Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Company trying to charge me over bandwidth use of months back? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Company trying to charge me over bandwidth use of months back?

2»

Comments

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited March 2019

@FR_Michael said:

@deank said:
    His limit was 10TB according to his post.

35TB seems like negligence to me. 200 bucks is a cheap lesson for this though.

Given that it's a managed server and it seems that he has no chance to monitor traffic or install a software to monitor traffic it is at least bad behaviour of the provider.

In the end you caused the traffic and you should pay for it but you want to discuss with your provider how they can help you to avoid that in the future.

"Because we believe in not overselling, we usually have excess capacity and we do not configure our monitoring system to be as strict either. In this case we were notified when your usage exceeded the 30TB level over the past few hours."

This is what they told me first, they do not monitor the system to be strict but I still do not understand, they claim I have used +10TB in a day and I moved 2TB of space, I assume I would have just used 2TB of space?

And yes, it is a proactive managed server, they handle everything, if the server goes down they are notified and they log into the server.. etc

• @deank said:
    Plot twist: Basement server.

Linux ISOs.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sue them.

Or name & shame. If you are unwilling to do either, then take the abuse and pay up.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@desfire said:

@FR_Michael said:

@deank said:
    His limit was 10TB according to his post.

35TB seems like negligence to me. 200 bucks is a cheap lesson for this though.

Given that it's a managed server and it seems that he has no chance to monitor traffic or install a software to monitor traffic it is at least bad behaviour of the provider.

In the end you caused the traffic and you should pay for it but you want to discuss with your provider how they can help you to avoid that in the future.

"Because we believe in not overselling, we usually have excess capacity and we do not configure our monitoring system to be as strict either. In this case we were notified when your usage exceeded the 30TB level over the past few hours."

This is what they told me first, they do not monitor the system to be strict but I still do not understand, they claim I have used +10TB in a day and I moved 2TB of space, I assume I would have just used 2TB of space?

And yes, it is a proactive managed server, they handle everything, if the server goes down they are notified and they log into the server.. etc

In other words, they haven't done their job / what you pay them for.

We are hearing only one side of story though.

• FastmakoFastmako Member, Host Rep

@deank said:
    We are hearing only one side of story though.

TL;DR - what is the provider's website to read their Terms of Service?

edited March 2019

OP has refused to share any info on the host, so it's possible that the whole story has been made up for our entertainment.

Or he is afraid of being dumped.

• M2DEVM2DEV Member

It everything you said is true (some evidence would be nice), then you should inform other people.
    Maybe it could prevent someone from the situation you found yourself in.

My advice is still the same, find a quality provider and leave that one, as it clearly is crappy.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

@desfire said:

Retroactively charging you for overages isn't normal, usually the most you should get is overages for the current month. If they weren't monitoring and invoicing you monthly, I think that should be on them personally. But, YMMV depending on contract and jurisdiction.

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

sure thing, when you consume A LOT more bandwidth than you are entitled to, you have to pay :) however, i find it quite dodgy that netadmins of that company didnt got any notices that someone from their clients is exceeding allowed limits more than 3 times :)

• @desfire said:
    So I have been a customer with certain company for +5 years, today, they have detected my dedicated server have used more bandwidth than hired (10tb) and they created an invoice of +$200 to pay for the months I have overused bandwidth.

I understand to pay this month overuse (the limit is 10tb but they have cut my server when I reached 35tb), well actually I don't, they should have limited my server bandwith once I reached 10TB instead of letting it run, but charging me months back of something their system should have noticed or done?

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,
    The charge for a band width what we charge is 1 Gbps port unmetered transfer is around 200 to 300 $ ......,
    i don't know why they have charged so much to you.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@vinothmoorthy said:

@desfire said:
    So I have been a customer with certain company for +5 years, today, they have detected my dedicated server have used more bandwidth than hired (10tb) and they created an invoice of +$200 to pay for the months I have overused bandwidth.

I understand to pay this month overuse (the limit is 10tb but they have cut my server when I reached 35tb), well actually I don't, they should have limited my server bandwith once I reached 10TB instead of letting it run, but charging me months back of something their system should have noticed or done?

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,
    The charge for a band width what we charge is 1 Gbps port unmetered transfer is around 200 to 300 $ ......,

All bandwidth is not the same. Saying that it's not fair that their bandwidth is more expensive than yours is pretty ignorant. Please use common sense before posting.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Most providers will be willing to negotiate with you, especially if this is the first time you've gone over. Open a ticket and ask for help.

• vinothmoorthyvinothmoorthy Member
    edited March 2019

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@desfire said:

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,

All bandwidth is not the same. Saying that it's not fair that their bandwidth is more expensive than yours is pretty ignorant. Please use common sense before posting.

That's very descent price for tier one carrier.

• vinothmoorthyvinothmoorthy Member
    edited March 2019

@vinothmoorthy said:

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@desfire said:

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,

All tire one provider lies in this range.
    The price what we sell is commented.

• ChimpanzeeChimpanzee Member, Host Rep

Most provider will negotiate cause bandwidth is not ussually as epensive for them. Just tell them the truth or your version and stick with that.

@vinothmoorthy said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@desfire said:

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,

Bandwidth pricing depends on location. Since the provider wasn't mentioned you can't compare your prices to theirs, that's comparing apples to oranges. So please stop shaming the provider for not having the same bandwidth costs as you do

• @KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@desfire said:

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,

Bandwidth pricing depends on location. Since the provider wasn't mentioned you can't compare your prices to theirs, that's comparing apples to oranges. So please stop shaming the provider for not having the same bandwidth costs as you do

Without knowing the location how you tell that all that comment (please use the commonsense). Your even know about the tier 1 carriers and using kids language like apple and orange. The price of bandwidth are low because we having larger commit and small company like you doesn't have and trying to overcharge customer.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@vinothmoorthy said:

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@desfire said:

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,

Without knowing the location how you tell that all that comment (please use the commonsense). Your even know about the tier 1 carriers and using kids language like apple and orange. The price of bandwidth are low because we having larger commit and small company like you doesn't have and trying to overcharge customer.

This post is meaningless. What did you try to say?

@vinothmoorthy said:

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@KuJoe said:

@vinothmoorthy said:

@desfire said:

is this fair/normal?

No its not fair,

I'm glad you understand now. You're welcome.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3