Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Cluster with Loadbalancer Vs Dedicated server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Cluster with Loadbalancer Vs Dedicated server.

Hello,

I've been using VPS for my commercial site since 2017. But now the traffic is really outgrowing the demands of my current server(VPS). Therefore, to scale I am gonna add more resources to the environment.
1st Approach : Deploy 4 VPS;
a.vps (For Load balancing)
b.vps (For serving the website)
c.vps (For serving the website)
d.vps(For Database)

2nd Approch : Just Deploy a dedicated server & use it for everything

Possible Hosts that I'll be using,
For VPS: Linode, DigitalOcean, Ramnode, or Vultr.

For Dedicated server : Scaleway, OVH, Hetzner, Or Nocix.

So, I would like to know what LET has to say, which approach should I take & what would you have done if you were in my shoes. :)

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Chris.

Comments

• Definitely 1 if you want more availability and since you are generating that much traffic, 1 seems to be necessary to ensure more reliability and fallback and as far as I am concerned, you'd have to be doing something very high on steroids to ever go wrong with the providers you have mentioned on 1. I would actually recommend to add Amazon Lightsail in this case to the list of providers you are thinking about. Its the same pricing, has more zones and gives you access to scale further to full-blown AWS in case the traffic outgrows your resources.

Thanked by 1ChrisPandey
  • I might be wrong, but doesn't VPS providers limit CPU usage?.

If you are planning to have more than 1 VPS it means you've max the CPU right? That might get your service shut down.

On a dedi you can scale without worrying to exceed limits.

Thanked by 1ChrisPandey
  • Thanks, would really like to know your opinion on why 1.

• @subhojitdutta said:
    Definitely 1 if you want more availability and since you are generating that much traffic, 1 seems to be necessary to ensure more reliability and fallback and as far as I am concerned, you'd have to be doing something very high on steroids to ever go wrong with the providers you have mentioned on 1. I would actually recommend to add Amazon Lightsail in this case to the list of providers you are thinking about. Its the same pricing, has more zones and gives you access to scale further to full-blown AWS in case the traffic outgrows your resources.

yeah, Horizontal scaling is really easy with VPSs. Also I believe VPS has more advantage in network latency compared to dedicated servers.
    I used to think that AWS costs are really really high.
    Thanks, I'll be adding Amazon Lightsail as an option for VPS.

• Jona4s said: I might be wrong, but doesn't VPS providers limit CPU usage?.

If you are planning to have more than 1 VPS it means you've max the CPU right? That might get your service shut down.

That's true, VPS providers do limit some CPU usage & is one of the main reasons for this thread to exist.

Jona4s said: On a dedi you can scale without worrying to exceed limits.

But, how can I scale on a dedi without exceeding resources ?

• ChrisPandey said: But, how can I scale on a dedi without exceeding resources ?

You can have an hybrid solution: VPS + dedicated.
    Use a VPS when it isn't resource intensive and a dedicated when it's resource intensive.

Depending on what's more demanding you can try something like this:
    Load balancer = VPS
    Web server 1 = dedi
    Web server 2 = VPS
    Database = VPS

When you get a grip of which task is more CPU/RAM demanding, move the dedicated server to serve it.

Of course that, in this case, you should have both VPS and dedicated in the same datacenter or host (with good internal network).

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I would buy more VPS if i were you.
    What you're talking about is called "n-tiers" it has its pros and cons but at least you're not in a SPOF situation where if anything goes wrong with the dedi you're stuck.

Also as i read VPS solutions offers you some flexibility and a virtual drive is often more handy than a hard drive.

Thanked by 1ChrisPandey
  • noamannoaman Member
    edited April 2019

Use Digital Ocean and use kubernetes to horizontaly scale application

Thanked by 2ehab ChrisPandey
  • If you are capable of managing your own containers and know how many iops and CPU everything in your stack needs, run the application+DB on a Single beefy dedi from a quality provider.

Later you can always scale up reverse proxies/cache nodes with cloud VMs to handle peaks. (hetzner, scaleway, ovh)

Don't forget to order a yearly-paid backup vps/space first from a separate provider before pursuing either adventure. (eg. UltraVps/InceptionHosting/Hosthatch)

• noaman said: Use Digital Ocean and use kubernetes to horizontaly scale application

Thanks,
    So Using kubernetes is a different approach than mine (Mention in the thread) ?
    If so, Can you please suggest what are the necessary requirements & technicalities of running a VPS Cluster on kubernetes ?