Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

he.net Madrid -> USA which fiber?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

he.net Madrid -> USA which fiber?

datanoisedatanoise Member
edited April 2019 in Help

Hi

Doing some traceroutes, I noticed that he.net seems to have a direct route from Madrid to the US (Ashburn). For example (from https://lg.he.net/):

1   7 ms    7 ms    7 ms    e0-3.core2.mad1.he.net (184.105.81.221)
2   83 ms   83 ms   83 ms   100ge11-2.core2.ash1.he.net (72.52.92.73)

I don't understand which physical link this does use. Closer I find on their network map goes through Paris.

On submarinecablemap.com the only direct links between ES and US are Colombus III and marea but it doesn't seem to be what HE uses...

Anyone can tell me which fiber they use to go from Spain to the US?

Thanks!

Comments

• This is not the HE.net sales/support forum?

Send an email to them?

My bet; MPLS.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited April 2019

Thanks for your answer! Seems like it's probably MPLS.

I'll try to contact them.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Just because you do not see a L3 device decrementing TTL (which is what you see in traceroute) does not necessarily mean it is a direct fiber link. Traffic could simply be tunneled or encapsulated.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Ask Doug Wilson. Tell him I sent you.

• packetnextpacketnext Member
    edited April 2019

@datanoise said:
    Thanks for your answer! Seems like it's probably MPLS.

I'll try to contact them.

today is your lucky day; they indeed mention the Colombus III link from Conil, Spain to the US on their 3d network map

plus, in blue, madrid-ashburn, which probably is the active one, you mentioned in your traceroute

http://he.net/3d-map/

Thanked by 2datanoise that_guy
  • packetnext said: in blue, madrid-ashburn, which probably is the active one, you mentioned in your traceroute

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for mentioning their 3D map, their PDF map isn't up to date.