Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LetsEncrypt problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LetsEncrypt problem

jcalebjcaleb Member

Hello, I'm on Debian hosting a Java App. In front is nginx and I configured with letsecrypt for https. It's been working for 8 months or so already.

Just this hour, my browser reports the cert expired March 22. But when I check the vps, it was renewed already.

/etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.com/fullchain.pem expires on 2019-05-21 (skipped)

Please help

Comments

• Sorry, I restarted nginx and all are good now. Anyway this can be resolved without restart?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

Nvm. Glad it's resolved. Have you tried turning it off and on again :P

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Maybe add a cronjob to reload nginx every month or so? AFAIK new certs are only loaded when nginx reloads or restarts.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • nginx -s reload

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Ympker said: Nvm. Glad it's resolved. Have you tried turning it off and on again :P

I just restarted "service nginx restart" and all worked!

sanvit said: Maybe add a cronjob to reload nginx every month or so? AFAIK new certs are only loaded when nginx reloads or restarts.

thats what I did just now. I was wondering if there is nginx config that I miss so I dont need to cron

• thanks so much guys

• FastmakoFastmako Member, Host Rep

Confirm. A simple reload of Nginx is the way to solve it. As mentioned: you can put it in cron.

• akhfaakhfa Member

Just use traefik and don't worry about letsencrypt anymore :wink:

• banxixbanxix Member
    edited March 2019

Apache2 has graceful restart that just reload the configuration and no downtime.

• @banxix said:
    Apache2 has graceful restart that just reload the configuration and no downtime.

This is what an nginx reload does. It spawns new processes under the new config to handle new connections and closes off the old processes once they're done with the connections they're working with.

Two really great commands for things like this where you also don't want downtime!

Thanked by 1maverickp