Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex + plexdrive + google drive + serverlatency = related? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex + plexdrive + google drive + serverlatency = related?

2»

Comments

• @hacktek said:
    If it's just for you set up plex locally and mount the drive with rclone. You will go to the closest google DC which will likely be much faster than a server in france. On top of that if you plan to disable transcoding you should be able to run plex on a raspberry pi or something similar (and the pi would also be able to run rclone to mount the drive).

One issue I foresee is that, depending on the size of your library plex might take a long time to scan locally as your connection (and server device, if you use a pi) will be much slower than something set up in a DC somewhere. If you can live without metadata I'd disable that so make scanning faster.

I dont have pi. So with your method, I can setup plex locally and mount using rclone ?
    is rclone available for windows ?

The main purpose is I want to stream on my TV. If it can use directly to google drive without need VPS or dedicated is just nice. Like the plexcloud I believe.

I need metadata. I dont mind scanning taking times . as long I can play the movie fastly..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

mrlongshen said: Sg dedi is expensive. Cant afford it. If vps can.

leaseweb have some cheap dedi options in SG.

• LG use webos .. I think the cheapest way is to buy cheap Android box / stb, install Kodi and connect to your tv.

If you want cheap vps in Singapore, you can try @HostDoc , https://hostdochost.i.ng/pricing

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @mrlongshen said:

@sanvit said:
    Plex has a Windows version. Install it in your computer with a software that can mount Google Drive. Set the library folder to your mounted Google Drive. Or use rpi

How to do that ?
    I need more information on this.
    This is something new I just know from you.

I never tried on my own. It's just a concept of how to do it, and I don't guarantee if this would work or not.

Download RaiDrive (or any other software that can mount Google Drive) and PLEX server for Windows. Then do what you would do with your plex server

• @hardgamers said:
    LG use webos .. I think the cheapest way is to buy cheap Android box / stb, install Kodi and connect to your tv.

If you want cheap vps in Singapore, you can try @HostDoc , https://hostdochost.i.ng/pricing

Already have android box. My android box is low spec. Not suitable on lg web os. Huhu.

• I dont have pi. So with your method, I can setup plex locally and mount using rclone ?
    is rclone available for windows ?

Yes.

• Didn't read all the posts but I'm running a server at kimsufi with a gdrive mounted via rclone and I have 0 buffering. (except on the PS4, but that's due to the PS4 plex-application being total garbage)

• @mrlongshen said:
    No ! haha. Dont want to use my laptop.

I don't understand why people want to buy a smart TV. I just need a big screen. I can just buy any used laptop with Intel i5 and connect it to the TV for the smartest TV ever. And it wikl cost way less than a pseudo-smart TV. I can even SSH on a 50 incher yo

• @Lowfry said:
    Didn't read all the posts but I'm running a server at kimsufi with a gdrive mounted via rclone and I have 0 buffering. (except on the PS4, but that's due to the PS4 plex-application being total garbage)

I believe you are from europe. I'm from asian. Its so far and will lag

• mrlongshenmrlongshen Member
    edited March 2019

@poisson said:

@mrlongshen said:
    No ! haha. Dont want to use my laptop.

I don't understand why people want to buy a smart TV. I just need a big screen. I can just buy any used laptop with Intel i5 and connect it to the TV for the smartest TV ever. And it wikl cost way less than a pseudo-smart TV. I can even SSH on a 50 incher yo

I understand you. The problem is laptop harddisk is small. Not like pc. If like pc, sure I have bought 8tb hehe if you means to use kodi on laptop yeah it can be done just the problem is need to use hdmi. I know it small matter. But i just want to use built in application

• @mrlongshen said:
    I understand you. The problem is laptop harddisk is small. Not like pc. If like pc, sure I have bought 8tb hehe if you means to use kodi on laptop yeah it can be done just the problem is need to use hdmi. I know it small matter. But i just want to use built in application

Buy cheap second hand laptop. Money saved buys a NAS. Slot in 4 x 8TB.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • @poisson said:

@mrlongshen said:

Buy cheap second hand laptop. Money saved buys a NAS. Slot in 4 x 8TB.

NAS is very Expensive. Cant afford it. okey.. Tq for suggestions

• 0kin0kin Member

Buy a cheap server near your region, some in EU will be enough, 2 cores, 2+ Ram, 40gb+ SSD, and you will not have latency problems with plexdrive, you will not spend more than 10-15usd, luck.

• @0kin said:
    Buy a cheap server near your region, some in EU will be enough, 2 cores, 2+ Ram, 40gb+ SSD, and you will not have latency problems with plexdrive, you will not spend more than 10-15usd, luck.

Asian region dedicated server is expensive like hell.
    Hetzner got cheap dedicated but only problem the latency..
    hmmmmmm

• Jake4Jake4 Member

Why not buy a android TV box that can run Kodi, like a cheap Amazon fire stick then just install the APK on it.

• @Jake4 said:
    Why not buy a android TV box that can run Kodi, like a cheap Amazon fire stick then just install the APK on it.

Got already .
    Got tx3 mini.
    The speed not impressive.
    LAN and WIFI.
    any recommended?

• Hetzner latency to Malaysia is around 200ms, guess it should be sufficient for video streaming.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Jake4Jake4 Member

@mrlongshen said:

@Jake4 said:

Got already .
    Got tx3 mini.
    LAN and WIFI.
    any recommended?

an Amazon Fire TV Stick, you may have to import it though since they may not sell it over their

• @hellfire1980 said:
    Hetzner latency to Malaysia is around 200ms, guess it should be sufficient for video streaming.

Ok. Is video size and resolution play rules?

• @Jake4 said:

@mrlongshen said:

@Jake4 said:

Got already .
    Got tx3 mini.
    LAN and WIFI.
    any recommended?

an Amazon Fire TV Stick, you may have to import it though since they may not sell it over their

Ok jake. Thanks. Looking for it. Thought xiaomi mi box in the list..

• Jake4Jake4 Member

@mrlongshen said:

@Jake4 said:

@mrlongshen said:

@Jake4 said:

Got already .
    Got tx3 mini.
    LAN and WIFI.
    any recommended?

Any known Android TV box will do (that's powerful enough), but the Fire TV Stick is normally cheaper (at least in the UK) £29.99 vs £50->£74+ for the Mi Box

• @Jake4 said:

@mrlongshen said:

@Jake4 said:

@mrlongshen said:

@Jake4 said:

Got already .
    Got tx3 mini.
    LAN and WIFI.
    any recommended?

Any known Android TV box will do (that's powerful enough), but the Fire TV Stick is normally cheaper (at least in the UK) £29.99 vs £50->£74+ for the Mi Box

Oic. Ok thanks will consider it.