Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dumb question about IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dumb question about IPs

Sorry for the noob question. Does one IPv4 mean I can only have one server on the vps or am I missing something? I'm at subnet where I have 20 ips, but most packages I'm looking at only have 1.

Comments

• All your servers will have that very same 1 ip address. Through NAT or IPv6 you can have more servers on one IP address though.

• Ahh. That's sort of what I figured. Are there major downsides to that? I'm used to just firing up servers in impactvps and pointing the cname records.

• Do you mean several websites or other servers on the same vps?

• I'm guessing Mudmin means what are the consequences of having more than one server on the same IP. You can create a "global DNS cluster" if im not mistaken within cPanel which allows you to syncronize. Do let me know if we are wrong as we haven't needed to use this feature.

• Yeah...what WebHostingUK said....multiple servers on the same ip. I don't even know how I would configure that from a VPS perspective...I'm guessing that has to be handled at a lower level than I have access to.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

It works basicly as most home networks.
    You can add as many servers/clients/stuff you wish behind that IP.

Different services requires different setups however

Thanked by 3Ympker poisson eol
  • Right. Ok. Thank you for that.