Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update?

Comments

• 5 per core each month is insane, if it was 5 per socket ok but for each core? Damn.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@marvel said:
    5 per core each month is insane, if it was 5 per socket ok but for each core? Damn.

Then it would be under the cost of current solus given what ryzen can do.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

marvel said: if it was 5 per socket

Taking low-end to an all-new low.

• jhjh Member

Clouvider said: Did you see the prices on the market for a similar, working, software ?

[sudoranger said] take your PMS pills.

Are there really PMS pills? Can you hook my wife up?

• @jh said:

Clouvider said: Did you see the prices on the market for a similar, working, software ?

[sudoranger said] take your PMS pills.

Are there really PMS pills? Can you hook my wife up?

Mine too lol

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Mine too please.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

But then saying that isn't OnApp like €16/cpu core?

• LeeLee Veteran

Jord said: But then saying that isn't OnApp like €16/cpu core?

I believe it is currently $12 per CPU core or thereabouts.

• @ViridWeb said:

@jackb said:
    Well, that's a hard no from us. Price difference is in the thousands/m; so roll our own becomes a viable option.

If they continue to provide services and updates for old solusvm at same price then no need to migrate to the new solus

Otherwise we may consider Openstack

Seems they will continue to support the old/current platform.
    https://support.solus.io/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007635360-What-will-happen-to-SolusVM-now-SolusIO-is-publicly-available-

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

I installed the preview on a 2 node test bed. Its very nice for a 'preview'. Up and running in a 1hour or less w/ centos8. The interface is really nice looking. However if costs are 5.50/core usd, that's too much considering when your selling a ~5/mo vps.

• LeeLee Veteran

oplink said: However if costs are 5.50/core usd, that's too much considering when your selling a ~5/mo vps.

You need to appreciate though that this is not necessarily a replacement for SVM1, if you want to keep offering sub $5 services then you need to stay with that.

This is a new product that will provide opportunities, for some existing providers in the LE* space, but not for the majority, for them its business as usual, nothing to see here but added competition that will be able to offer more.

• Wow. There's no HA and doesn't seem to be any shared storage system either?

For us, our pricing will increase 600% from what we are paying right now for SolusVM. Considering this only supports KVM, doesn't have any high-availability, pricing is way too high. I don't have customers that manage their own servers and provision new ones, so I will likely migrate to Proxmox or something that has HA and supports shared storage.

I can't believe anyone would pay that kinda money, I am not even going to install the Preview. Solus is dead to me, like it has been for 4 years.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@FalconInternet said:
    Wow. There's no HA and doesn't seem to be any shared storage system either?

For us, our pricing will increase 600% from what we are paying right now for SolusVM. Considering this only supports KVM, doesn't have any high-availability, pricing is way too high. I don't have customers that manage their own servers and provision new ones, so I will likely migrate to Proxmox or something that has HA and supports shared storage.

I can't believe anyone would pay that kinda money, I am not even going to install the Preview. Solus is dead to me, like it has been for 4 years.

I'm sure they'll implement HA eventually. There is shared storage, but it's "This feature is on its way. Stay tuned!"

• anyone tried CloudMin? it's cheap and supports many of types of containers.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@FalconInternet said:
    anyone tried CloudMin? it's cheap and supports many of types of containers.

I tried it a few years ago and It was good but I believe it doesn't support OVZ7 (yet). Am I wrong?

• @Francisco said:

@NDTN said:
    Well it will be at least 12-15x price increase for a 24-core node. For that price I would choose OpenStack + Fleio.

You should expect basically everyone to bring up their pricing now that Solus is raising theirs. There's no reason for virtualizor, Fleio, etc, to stay low when the pool of options are shallow and the likely overload of new customers moving from Solus being heavy.

Francisco

We have no plans to increase our prices.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@fleio said:
    We have no plans to increase our prices.

Nick mentioned it, but I would happily pay for sponsored development if you consider adding support for KVM alongside OpenStack.

• @MikeA said:
    Nick mentioned it, but I would happily pay for sponsored development if you consider adding support for KVM alongside OpenStack.

That's something we've been contemplating in the last couple of months. We'd need a large provider or quite a few smaller ones to make a commitment on a non-OpenStack Fleio before investing in the development. Let's talk.

• @FHR said:

KuJoe said: It would take about 1-3 months for somebody with no PHP knowledge depending on if they only work weekends.

You can write a frontend for something like Proxmox in 1 - 3 months. Full fledged panel from scratch? No chance if it's supposed to be secure, stable, scalable and just generally working.

It's more than plausible to write a panel (current feature parity) from the ground up in 3 months (with little or no prior PHP knowledge); looking at what's out there and how they actually achieve most of their functionality, I could write a panel in 2-3 weeks if I worked on it Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm.

Stability and security comes in the form of using [a] well established framework(s) instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2020

@FHR said:

KuJoe said: It would take about 1-3 months for somebody with no PHP knowledge depending on if they only work weekends.

You can write a frontend for something like Proxmox in 1 - 3 months. Full fledged panel from scratch? No chance if it's supposed to be secure, stable, scalable and just generally working.

Quite possible, Proxmox has a full fledged API, nothing big you can fuck up I can think off right now..

The base code, that NanoKVM runs on, has been made in 40 hours.
    With a selfmade API wrapper, no 3rd party.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@fleio said:

@MikeA said:

That's something we've been contemplating in the last couple of months. We'd need a large provider or quite a few smaller ones to make a commitment on a non-OpenStack Fleio before investing in the development. Let's talk.

Definitely agree with @MikeA.
    Most features should be possible using KVM only.

• @Francisco said:

@tester4 said:

@Francisco said:

@tester4 said:
    Doubt Virtualizor can increase by much, their product is nothing compared to I imagine the quality of new Solus.

Ok so what do you go to then?

Francisco

Solus, that's my point. Virtualizor increases their prices in line with the big boys, I'm going to pick Solus over Virtualizor.

They wont match but if they are even 50% of whatever solus is, it's still large increase.

Francisco

We have no plans to increase prices. Also we have hourly billing, HA support, proxmox support, etc since the last year. We also support whmcs for the hourly billing and users can create their own vms based on the plans you define. Custom iso support is also there. Virtualizor is used on 10000+ nodes and we are seeing many migrations from Solusvm.

Regards

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@virtualizor said:

@Francisco said:

@tester4 said:

@Francisco said:

@tester4 said:
    Doubt Virtualizor can increase by much, their product is nothing compared to I imagine the quality of new Solus.

Ok so what do you go to then?

Francisco

Solus, that's my point. Virtualizor increases their prices in line with the big boys, I'm going to pick Solus over Virtualizor.

They wont match but if they are even 50% of whatever solus is, it's still large increase.

Francisco

We have no plans to increase prices. Also we have hourly billing, HA support, proxmox support, etc since the last year. We also support whmcs for the hourly billing and users can create their own vms based on the plans you define. Custom iso support is also there. Virtualizor is used on 10000+ nodes and we are seeing many migrations from Solusvm.

Regards

Good on you but I could see that opinion change :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2Lee Clouvider
  • LeeLee Veteran

Francisco said: Good on you but I could see that opinion change

I think so.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jhjh Member
    edited March 2020

Solus.io is a great example of why I go straight to the pricing page when looking at software. If it costs X much, it doesn't matter how good it is.

I'm surprised more people aren't using VMmanager. Their new version looks really good and the pricing is fair for quality software (which I think it is).

Proxmox is easily adapted to add multi-node management and WHMCS integration. I know that quite a few of the companies here that can afford custom development have done this. There was also ProxCP for those who can't but it looks a bit rough around the edges.

Some of our customers pay £xxxx/month for their hosting and we wouldn't use Proxmox if we had doubts about its stability.

Thanked by 2MikeA MikePT
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jh said:
    Solus.io is a great example of why I go straight to the pricing page when looking at software. If it costs X much, it doesn't matter how good it is.

I'm surprised more people aren't using VMmanager. Their new version looks really good and the pricing is fair for quality software (which I think it is).

Proxmox is easily adapted to add multi-node management and WHMCS integration. I know that quite a few of the companies here that can afford custom development have done this. There was also ProxCP for those who can't but it looks a bit rough around the edges.

Some of our customers pay £xxxx/month for their hosting and we wouldn't use Proxmox if we had doubts about its stability.

VMmanager is nice, it's next on my list to try out.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

@FalconInternet said:
    anyone tried CloudMin? it's cheap and supports many of types of containers.

@jh said:

@jh said:

Peoples do not use Vmmanager because their WHMCS module.
    Yes they have module for WHMCS but that's useless. It doesn't have any functionality like reinstall or reboot. (I have tested 3/4 months ago. Don't know if they improve that now)

Most small provider want one out of the box solution and doesn't want to invest on their own modules.

Otherwise my personal opinion is very positive for Vmmanager.

We just don't use it because solusvm still not change their present pricing and they are providing updates continuously and it's a heavy task to migrate multiple server.

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2020

Is a VPS provider wanting software that does absolutely everything, requires near zero technical knowledge, is secure, reliable and supported, for $10

Any different from:

A VPS customer who wants unlimited everything for $1/month (paid monthly, of course!)

Better to pay a bit more and have reasonable expectations

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2020

@jh said:
    Is a VPS provider wanting software that does absolutely everything, requires near zero technical knowledge, is secure, reliable and supported, for $10

Any different from:

A VPS customer who wants unlimited everything for $1/month (paid monthly, of course!)

Better to pay a bit more and have reasonable expectations

If it costs X much, it doesn't matter how good it is.

Which is it? These are conflicting statements.

At the same time talking about customers with 4 digit monthly bills...

• jhjh Member

TimboJones said: Which is it? These are conflicting statements.

Not really. If it's cheaper to build something similar yourself (or pay a company to do it) then the off the shelf product is too expensive.