Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gmail says 550 5.7.1 ... Sender address rejected: Common domain forgery
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gmail says 550 5.7.1 ... Sender address rejected: Common domain forgery

postcdpostcd Member
edited March 2019 in Help

Hello, i want to ask for Your help with Gmail error delivery.

The person who tried to send mail to my address [email protected] got following error.

The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
(generated from [email protected])
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.136.27]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:me@gmail.com:
550 5.7.1 otherperson@gmail.com: Sender address rejected:
Common domain forgery

[email protected] is mentioned i think because Gmail is downloading mail via POP3 from [email protected]

Is the cause of this delivery failure on the recipient side ([email protected]) or on sender side ([email protected])?

mydomain.com is using cloudflare and contains SPF record (but i guess that is not important as there is no sending-out)

On the server where is mydomain.com hosted i found relevant log entry:

/var/log/exim_mainlog:2019-03-25 time messID ** [email protected] me@mydomain.com R=dkim_lookuphost T=dkim_remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.136.27]: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:me@gmail.com: 550 5.7.1 otherperson@gmail.com: Sender address rejected: Common domain forgery

Comments

• did it ever work before? gmail tend to be more agressive when they are under "heavy load" whatever that means.

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited March 2019

yes, but due to changes (which i can not remember) i can not tell for sure what can be the cause, if cause is on my side (recipient), not on sender

EDIT: i have suspection this issue is caused by Email filters feature of my hosting account, simply the hosting account. It redirects e-mails matching criteria to my gmail account, and i had it set for all mail. Unsure how this can trigger the "common forgery" error (if this is the cause), but when i disabled that filter, it kept silent and e-mail (this particular one, test mail) was delivered.

• You know how to buy domains. Do that again.