hyperbole. Share it amongst your other tinfoil hat friends.

• @sman said:

Oh and please spare me the NSA paranoid hyperbole. Share it amongst your other tinfoil hat friends.

president of the tinfoil hat wearer's association sharing her NSA paranoia with fellow tinfoil hat wearers at the UN :P

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

@DomainBop said:

Which is related to Google starting another web service because????

Please explain Mr McAfee

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@DomainBop said:

Who the f..k cares about the brazilian and german terrorists and child abusers ?
    They should be happy the one nation under god is not taking them out with the drones... for now.
    And dont get me started about UN, the mouthpiece of terrorist organizations.
    Without that snowden traitor as well as manning and a few other unamericans, like EFF and ACLU things would have been restricted to a few tin foil conspiration theory fools.
    Now only the right-wing cults and war-mongers are dismissing the facts.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

I don't think Google is plotting to use this service for data snooping quite yet. It become that in the future, but the project is still in it's early stages and Google has a track record of letting free services run for a long-time before trying to extract a profit.

I think it's great that a company like Google, with all it's resources, to make a contribution in the area of DDoS mitigation.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Da fuq ?

Meanwhile, the Associated Press quoted an unnamed administration official saying the Obama government was considering ending spying on allied heads of state.

The official said a final decision had still to be made, as the internal review was under way.