Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Benchmark results between contabo and hetzner and some questions for future purchasees - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Benchmark results between contabo and hetzner and some questions for future purchasees

13»

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Hetzner's Julia have a character! Thought, I miss Katie. :(

• LetzienLetzien Member
    edited March 2019

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Thank you all for the feedback for our Cloud servers.

Letzien said: It isn't so much a parody as it is a documentary.

Is it? Are you Swedish? :)

Nope, I was born in a free country.

Letzien said: Do you have any Kartoffeln und Glace recipes to share?

I hate to break the stereotype but I don't like potatoes very much and I don't know what you mean by "Glace"? I'm afraid I'm not a real German...

Egg dough balls, basically. It's delicious!

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host
    edited March 2019

chocolateshirt said: Well, I got rejected when create an account on Hetzner. Even when I provided an ID for verification process.

I'm sorry about that. It's not that we don't want to have new customers. Our registration process was created to protect other Internet users from abusers. We also have to protect us as a company regarding financial validation. That's why we're really careful which orders we accept and we're generally intransparent about it so I can't tell you why your order was rejected (even if I knew why). If you're still interested in using our service and have a Paypal account, you could try out our new prepaid method option for people whose new accounts get flagged but do not want to send an ID or whose ID wasn't helpful for our team. With this option you pre-pay € 20 via Paypal to verify your account.

Benjiro said: I am not sure if everybody can pay with Paypal or this is just a leftover

For our dedicated servers our customers can pay with Paypal. Afaik, for our Cloud servers it's not possible to pay with Paypal.

LTniger said: Hetzner's Julia have a character! Thought, I miss Katie. :(

It's hard to express one's own character through written comments while answering tech-related questions at the same time. I agree that Katie has been able to do that pretty well over the last years. I still feel a little insecure being active on a highly technical forum like LET when I have no technical background myself. I do my best to learn quick and to not forget to show some humor and emotions. 😉

Letzien said: Egg dough balls, basically. It's delicious!

Yummy! If I remember correctly they are fried in hot oil and covered in sugar right? 😍

--Julia, Marketing

Thanked by 1eol
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

LTniger said: Hetzner's Julia have a character! Thought, I miss Katie. :(

As a native English speaker, I have a big advantage here on LET over Julia. I am not nearly as funny in German, especially when I have to be professional at the same time. Trust me. I am sooo grateful that LET is not in German. I'd be in trouble then. ;)

While explaining the significance of the number 42 to Julia today, it occurred to me that she would have only come across it in very specific situations; whereas I was lucky enough to have a nerdy high school teacher in Florida who made it part of our assigned reading. It can be really easy to miss a funny cultural reference and to not even know that you missed it.

Has anyone else felt this way while learning English or a foreign language...? --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1eol
  • Hetzner_OL said: As a native English speaker, I have a big advantage here on LET over Julia.

We like both of you :)

Hetzner_OL said: Has anyone else felt this way while learning English or a foreign language...?

I feel that way all the time, reading Millenialese English. I constantly have to look things up in Urban Dictionary (urbandictionary.com). Julia, that site is a very helpful resource ;).

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited March 2019

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Has anyone else felt this way while learning English or a foreign language...? --Katie, Marketing

You don't need to learn a foreign language to realise the impact of cultural references. Depending on which diet of native English you are brought up on, the same word can lead to vastly different interpretations.

If I tell an American lady, "Hey, nice thongs," I am pretty I will get a slap. If I tell an Aussie lady "Hey, nice thongs," she probably will look at her feet, then look at me and say "Thanks!"

Some American women might be offended if you address her as "Madam" while most British women would probably not bat an eyelid.

Ditto for Mandarin Chinese. If I call a lady in a bar小姐, I will be slapped and chased out, but if I do the same in Singapore, the lady would think that I am polite.

Knowing the nuances among varieties of the "same" native language is complicated enough as it is. You don't need a foreign language to commit faux pas.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

Letzien said: Egg dough balls, basically. It's delicious!

Yummy! If I remember correctly they are fried in hot oil and covered in sugar right? 😍

That sounds much better than boiled, and dumped in butter and milk, which is a much more German thing to do.

--Julia, Marketing

I think Julia is possibly French. Watch out, Katie!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @poisson said:

If I tell an Aussie lady "Hey, nice thongs," she probably will look at her feet, then look at me and say "Thanks!"

You mean 'pluggers'.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2019

Usually in western languages there is some quite reliable connection between verbs and substantivs, e.g. to cook, the cook or kissing, the kiss. In French, however, baiser (subst. I hope I got the spelling right) is a kiss, while baiser (verb) means to f_ck. I learned that the hard way with a french girl when I was young ...

Thanked by 1poisson
  • Can anybody post Geekbench result of Contabo VPS S SSD?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Luke007 said:
    Can anybody post Geekbench result of Contabo VPS S SSD?

How dare you to derail this thread with a question related to OP?

Thanked by 1poisson
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited March 2019

@jsg said:
    In French, however, baiser (subst. I hope I got the spelling right) is a kiss, while baiser (verb) means to f_ck. I learned that the hard way with a french girl when I was young ...

I was going to make a joke about how hard the french girl found you.. but nevermind..

• @Luke007 said:
    Can anybody post Geekbench result of Contabo VPS S SSD?

I pulled this one out from a previous LET thread: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10073816

The original thread here: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/152160/contabo-changed-their-vps-pricing-again/p2

Thanked by 1Luke007